Author Topic: Anthony Davis signs max contract with Lakers  (Read 4330 times)

Re: Anthony Davis signs max contract with Lakers
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Portland are only team in the West that can beat them (hopefully)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Portland are only team in the West that can beat them (hopefully)
disagree

I think Nuggets, Clippers have a shot

and Suns have an outside chance

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Lakers are going to win banner 18 within the next 5 years before the Celtics, sadly. Could see them going on a repeat/3peat. No team in the West can stop them currently.

Can't see LeBron slowing down with age. And Davis...we all know how injury lucks work. Guy gets season-ending injury with the Pelicans but can play 82 games with the Lakers. That's just how it is.

Lebron will probably not slow down at 36 but the decent drop off for older Super stars like Kobe and Duncan and others started at 37 and a bigger falloff at 38...Unfortunately when Lebron hits that age, they will probably replace him another star to join Davis. Now it is possible Lebron has more in him and could emulate a Jordan but even Jordan took a few years off before coming back and putting up decent numbers for his last two years.

Davis- who knows how that body will last....could be Duncan like or take a turn for the worse. Big bodies always have a good deal of risk but his seems like it could be one that lasts into his mid to upper 30’s.

I look forward to seeing Tatum and Brown face off vs. that team!

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 01:59:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lakers are going to win banner 18 within the next 5 years before the Celtics, sadly. Could see them going on a repeat/3peat. No team in the West can stop them currently.

Can't see LeBron slowing down with age. And Davis...we all know how injury lucks work. Guy gets season-ending injury with the Pelicans but can play 82 games with the Lakers. That's just how it is.

Lebron will probably not slow down at 36 but the decent drop off for older Super stars like Kobe and Duncan and others started at 37 and a bigger falloff at 38...Unfortunately when Lebron hits that age, they will probably replace him another star to join Davis. Now it is possible Lebron has more in him and could emulate a Jordan but even Jordan took a few years off before coming back and putting up decent numbers for his last two years.

Davis- who knows how that body will last....could be Duncan like or take a turn for the worse. Big bodies always have a good deal of risk but his seems like it could be one that lasts into his mid to upper 30’s.

I've felt for awhile that body type, conditioning, etc. that Lebron is very close to Karl Malone and while Malone obviously wasn't the player he was early on at age 39 and in year 18, Malone played 81 games averaged 36 mpg and was still basically a 20/8/5 type player.  The year before he was basically a 22/9/4 player.  He just went down very slowly and as long as Lebron avoids the devastating injury, I think he is much more likely to have that sort of downward swing just based on everything we've seen from him so far (Kareem was also another one of those slowly get worse type players). 

That said, Lebron has way more miles on his legs than probably any other 36 year old in history.  He has played a ton of basketball, so comparing him to other long time greats he might be more like a player in his 40's than his actual age, which makes what he is doing all the more impressive.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

I've felt for awhile that body type, conditioning, etc. that Lebron is very close to Karl Malone and while Malone obviously wasn't the player he was early on at age 39 and in year 18, Malone played 81 games averaged 36 mpg and was still basically a 20/8/5 type player.  The year before he was basically a 22/9/4 player.  He just went down very slowly and as long as Lebron avoids the devastating injury, I think he is much more likely to have that sort of downward swing just based on everything we've seen from him so far (Kareem was also another one of those slowly get worse type players). 

That said, Lebron has way more miles on his legs than probably any other 36 year old in history.  He has played a ton of basketball, so comparing him to other long time greats he might be more like a player in his 40's than his actual age, which makes what he is doing all the more impressive.

Excellent comparison. Malone is very similar with body type and work ethic minus the extra games Lebron has on his legs like your brought up . TP!

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
For u young folks who don’t remember Len Bias, he reminds me of LeBron James
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 06:31:18 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
https://twitter.com/nbamemes/status/1102399622385823745

The key is making Lebron work on both ends. He looked his age before AD signed in. Celtics have the best weapon to counter the Lakers but we have to get past through the east first.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 09:46:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

With LeBron's athleticism, I haven't seen him torn an ACL, MCL or an Achilles in his pro-career. This guy is on some serious steroids. Even explosive guys like Rose, Durant, Wall, Kobe, CP3, Thompson, Curry, Cousins all had their fair shares. It's ridiculous

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 10:10:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

With LeBron's athleticism, I haven't seen him torn an ACL, MCL or an Achilles in his pro-career. This guy is on some serious steroids. Even explosive guys like Rose, Durant, Wall, Kobe, CP3, Thompson, Curry, Cousins all had their fair shares. It's ridiculous
steroids are often more likely to cause injury as they weaken tendons with extensive use. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 11:30:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
For u young folks who don’t remember Len Bias, he reminds me of LeBron James

Bias was a better shooter... :'(

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 03:03:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

or he is a unique ..... but since we hate him that cannot be it .....

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 07:44:23 AM »

Online ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
It's amazing how healthy Lebron has been all these years no dropoff. Almost Bonds like.
ok fine