Poll

Do you believe the Celtics can still come back from down 3-1?

Yes
14 (41.2%)
No
20 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?  (Read 22344 times)

Re: [Down 2-0, Do You Believe?] Updated: Down 3-1...How 'bout now?
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2020, 11:41:07 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
1 down, 2 to go!!

I still think the odds are low we come back to win this series, but I’ll say this. If the C’s play like they did in the 2nd half more often in the next two games, then yeah, they absolutely can force a Game 7 and win it.

I thought we’d win Game 5, but Game 6 will be the toughest game. Honestly, I think this series will end either Heat in 6, or Celtics in 7.

One game at a time

I agree...if the Heat lose game 6 it's all over for them
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2020, 11:51:39 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I believe! One at a time! Defense and Drive!

« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2020, 12:00:30 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
1 down, 2 to go!!

I still think the odds are low we come back to win this series, but I’ll say this. If the C’s play like they did in the 2nd half more often in the next two games, then yeah, they absolutely can force a Game 7 and win it.

I thought we’d win Game 5, but Game 6 will be the toughest game. Honestly, I think this series will end either Heat in 6, or Celtics in 7.

One game at a time

I agree...if the Heat lose game 6 it's all over for them

So it's like whoever comes back up from 3-1 to force a Game 7, usually the comebacker wins the series now or what  ???

But yeah, Game 6 the C's need to play perfectly.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2020, 12:06:58 AM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
It feels like Game 6 is really Game 7 in this series. Just a whole different mentality if this thing ends up tied 3-3.

« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2020, 12:17:20 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
It feels like Game 6 is really Game 7 in this series. Just a whole different mentality if this thing ends up tied 3-3.

Every game, including this past one, has been a Game 7 for us really  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2020, 12:17:42 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Riley will have a cow if they blow game 6 .....because it becomes sudden death next game for heat too.

« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2020, 05:41:26 AM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
The Cs are so streaky I honestly don't know.  Whatever happens, it's nice not to go out in 5, especially after the 1st half horror show.

« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2020, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
if the Celtics can play like they did the 2nd half of game 5 and bring it to game 6. sure we can take it to game 7 and anything can happen.

I just hope this wont be a repeat of game 3 to 4 where the celtics looked like they turned it around just to go back to their old ways.

« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If Big Papi's Red Sox, Tom Brady's Patriots and also Larry Bird's 1981 Celtics have taught me anything, it's that any comeback is possible. So yeah, I think Boston can run 3 straight on Miami.

In theory, if Boston actually played to their potential, they should have no problem doing so. I maintain my belief that the C's are the better team, but credit to Miami that they are playing like they care and are making more plays in the clutch than we are. Hate to say it but sometimes I think the C's are just out there for the sake of being out there, that's it. Tatum had a great 2nd half but was basically MIA (no pun intended) in the 1st half entirely in Game 4.

Sometimes that's just how sports goes, and that's the beauty of sports. The better, more talented team(s) don't always win it all at the end and there's reasons for it.

I’m in agreement with this statement.

C’s came in the series showboating in game 1, made a statement in game 3, relaxed in game 4 and came out too tight in game 5.

While the 41-pt 3rd quarter was an anomaly, we really should be beating the Heat if we had that all-business mentality. Miami isn’t really better than us. But they beat us in close games because they can out-execute and out-effort us. That’s why their win margins have been so small (and “lucky”) while our wins make you wonder why we aren’t up this series.
- LilRip

« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think going into this series, the Celtics figured they would have an easier time than the did vs. the Raptors.  They beat the Heat two out of 3 regular season games, even without their full lineup.  And it certainly felt that way in the first quarter of game 1.  The Heat defensively struggled against our players.

But then the zone really messed them up. Still can't figure out why, since Raptors gave them plenty of zone looks.  I think big guys at the top of zone like Butler made it more difficult to penetrate. 

Here we are, down 3 games to 2.  I can't help but think of '04, when the Red Sox were down 3-0.  They barely won the next 2 games, to take it to 3-2.(both games went extra innings, game 5 went 14). 

This is the bloody sock game for us.  We need someone like Schilling to step up and lead the team, to tear out their throats.  We saw glimpses of that last game from Tatum.  Maybe the two headed monster of Tatum and Brown.  Maybe Smart. Maybe Kemba.  Point is, this is the game where the Heat are going to do EVERYTHING to close this series out in game 6.  Because there is a voice in the heads telling them they better not let this one slip away.

If we do pull out the next game, I love our chances in a game 7.  No guarantees here, I'm still trying to figure out team out. I continue to lobby for Rob Williams minutes.  Kanter was good in his first half stint.  He didn't hurt us on the defensive end much. But that is fool's gold.  Spoelstra is too good a coach not to take advantage of him next game.

« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
If Big Papi's Red Sox, Tom Brady's Patriots and also Larry Bird's 1981 Celtics have taught me anything, it's that any comeback is possible. So yeah, I think Boston can run 3 straight on Miami.

In theory, if Boston actually played to their potential, they should have no problem doing so. I maintain my belief that the C's are the better team, but credit to Miami that they are playing like they care and are making more plays in the clutch than we are. Hate to say it but sometimes I think the C's are just out there for the sake of being out there, that's it. Tatum had a great 2nd half but was basically MIA (no pun intended) in the 1st half entirely in Game 4.

Sometimes that's just how sports goes, and that's the beauty of sports. The better, more talented team(s) don't always win it all at the end and there's reasons for it.

I’m in agreement with this statement.

C’s came in the series showboating in game 1, made a statement in game 3, relaxed in game 4 and came out too tight in game 5.

While the 41-pt 3rd quarter was an anomaly, we really should be beating the Heat if we had that all-business mentality. Miami isn’t really better than us. But they beat us in close games because they can out-execute and out-effort us. That’s why their win margins have been so small (and “lucky”) while our wins make you wonder why we aren’t up this series.

Exactly. All of Miami's wins have been by just 3 or 5 points, while Boston wins are in double digits. Miami wins usually by hanging in there and doing just enough late to win. But if the C's could actually pull away with a lead like they did last night, they should have no problem winning. That didn't happen in Game 1 and 2 though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
That "defensive foul" by Theis where Dragic shot from the 3 is the most embarrassing defensive foul call in NBA history. That was an extremely terrible call

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
That "defensive foul" by Theis where Dragic shot from the 3 is the most embarrassing defensive foul call in NBA history. That was an extremely terrible call

I feel the reffing has been pretty fair this series, including last night's.  If anything, the Heat had a legit claim on that last foul by Dragic; his leg up seemed like a natural basketball move for a lay up. Was surprised that wasn't overturned on review.  Caused him to foul out.

« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I feel the reffing has been pretty fair this series, including last night's.  If anything, the Heat had a legit claim on that last foul by Dragic; his leg up seemed like a natural basketball move for a lay up. Was surprised that wasn't overturned on review.  Caused him to foul out.
It's called a makeup call. I don't mind it, at least they try to make it fair

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Do not be fooled by Dragic - he is as crafty as they come. Whether it be throwing his knee at a player going to the hoop or constantly getting elbowed/shouldered in the jaw on defense, he is always trying to get an advantage. Luckily the refs wised up to what he is trying to do out there and hopefully that continues.

Last night we had three calls that amounted to 10 points in the Heat's favor and we were still able to win handily. Kemba's and Theis' fouls on 3-point shooters were non-existent, and Kemba had a 4-point play taken away (we did not score on that possession). I understand that Butler got ripped off on a no-call for a goaltend, but like two plays later, Jaylen was clearly taking the ball to the hoop when he got fouled and we inexplicably did not get FTs. I won't go into the Tatum push-offs; that is literally Dragic's go-to move.