Author Topic: Celtics may be broken  (Read 14424 times)

Re: Celtics may be broken
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
practice is overrated at this point in the season.

Definitely shows how little it matters when the Celtics have consistently improved their record in the second half of the season every year of Stevens' coaching tenure.

A lot of it is improved rotations but practice and especially rest due to having off days for practice are tremendously important when it comes to a Stevens' led team.
The Cavs don't practice at all and have won 19 of 20 games.  Practice is great in the off season and to get you ready for the season, but it really isn't all that useful to a team during the season (it is also why you often see videos of guys coming back from injury playing 4 on 4, but those 8 often include staff, deep bench players, etc.).  Film study is far more useful, which is why teams do that.
Cleveland is a very veteran team. Those type of teams need days off more than they need practice. Remember that was the way Doc handle the last 3 years of the Big 3 era.

These Celtics are ridiculously young and will need the practice to reinforce fundamentals on the offensive sets and defensive rotations. With the amount of days off between games in the second half of the season, I see Stevens practicing the team a lot
Maybe, maybe not.  The Cavs are older sure, but they also have a lot of new players this year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:35 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So yeah...this team is in trouble. Get beat by Jonas Jerebko, get blown out by the Bulls, lose to Kelly Olynyk. It took a Pacers turnover to beat the Pacers.

This team looks like a #5-seeded team without that massive win streak.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2017, 05:00:57 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Form comes and goes. We also held Golden State to 88 points earlier in the season, beat the Spurs and a bunch of others strong clubs, so I am not overly reacting either way.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Form comes and goes. We also held Golden State to 88 points earlier in the season, beat the Spurs and a bunch of others strong clubs, so I am not overly reacting either way.

We routinely play to the level of our opponents

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
So yeah...this team is in trouble. Get beat by Jonas Jerebko, get blown out by the Bulls, lose to Kelly Olynyk. It took a Pacers turnover to beat the Pacers.

Everyone down on the C's right now wants to bring that up, and it's true, but it cuts both ways. The C's blew a lead and lost by just 3 points to the Spurs and were a Kyrie mid range J from winning last night. As easily as the C's could be 3-5 in their last 8 games they could just as easily be 6-2. Let's not overreact to an underwhelming stretch.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Everyone down on the C's right now wants to bring that up, and it's true, but it cuts both ways. The C's blew a lead and lost by just 3 points to the Spurs and were a Kyrie mid range J from winning last night. As easily as the C's could be 3-5 in their last 8 games they could just as easily be 6-2. Let's not overreact to an underwhelming stretch.

Just be ready for a long season...

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This team needs to rejuvenate.
They are tired and its obvious..Kyrie's shot usually finds the middle of the net is now either short, flat and clanking..same with Rozier and Al.

We need R E S T.

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Point still stands as the Celtics just lost to the Knicks...of all teams.

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2017, 11:23:18 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
I think it's time for a players-only meeting. Celtics have been dropping games left and right, and especially on games they should be winning. I would understand losing to the Spurs..but really, the Knicks, the Bulls, the Jazz?? Let Kelly Olynyk and his Heat light up the Celtics?

Oh mang.

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The problem is the team is top heavy  and lacks veteran depth on the bench. Brown and Morris  are out so we are left scrambling relying on rookie ojeleye off the bench and what not

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2017, 06:29:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Always.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
NO REBOUNDING NO DEFENSE NO ENERGY. They just look done as if the season is over.

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I like where we're at now as a team...

- Jaylen is currently the 5th most improved player, scoring-wise
- Tatum is on the trajectory to be a superstar
- We are getting valuable minutes from Thies, Baynes, Rozier and Larkin
- Kyrie is a legitimate MVP candidate
- CBS is a legitimate Coach of the Year candidate
- Horford is playing excellent basketball
- We have the best record in the league despite having the most hectic schedule

The one thing I dislike about this team is Marcus Morris... I don't think he fits this team and CBS' system... he's a shoot first gunner and he constantly force shots on the second unit... ball movement basically dies once it touches his hands. The Celtics aren't broken but I can smell us using the DPE soon..

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I wonder if the schedule is catching up to them and they are tired, not much time to practice. they mentioned during the game how the raptors have one more loss than us BUT we have played something like 4-5 games more than them. that is a pretty big difference in games played.

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The one thing I dislike about this team is Marcus Morris... I don't think he fits this team and CBS' system... he's a shoot first gunner and he constantly force shots on the second unit... ball movement basically dies once it touches his hands. The Celtics aren't broken but I can smell us using the DPE soon..

Morris has had his moments, but he looks terrible when he is off. If we are going to have a player iso and take fall-away long 2s, I want that player to be either Irving or Tatum. Morris needs to work on the defensive end and become less of a ball-stopper on the offensive end if he has any chance of sticking around. He has a great contract, but that doesn't mean he is a great player.