Author Topic: Kansas v Kansas State brawl  (Read 17971 times)

Kansas v Kansas State brawl
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:01:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Kansas v Kansas State brawl
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I hate when players get all whiney and mad because someone wants to pad their stats in a blowout

Who cares? It’s disrespectful? Maybe. But it doesn’t condone hard fouls or  pushing or violence

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
that is pretty awful. Kansas' season as a contender may be over, and i would not mind it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I hate when players get all whiney and mad because someone wants to pad their stats in a blowout

Who cares? It’s disrespectful? Maybe. But it doesn’t condone hard fouls or  pushing or violence

Reading this, and watching the play at first, I was kind of surprised.

I thought the winning team was padding their stats in a blowout, which I could see setting off a brawl.

But it's a lot harder to get mad at the team down 22 for going hard till the end.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I thought the winning team was padding their stats in a blowout, which I could see setting off a brawl.

But it's a lot harder to get mad at the team down 22 for going hard till the end.
Yeah, the walk-over the guy who you blocked, who happened to be down 20, was unnecessary, and the whole chair-throwing is probably going to end his season (rightfully). What a fool

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Yeah, the walk-over the guy who you blocked, who happened to be down 20, was unnecessary, and the whole chair-throwing is probably going to end his season (rightfully). What a fool

I've definitely entered "old man" status.  I remember watching games like this with my dad when I was a teenager, I loved this stuff (still do), but could hear him mumbling things like "what a punk, I hope that guy is never allowed to play basketball again." 

And now here I am thinking the same thing.  What a punk.  You're a bench player averaging 2.8ppg, who played less than a minute until garbage time.  You're the last person who should be out there talking trash.  (Also the last person who should be bringing the ball up too).  I'm not mad at the block, you can showboat a little, scream, yell whatever.  But he acted so deeply offended by the steal and the layup attempt.  How can you be so riled up after playing a couple of minutes of garbage time?  Then throwing punches, grabbing chairs.  This guy is a punk.

Although who knows, maybe the K State players had taken some cheap shots at him earlier, or was talking trash himself, or they have a history, or something.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:48:59 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:57:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I've definitely entered "old man" status.  I remember watching games like this with my dad when I was a teenager, I loved this stuff (still do), but could hear him mumbling things like "what a punk, I hope that guy is never allowed to play basketball again." 

And now here I am thinking the same thing.  What a punk.  You're a bench player averaging 2.8ppg, who played less than a minute until garbage time.  You're the last person who should be out there talking trash.  (Also the last person who should be bringing the ball up too).  I'm not mad at the block, you can showboat a little, scream, yell whatever.  But he acted so deeply offended by the steal and the layup attempt.  How can you be so riled up after playing a couple of minutes of garbage time?  Then throwing punches, grabbing chairs.  This guy is a punk.

Although who knows, maybe the K State players had taken some cheap shots at him earlier, or was talking trash himself, or they have a history, or something.
I will admit, it is somewhat hard to comment on the action without knowing exactly what had been going on the whole game. I didn't watch the game itself. There looked to be some physicality in the minute or so leading up to the block/brawl, but no more than I would expect in a rivalry game.

I've also never gotten not playing until the end. That's a very American sports thing that I don't see replicated anywhere in Australia, and I don't think I see it in many, if any European sports. Always been odd to me that teams don't respect each other enough to finish the game

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The kid picking up a chair reminds me of a few YouTube rabbit holes I’ve fallen down, where you end up in some 2nd or 3rd Basketball League in Greece/China.

Exhilarating stuff

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The kid picking up a chair reminds me of a few YouTube rabbit holes I’ve fallen down, where you end up in some 2nd or 3rd Basketball League in Greece/China.

Exhilarating stuff
It took me back to the Australia v Philippines brawl

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:35 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'd say that De Sousa of Kansas pulled a very dumb, immature move standing over the K-State guy he blocked, and hopefully his season is over. Total punk move, regardless of what might've happened earlier.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I hope De Sousa gets banned from playing basketball for the rest of his pro career, but that ain't gonna happen.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I hope De Sousa gets banned from playing basketball for the rest of his pro career, but that ain't gonna happen.

This is either a slip of the tongue or a lovely little dig at Kansas, but I'll TP it either way.

Agree with everyone that standing over the K State guy and taunting him were beyond the pale, but that still doesn't warrant a fight. A lot of people need to be held responsible for their part. Some would argue that going after the ball down 22 is a clown move but meh, less so in college than the pros and doesn't warrant anything that followed.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Love the fire, love the passion. Stevens should take note.

Just kidding.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 01:13:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Per ESPN, De Sousa has been suspended indefinitely pending outcome of review by Kansas & Big 12.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I mean, he took it too far, but the kid from Kansas State started it. Kansas was just going to dribble out the clock and the kid stole it to get a cheap stat-stuffing two points.

The kid from Kansas absolutely did the right thing by blocking the kid. After an amazing play and the punctuation mark block, he was feeling himself a bit a decided to rub it in. It's not good sportsmanship, but it's also not uncommon for 19-year-old on the basketball court. He took it too far, undoubtedly, but the idea that he should banned from playing professionally is just straight-up idiotic. I actually disagree with him being suspended indefinitely too.

The aftermath was messed up, but again, not unusually for young guys in an emotionally charged moment. They deserve consequences, especially the big guy who was kicking the Kansas state player on the ground.

Unfortunately, as per usual lately, the consequences are more about saving face than about fair punishments and teaching the young men how to be men. Because of the outrage on ESPN and media, they feel the need to go big with the suspensions.

Honestly, this in a small way mirrors a problem I have at the end of a lot of Celtic blowouts. The Celtics often run out the clock in the last minute without trying to score more points, but the other team decides to try to score anyway when they get the ball back. I'd love a Celtic to stuff a player and then stare over them when the other team is unsportsmanlike in that way. Point differentials only matter in two ways: betting and they've become a predictive indicator of contender status. I'm not a better, but when other teams score 2-5 points in the last minute and the Celtics don't try to score, it affects the narrative about the Cs' status among the top teams.