Author Topic: Thinking 'outside the box' about the LA/SAC pick...  (Read 1055 times)

Thinking 'outside the box' about the LA/SAC pick...
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
So every time I hear about this pick Philly is supposed to send us, it's 1 of 4 ways to cash in. 

1) LA's pick lands #2-5 and we get it this year, 2) it doesn't land #1 in 2019 and we get SAC's pick, 3) it does land #1 and we get Philly's pick (please God no), or 4) we flip it in a package for a young stud big (the names that keep popping up are mainly Anthony Davis and Porzingis). 

However, in pre-emptively preparing myself for the letdown of not picking #2-5 this year, it occurred to me that if the LA pick doesn't convey, but Danny falls in love with a non-top 3 or 4 guy like maybe Bamba or Robert Williams... why can't Danny flip the SAC pick, another 1st and one of our less heralded young'uns for a 2018 lottery pick?

I know the pick will lose value if LA doesn't convey because no one knows how bad SAC will be the next year, or if we'll even end up with their pick... But it gives me hope that we could get a 2018 stud even if LA doesn't hit.  I'm thinking of big men here, but it could be anyone. 

What do you think?  Is this realistic?  Would you trade the SAC pick in a package to acquire a top guy in 2018, and if so, which guy and what does that package look like?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Thinking 'outside the box' about the LA/SAC pick...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I for one am more worried about the season than the draft.   I get its a thing to look forward too, but I want to see what CBS does with Kyrie and how the other pieces fit.

I think Ainge was ahead of the game with the potential draft changes and was probably thinking ahead as he always does so...

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I for one am more worried about the season than the draft.   I get its a thing to look forward too, but I want to see what CBS does with Kyrie and how the other pieces fit.

I think Ainge was ahead of the game with the potential draft changes and was probably thinking ahead as he always does so...

Can't fault you for that. 

While it might seem like a strange thing to say about a final 4 team, I personally am looking at this year as a developmental year.  Pending the Warriors' team plane spontaneously combusting I feel it's pretty certain who's going to win the chip, and with only 4 guys on a 15 man roster returning this year (three of them between 20 and 24 years old), I just want to see guys learning to play with each other, getting better, and no one getting seriously hurt. 

Don't get me wrong, I want to make the finals and upset the Warriors if possible, but I view this pick as crucially, crucially important.  I think it could be the difference between the Celtics becoming the new Warriors after the original Warriors dismantle... or losing to Philly every year.

So yeah, I'm hyper-focused on this pick, and way too early too... but I think it's a big deal. 

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Maybe even as early as Memphis pick 2020.
I am not entirely introduced to the proposed change. Top 6 protected and unprotected in 2021. That is if Memphis doesn't already give it up in the 2019, it is top 8 protected then. Hopefuly Conely and Marc will hold the fort for 2 more years and we get a valuable asset. I also believe that the rules wouldn't come into place as early as 2019. Any info on that?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Maybe even as early as Memphis pick 2020.
I am not entirely introduced to the proposed change. Top 6 protected and unprotected in 2021. That is if Memphis doesn't already give it up in the 2019, it is top 8 protected then. Hopefuly Conely and Marc will hold the fort for 2 more years and we get a valuable asset. I also believe that the rules wouldn't come to place as early as 2019. Any info on that?

I think I have the same info that you probably have: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20710936/nba-board-governors-vote-draft-lottery-reform-sept-28

Stumbled upon this and had it on in the background at work today, it's Lakers/Celtics focused and might have some info for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loxjb3hwNsQ

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I like having this pick in our possession at the trade deadline.   
Diggles

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think the Celtics are who they are going to be for the next 10 years barring the LA pick ends up in the top 5 which would be amazing but unrealistic. If the Celtics are going to win multiple championships then I think certain things must happen and here they are:

1) Jaylen Brown-develops into an all-star player or at least a real good starter. I see signs this could happen but this year will tell us a lot. I think he averages 12/5/4 if he starts at shooting guard this year with hopefully decent shooting numbers
2) Jayson Tatum-He must develop into an all-star level player witin the next 3 to 4 years and have production similar to Paul George or Jimmy Butler which I think is very realistic.
3)Kyrie Irving needs to take another step into his development and be in contention for MVP. This is also realistic.
4) Marcus Smart becomes a better shooter
5) Get a decent rim protector and rebounder
6) Young players continue to develop

There are so many things that can happen such as trades for Anthony Davis or luck into a good player in the draft but I think the items above will determine what the Celtics will be for the next 10 years.

I'm sure some will disagree but the Celtics have to hit on some of these draft picks like Golden State did with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green or they will be mediocre in the coming years.

By the way, I reviewed hours of Luka Doncic gAMES AND highlights from the Eurobasket 2017 as well as other games and I am going on record right now he will be the next great MVP comparison to Larry Bird. Everyone tends to compare a great white player to Larry Bird but I think people will be comparing players to Luka Doncic when his career is finished. This guy is scoring against NBA LEVEL PLAYERS at FREAKING 18 YEARS OLD in the Eurobasket 2017 tournament with ease!!! He was driving on Porzingis with ease and hitting step-back three pointers and throwing no look passes like magic Johnson. This guy is the full package with rebounding, shooting, and passing. Take it to the bank on this guy because I'm convinced he will be a top 5 player in the NBA. COME TALK TO ME IN 5 YEARS WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think the Celtics are who they are going to be for the next 10 years barring the LA pick ends up in the top 5 which would be amazing but unrealistic. If the Celtics are going to win multiple championships then I think certain things must happen and here they are:

1) Jaylen Brown-develops into an all-star player or at least a real good starter. I see signs this could happen but this year will tell us a lot. I think he averages 12/5/4 if he starts at shooting guard this year with hopefully decent shooting numbers
2) Jayson Tatum-He must develop into an all-star level player witin the next 3 to 4 years and have production similar to Paul George or Jimmy Butler which I think is very realistic.
3)Kyrie Irving needs to take another step into his development and be in contention for MVP. This is also realistic.
4) Marcus Smart becomes a better shooter
5) Get a decent rim protector and rebounder
6) Young players continue to develop

There are so many things that can happen such as trades for Anthony Davis or luck into a good player in the draft but I think the items above will determine what the Celtics will be for the next 10 years.

I'm sure some will disagree but the Celtics have to hit on some of these draft picks like Golden State did with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green or they will be mediocre in the coming years.

By the way, I reviewed hours of Luka Doncic gAMES AND highlights from the Eurobasket 2017 as well as other games and I am going on record right now he will be the next great MVP comparison to Larry Bird. Everyone tends to compare a great white player to Larry Bird but I think people will be comparing players to Luka Doncic when his career is finished. This guy is scoring against NBA LEVEL PLAYERS at FREAKING 18 YEARS OLD in the Eurobasket 2017 tournament with ease!!! He was driving on Porzingis with ease and hitting step-back three pointers and throwing no look passes like magic Johnson. This guy is the full package with rebounding, shooting, and passing. Take it to the bank on this guy because I'm convinced he will be a top 5 player in the NBA. COME TALK TO ME IN 5 YEARS WHEN THIS HAPPENS.