Author Topic: Celtics at crossroads this season.  (Read 3781 times)

Re: Celtics at crossroads this season.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Danny should have learned his lesson after he traded Perk and we never sniffed the Finals again - all in the name of becoming more "athletic".

Get real Perk was never the same and DA got rid of him at the right time.

Look at his stats, he was nothing after 2010....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01.html

It is fan myth that he still had something in the tank because he was journeyman after that.

I agree.  I loved Perk, but have always thought Danny did the right thing at the right time.
it hurt since perk was my favorite celtic then. but yes, he fell off a cliff in terms of performance. plus, wasnt he up for salary increase? i am not positive on the point, but danny did the right thing for that time.

He was a FA at the end of that season, and ended up signing a 4/33 contract. There's no way we were gonna pay him that, and after his injury he really wasn't worth it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
LeBron James is still considered the 10

No longer, he is a 9.5 this year and this number will be going down soon.

I'm not a fan of his by any means, but come playoff time he'll morph into a monster once again. I know his years are numbered, but for the next few years given a good cast of players, he'll be in the finals again. Unfortunately, for him the Lakers are not that team.

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Marcus Morris is the kind of guy you trade for when he's underpaid and wants to get properly paid.

You let somebody else overpay him after he's played great in a contract year.

I love Morris and defended him a lot when he was in his valleys last season. I'm incredibly happy to see him peaking right now. But I do think that's what we're seeing: his peak. And in today's NBA he's probably going to triple his salary this summer and the Celtics just can't afford that along with Kyrie's bump and already being in the tax.

My hope is that his peak can contribute to a championship this season before he leaves. I mean, it would be terrific if he said, "I love Boston so much and I don't care about money so I'm just going to take $8 mil a year," but I don't see that happening.

Wish him well, hope that Hayward is fully back to form next season and Semi is ready for a bigger role.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Marcus Morris is the kind of guy you trade for when he's underpaid and wants to get properly paid.

You let somebody else overpay him after he's played great in a contract year.

I love Morris and defended him a lot when he was in his valleys last season. I'm incredibly happy to see him peaking right now. But I do think that's what we're seeing: his peak. And in today's NBA he's probably going to triple his salary this summer and the Celtics just can't afford that along with Kyrie's bump and already being in the tax.

My hope is that his peak can contribute to a championship this season before he leaves. I mean, it would be terrific if he said, "I love Boston so much and I don't care about money so I'm just going to take $8 mil a year," but I don't see that happening.

Wish him well, hope that Hayward is fully back to form next season and Semi is ready for a bigger role.
Horford could opt out of his contract and the Celtics could give him a four year deal in the $17 million a year range. So that would be the equivalent of Horford keeping his 4th year and then signing a 3 year $38 million deal to remain with the team. The $13 million could then go to re-signing at around $15 million a year deal.

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I always felt like our "The Crossroad" was last summer when we introduced 13 new players to our roster. Now it is just a gradual built on that foundation.
Wyc has always been clear about luxury tax payment when contending, which we are now.
So nothing new on that front.

You make no sense at all. The time is coming. Players will be leaving, players will be traded, and players will be signing somewhere else. This was going to happen.

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I always felt like our "The Crossroad" was last summer when we introduced 13 new players to our roster. Now it is just a gradual built on that foundation.
Wyc has always been clear about luxury tax payment when contending, which we are now.

You make no sense at all. The time is coming. Players will be leaving, players will be traded, and players will be signing somewhere else. This was going to happen.

This literally happens all the time.

You can draw a crossroads at almost any point in time if you really want to.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

This literally happens all the time.

You can draw a crossroads at almost any point in time if you really want to.

Very true.

The thing is when Celtic fans get a team full of players they love , the players they envision to be here forever, its not the case, the players they think wont want to leave will most likely leave. Its almost a guarantee that Brown, Morris, and even Smart could be gone at a snap of a finger, even Tatum. Then when contracts are up who knows again.

You are right it happens at any point in time, but sometimes when the team is full of studs and likable guys people deny it.