Author Topic: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"  (Read 9715 times)

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "he's a poor mans draymond green"
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2019, 11:56:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
look at this block.... amazing

It's true Williams is not above the rim.  But he has underrated athleticism. Functional. A guy who lacks athleticism/can't jump....can't block shots like this 

https://youtu.be/PkR54jCy3V0?t=101
#2 was against his new teammate.

this one below was even more impressive IMO.  He gets bumped by Edwards in mid air and still somehow gets a hand on the ball. wow 

It's like he can slow down the play.  It was injustice that this play wasn't the game ending play.  Then again if you an Edwards fan, it was nice that it went to OT lol. 

overall its cool to have these two on the same team.  They are probably going to lift lots of iron at the gym. Beasts

What a block by Grant on Carsen
https://youtu.be/c7rYdTLxXTA?t=319

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This is the old Draftexpress style strenghts and weaknessses analysis of Grant Williams. Very nicely done by the basketball writers.  There isn't one of Edwards or Langford.

Strengths of Grant Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3I6unqUOlA

Improvements areas for Grant Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJGmmTYXtc

Williams two immediate areas of concerns are lateral quickess (decent but could be better) and extending range/speeding up long distance shooting touch

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 12:26:48 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This is the old Draftexpress style strenghts and weaknessses analysis of Grant Williams. Very nicely done by the basketball writers.  There isn't one of Edwards or Langford.

Williams two immediate areas of concerns are lateral quickess (decent but could be better) and extending range/speeding up long distance shooting touch

He spoke on lateral quickness in a draft interview (I think it was), he said that was one of his main focus points along with the 3 point shooting (they said he has been 60% in training).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 12:33:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He spoke on lateral quickness in a draft interview (I think it was), he said that was one of his main focus points along with the 3 point shooting (they said he has been 60% in training).

good to hear this

I like this type of specifics vs

"I need to work on everything"

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 02:02:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

good to hear this

I like this type of specifics vs

"I need to work on everything"
Also speaks volumes as to how NBA ready he is.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I supposed Grant Wiliams could be the next Jared Sullinger.  Not a terrible pick for sure, but someone that could frustrate fans due to lack of athleticism (thus limiting his overall ceiling).

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I supposed Grant Wiliams could be the next Jared Sullinger.  Not a terrible pick for sure, but someone that could frustrate fans due to lack of athleticism (thus limiting his overall ceiling).
He was the strongest person in the draft not named zion

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Sullinger ate his way out of the league. Williams is already in way better shape than Sully was ever in.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I see a healthier Leon Powe. Sully lacked willpower.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Also Sullinger bench pressed 185 pounds only 9 times

Grant did 20

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Grant did 20

As an aside... 20 reps of 185 was the second strongest at the combine?

I’m not exactly a power lifter, but before I dislocated my shoulder I could do that easily. I considered my strength to be above average, but nowhere close to exceptional.

Is it the longer arms? Lack of strength training?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 08:51:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Grant did 20

As an aside... 20 reps of 185 was the second strongest at the combine?

I’m not exactly a power lifter, but before I dislocated my shoulder I could do that easily. I considered my strength to be above average, but nowhere close to exceptional.

Is it the longer arms? Lack of strength training?

Much easier for some one with short arms to move the same weight.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I see a healthier Leon Powe. Sully lacked willpower.
I don't really see Leon Powe. Williams is a much better passer and shooter, and Powe was a better rebounder and more suited to defend bigs I think
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 09:46:29 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

I’ve watched quite a bit of Grant at Tennessee.

I think Williams has a better sense of his strengths than Sully did.  Sully hucked threes, despite being a poor shooter... I’d be surprised if we see anything like that from Grant.  He also has terrific court awareness at both ends, which makes up for his physical limits... to what extent, we’ll find out. 

I think Paul Millsap is Williams’ perfect world upside.  Not sure how close he realistically gets to that though.  I like his game a lot, but we were able to get him at 22 for some valid reasons.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Some negatives about Grant Williams

He plays small as, he isn't that big. ( I can't really say a lot more on the negative side). I'm sure he'll figure it out, bu,t he will be "among the trees" when working inside in the NBA and he will not be leaping over them.

He is a superb team player.
Plays hard on defense and is in position.
He is fluid, will be difficult to push around inside despite his size.
He is a really impressive shooter.
Soft hands and solid shooting form.

Against Vanderbilt (who had a bad year). OT game
38 mins - 8 rebounds - 23 for 23 from the line - 43 points

Obviously, his best offensive game, but, listen, not many players anywhere or ever can hit 23 straight free throws in a legit conference game.

He also participated in the national chess championships which means we put him and Brown together on off days and we have the best chess team in the league.