Author Topic: Lakers Name Magic Johnson President of Bball Ops  (Read 9628 times)

Re: Lakers Name Magic Johnson President of Bball Ops
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Great news!!   Magic is a boob.  That dooms the Lakers for the next few years.

he has been really really successful in business, why a boob?

Yeah, I don't get it either. Even the Dodgers haven't won, they are in it every year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/magic-johnson-los-angeles-lakers-president-twitter/qovjqg6fbyns19bbj1wfid9l7

If you don't believe me, just watch some clips of his late night TV show. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
apparently money = intelligence

i'm an idiot!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Magic is a lot smarter then people give him credit.

First of all.. all the extremely plain/ boring/ uninspired things that Magic has said over the years that make him appear like a person with no brain... its all pretty much 100% on purpose.  The dude cant take any risk to hurt any of his business.. he has to be careful with what he says.  So he comes off as Dull and Boring and maybe a bit "dumb".

Magic isnt dumb, hes probably the smartest ex-nba player ever. And it might not even be that close.  He is worth half a billion dollars, he's hella smart.

Being a great NBA player does not make you a great GM, Coach, President, whatever. 
Coach Magic sucked.  GM McHale sucked.  President Jordan sucked.  US Representative to Korea Rodman sucked. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

First of all.. all the extremely plain/ boring/ uninspired things that Magic has said over the years that make him appear like a person with no brain... its all pretty much 100% on purpose.  The dude cant take any risk to hurt any of his business.. he has to be careful with what he says.  So he comes off as Dull and Boring and maybe a bit "dumb".

Magic isnt dumb, hes probably the smartest ex-nba player ever. And it might not even be that close.  He is worth half a billion dollars, he's hella smart.

There's no doubt that Magic Johnson is a smart person, his basketball mind that is in question here. Remember this is a dude who actually said this...

and these...

https://twitter.com/jtylerconway/status/834106411483328512

(although he's looking like he nailed the Waiters one just a tad bit)

Hard to not think this could be disastrous, basketball wise of course, when he makes comments like that...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Someone posted some screenshots of Magic Tweets about the moves made by other teams over the years.  There are some doozies:

Don't forget this gem:

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson  6 Mar 2014

The only way San Antonio or Miami don't win the championship is if neither team makes the finals.

Checks out.
Um San Antonio beat Miami in the Finals that year.  So he got that one right. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Lakers are desperate for a star. supposedly no one is safe on the Lakers if they can get a start back.
Reports are the Buss and Kupchak failure to get Cousins cost them their jobs.   

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
dup...

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Someone posted some screenshots of Magic Tweets about the moves made by other teams over the years.  There are some doozies:

Don't forget this gem:

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson  6 Mar 2014

The only way San Antonio or Miami don't win the championship is if neither team makes the finals.

Checks out.
Um San Antonio beat Miami in the Finals that year.  So he got that one right.

You don't say. However, the list of teams who have won a title without making the Finals is rather short. It's like saying the only way the Celtics or Lakers won't get the first draft pick is if neither wins the lottery.

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hes already spoke to two teams about a trade lol

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

There's no doubt that Magic Johnson is a smart person, his basketball mind that is in question here. Remember this is a dude who actually said this...

and these...

(although he's looking like he nailed the Waiters one just a tad bit)

Hard to not think this could be disastrous, basketball wise of course, when he makes comments like that...

Phoenix needs to offer him Brandon Knight ASAP!

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Lakers as others have said will not go any lower. They need to tank this year. They have a good coach and some good young players. If they can find a taker for Deng. Get Mosgov to Hakeem and Kareem he could be OK. I for one hope he does well but not well enough. He will not be better than DA with trades and He sure does not know talent. But Danny Ferry is out there.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Lakers are desperate for a star. supposedly no one is safe on the Lakers if they can get a start back.
Reports are the Buss and Kupchak failure to get Cousins cost them their jobs.
they are desperate and entitled...I LOVE IT!!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2017, 07:12:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Congrats to him.

Regardless of our rivalry with the Lakers I'm happy for Magic and seeing him back in the NBA in this capacity. He does have a sharp business mind (his work with Starbucks) and I'm sure he will do well.

Also congrats to Ms. Buss - I'm certain it was not easy to make this move.

Her brother WILL remain as a part owner and they WILL be bringing in a GM, from what the CNN article says.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/sport/magic-johnson-lakers-president/index.html

"Today I took a series of actions I believe will return the Lakers to the heights Dr. Jerry Buss demanded and our fans rightly expect," Jeanie Buss said.

"Effective immediately, Earvin Johnson will be in charge of all basketball operations and will report directly to me. Our search for a new General Manager to work with Earvin and Coach Luke Walton is well underway and we hope to announce a new General Manager in short order. Together, Earvin, Luke and our new General Manager will establish the foundation for the next generation of Los Angeles Lakers greatness."

Regarding her brother, she said, "He is an owner of this team and we share the same goal: returning the Lakers to the level of greatness our father demanded. Our fans deserve no less
."

I wish him success - all the way up until they play BOSTON.

The Clippers could potentially be in a state of flux if they don't have a successful playoffs this year. The Lakers "could" soon be the best team in LA again. Wouldn't that be interesting.

Stay busy, Danny - I wish to keep our feet on the Laker's throats for as long as possible because I believe Magic will have some measurable success in this new role.

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
And he just landed a first for Lou Williams. The Magic era is off to a strong start.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
And he just landed a first for Lou Williams. The Magic era is off to a strong start.

He hasn't even got his nametag on the door of his office yet and he has made a trade. C'mon Danny!