Poll

Do you believe the Celtics can still come back from down 3-1?

Yes
14 (41.2%)
No
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?  (Read 22193 times)

Re: Down 2-0, Do You Believe?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Unfortunately no. We looked outclassed against the Heat’s offense and the Heat just mesh together real well.

On defense, we don’t have an answer for Jimmy Butler and Bam in the paint, which then opens up a bunch of great looks for Dragic, Robinson, and Herro. They’re killing us on the offensive rebounds.

On offense, we’re back to chucking up trash shots. I don’t think I need to elaborate.

The most concerning thing was the team’s demeanor in the second half of last game though. Just after you thought they had their moment of being forged by overcoming a tough Toronto series they absolutely collapse at the first sign of trouble. I don’t trust this team to compete for a full 48 minutes if it ever gets tough. If we go down 15 points in the 3rd I fully expect the team to mail it in. We still have some maturing to do.

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Kemba is a major disappointment come playoff time.

Being undersized is always a factor that other teams try to exploit in the playoffs. From all the players still active in the playoffs Walker is probably the smallest guy out there.

Also a bit strange that when you have players like Walker and Kanter on the court that can't defend other positions you still employ a switch-heavy defensive scheme.

I really crinch when Adebayo finds Butler (being guarded by Walker) in the post with a simple entry pass and Miami gets an easy lay-up. That stuff shouldn't be happening.

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Disagree with this. He's been exactly what he was in the regular season, except his 3 point shot has disappeared.

Against Philly he averaged 24/4/4 on 49/30/92 shooting splits.

Against Toronto he averaged 17/6/4 on 42/28/84 shooting splits. Without his two shockers in G6 and G7 his averages are a quite rosy 20/6.5/3.5 on 49/32/89 shooting splits.

Against Miami he is averaging 21/5/5 on 40/25/78 shooting splits.

I get that his efficiency has been down, but that happens to most small guards come playoff time. He has been one of our best in some games (G4 against Philly, G1 against Toronto, G3 against Toronto, G2 against Miami). He has had bad games, and I've been as mad as anyone. But I would really love to know your expectations if he's been a 'major disappointment'
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2020, 11:28:58 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Three to go!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2020, 11:30:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
1 down, 3 to go!

Sucks we're down 2-1 still, but this is still anyone's series and Hayward being back is huge.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2020, 11:32:35 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Disagree with this. He's been exactly what he was in the regular season, except his 3 point shot has disappeared.

Against Toronto he averaged 17/6/4 on 42/28/84 shooting splits. Without his two shockers in G6 and G7 his averages are a quite rosy 20/6.5/3.5 on 49/32/89 shooting splits.

I get that his efficiency has been down, but that happens to most small guards come playoff time. He has been one of our best in some games (G4 against Philly, G1 against Toronto, G3 against Toronto, G2 against Miami). He has had bad games, and I've been as mad as anyone. But I would really love to know your expectations if he's been a 'major disappointment'
His TS% hasn't budged much FWIW: 56.4% compared to 57.5% in the RS. Kemba has been fine in the playoffs efficiency wise although his scoring volume has dropped quite a bit.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2020, 11:51:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His TS% hasn't budged much FWIW: 56.4% compared to 57.5% in the RS. Kemba has been fine in the playoffs efficiency wise although his scoring volume has dropped quite a bit.
Yeah, I think it's more untimely bad games against Toronto. He's been really solid last two games
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2020, 12:21:13 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
A good punch in the face to all the negativity in this forum. If we keep this mentality, if Hayward step up a little, we will do it. We are the best team and it is not underestimate Heat.

All people said we were outclassed by a team that we dominate 9 quarters on 12 and beat us just in the last seconds nd OT... Lol. They are [dang] hot but we are the better team by far, esp with Hayward back and Ojeleye still in the bench. Ag Heat our small ball seemed to be very effective...

Continue to execute, defend good as we know the 3 point line... Take the next match.. And open a topic "2-2, do you believe the Heat can still win ?". Maybe we will see all the  negativ people turning their jacket...

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2020, 01:43:37 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
We need to reclaim home-court advantage and also win at home, but I'm also liking this road-warrior run. Winning all our playoff games on the road so far. Let's keep it up.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
win wednesday and the momentum is on the Celtics side. Hayward may just be what the doctor ordered. They shot 59% against the zone last night.

IF they have figured out the zone, there is no stopping the celtics IMO. Also expect hayward to knock some of that rust off and start scoring more. Its someone else the heat have to worry about. I doubt they were losing sleep defending Semi and his bricks

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2020, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
A good punch in the face to all the negativity in this forum. If we keep this mentality, if Hayward step up a little, we will do it. We are the best team and it is not underestimate Heat.

All people said we were outclassed by a team that we dominate 9 quarters on 12 and beat us just in the last seconds nd OT... Lol. They are [dang] hot but we are the better team by far, esp with Hayward back and Ojeleye still in the bench. Ag Heat our small ball seemed to be very effective...

Continue to execute, defend good as we know the 3 point line... Take the next match.. And open a topic "2-2, do you believe the Heat can still win ?". Maybe we will see all the  negativ people turning their jacket...

We can miraculously win Banner 18 and there'll still be negativity lol. That's the nature of sports blogs  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

We can miraculously win Banner 18 and there'll still be negativity lol. That's the nature of sports blogs  :P

Surely! You know I am also a big fan of my hometown soccer team, Strasbourg. We felt 10 years ago in bankrupty and went to 6 division. Before we had a blog and spectators well known to be difficult many eager ones. But when we rebuild the team, progress from division to division, our public became so positiv, until people admit now we have the best support in all France. But as we are since 3 years in first division, people begin again to have old pretention, the positiv stuff about coming from amateur divisions begin to disapear... Sometimes it' harder to accept and to drive passion when we have high expectation or a high idea of ho we are and who we support.

« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2020, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It's more about the timing of his bad performances. We win if he even plays below average in game 1 . And that wide open corner 3 before the half in game 2 to go up by 20 was a bummer, too. MIA got two quick hoops and cut the lead to 13 (and we know what happened after that). At the very least, we should be up 2-1 in the series.

While people have been hard on Kemba, he is a star player and we need him to play as such to win this series. Hopefully he has righted the ship and Hayward's presence will take some pressure off of him. I am looking forward as to how he performs as we progress through the series.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:34:38 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

It's more about the timing of his bad performances. We win if he even plays below average in game 1 . And that wide open corner 3 before the half in game 2 to go up by 20 was a bummer, too. MIA got two quick hoops and cut the lead to 13 (and we know what happened after that). At the very least, we should be up 2-1 in the series.

While people have been hard on Kemba, he is a star player and we need him to play as such to win this series. Hopefully he has righted the ship and Hayward's presence will take some pressure off of him. I am looking forward to as to how he performs as we progress through the series.

Too bad the C's could've easily been up 3-0 if they took care of business in Game 1, held onto that lead in Game 2

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I wouldn't say it's been a "major" disappointment, but I have been hoping for more from him. The dip in 3-pt percentage is a problem for the Cs, and he hasn't made up for it in other areas. I don't see better game management or ball distribution. He's contributed to stagnant ball movement, and especially against Toronto, failed iso-ball.

Size can be a problem for in the playoffs, but I don't think that's all there is to it. Kyle Lowry and Fred Van Vleet are both listed at 6'0". It's true that Toronto's out of the playoffs, but Pascal Siakam had a lot more to do with that. Lowry was probably the second best player in that series (to Tatum) and I'm sure some people would say he was the best.

Wanamaker seems to have raised his game as well.