Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics  (Read 10572 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2018, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Isaiah is not bitter about being traded, but rather the realization that he'll never get that max contract he envisioned with his brinks truck comment.

BTW, I do believe Isaiah's brinks truck comment was fairly significant in the grand scheme of things. To me, Isaiah was basically telling the Celtics through the media to pay me or trade me, because he would leave to get paid somewhere. Danny was never going to give IT a max contract, and the Celtics would not have received anything once Isaiah left in free agency.

The Brinks truck comment meant nothing. All it did was get some thin-skinned people riled up online. The two things that got Isaiah dealt were his size being a big liability on defense and the fact that he blew out his hip during the preceding season. Ainge isn't stupid enough to cut ties with a player for wanting a paycheck, but he knew that at that point Isaiah was damaged goods (which, again, he gutted through the injury for the benefit of the franchise and delayed his own recovery in the process, ending in a terrible season and minimum contract, making any Cs fans that can't just appreciate the guy and move on clowns).

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
For the rational and appreciative fans... have we identified the reason for the IT hate yet?  Is it simply because Danny said so?  Hes no longer a Celtic?  Or he answered a reporter's question qbout his value with confidence, as all athletes do. 

All the angry an al fans rely dislike Kyrie too, correct? IT has mostly complimented our organization and Brad after he was screwed over, while Kyrie trashed his after making threats to force his 2ay out

The homerism definitely elevated last summer and continues today.

Pls excuse typos.  Rushed and on phone.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Isaiah is not bitter about being traded, but rather the realization that he'll never get that max contract he envisioned with his brinks truck comment.

BTW, I do believe Isaiah's brinks truck comment was fairly significant in the grand scheme of things. To me, Isaiah was basically telling the Celtics through the media to pay me or trade me, because he would leave to get paid somewhere. Danny was never going to give IT a max contract, and the Celtics would not have received anything once Isaiah left in free agency.

The Brinks truck comment meant nothing. All it did was get some thin-skinned people riled up online. The two things that got Isaiah dealt were his size being a big liability on defense and the fact that he blew out his hip during the preceding season. Ainge isn't stupid enough to cut ties with a player for wanting a paycheck, but he knew that at that point Isaiah was damaged goods (which, again, he gutted through the injury for the benefit of the franchise and delayed his own recovery in the process, ending in a terrible season and minimum contract, making any Cs fans that can't just appreciate the guy and move on clowns).

I didn't say the brinks tuck comment was the only reason. Yes, obviously his size being a liability on defense and his hip were also huge factors. But he's not growing any time soon, and who knows when or if his hip will fully heal. Even with those two things known, Isaiah still felt he was deserving of the max when he made the brinks truck comment.

I don't know the answer to this, but did Isaiah play through the injury for the benefit of the team, or for personal gain to prove despite his size, he can play through an injury and is deserving of a max contract?

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 12:27:49 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
Even with those two things known, Isaiah still felt he was deserving of the max when he made the brinks truck comment.

...and? Seriously - and? You think this was going to be the first time Ainge had negotiated a contract and got scared?

I don't know the answer to this, but did Isaiah play through the injury for the benefit of the team, or for personal gain to prove despite his size, he can play through an injury and is deserving of a max contract?

So that's what we're going with now? That gloryhound Isaiah very selfishly decided to lead the Boston Celtics to the Conference Finals, which was actually a bad thing?

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2018, 12:42:21 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Isaiah has every right to be peeved at the Celtics just like the Celtics had every right to move him along when the opportunity for an upgrade came along.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Roy is right....not sure why people are nitpicking his quite accurate main point.

IT:
IT will probably be mad at Danny for years to come....why?  Not because he didn't get a boatload of money out of the Celtics.  He's mad because he loved being a Celtic, leading the team, his teammates...everything.  He's mad because he had some terrible luck and then lost being a part of something very special.  Why slam the guy when all he wanted was to be a Celtic???  Of course getting paid by the team he loves would have been nice to...but it's not the money that's causing him to go through this period of bitterness. (he may be bitter about losing out on big money due to bad luck...unrelated to bitterness at cetlics.  he knows the Celtics wouldn't have done charity once he got injured)

Danny:
I'm sure trading IT for Kyrie was an easy GM decision for Danny, but that doesn't mean it wasn't hard for him to do on a human level.  Danny knew IT loved it in Boston, had just lost his sister, had an historic season for the Celtics.  Danny is "cold" strictly on GM level, but let's not act like on a human level he's a robot or something...he's not. No one really likes to inform others of crappy, I mean really crappy news, especially when responsible for that news..

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
IT isn’t wrong. Neither is DeRozan. “Loyalty” is a one-way Street. Players are expected to give “home town discounts”, while teams show no loyalty to players.

I agree, they are right, but you and they need to stop pretending that players are loyal. They want their pay and/or minutes and a large role or they leave! It's a business and there is no loyalty on both sides! How loyal was IT4 when he signed in Phx then immediately starting crying about his role pretty much forcing his way out?

This is revisionist.  It never happened that way.  Dragic is the one who complained publicly and frequently.   Everyone expected Dragic to be traded.  It was a shock when PHO traded both of them.  Thomas was only traded because Danny dangled a 1st round pick for a guy McDonough mistakenly thought of as a bench player.   IT never asked to be traded from PHO and if anything was expecting to get more minutes once Dragic was traded.

And Roy never asserted that players are loyal so it's a straw man to tell him to stop pretending such.   

And your assertion that they want such-and-such "or they leave" ignores the reality that players can't simply leave unless they are free agents.  Which only occurs under certain circumstances once or twice very briefly in the typical player's career.   Outside of those brief moments, most players have no control over 'leaving' their situation whereas teams for the most part almost always at least have the ability to trade most players.

All of this is your opinion and mine, we weren't there, but I do know I saw IT4 complaining in a lot of videos that season.

I've followed IT's career since before he was recruited to my alma mater.   He grew up not far from where my father lived. I've followed his whole NBA career and I watched what happened in PHO.  It did not at all go down as you are portraying.  You are misremembering.

Again, when players get what they want, they expect loyalty, when they don't get what they want they move on.

And again, not unless they are free agents or have enough stature and leverage to actually force a trade to where they want.   Neither is a common situation.  The latter is especially rare.

Teams, however, almost alway have the ability to trade the majority of players at any time outside of the trade moratorium.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Loyalty isn't a one way street.

Of course it is, and there’s an obvious reason for it: the fans only hold one side accountable.

No they don't. I was mad as hell at Danny for trading away Perk & Thomas and I said so - several times. Mostly what I got for my opinion on this board was criticism for daring to question Danny Ainge (OMG !!!). I also took exception to the way Danny treated Ray Allen, Leon Powe and most recently, Marcus Smart (to name a few). He treats our players like car parts.

On a related note, the title of this thread is kinda funny - There is nothing "veiled" about Thomas' comments. They are directed at Danny Ainge, no question.

I think you missed the point, or stopped reading. The side the majority of fans hold accountable regarding loyalty is the players, not management.

I'm not sure I follow your logic Roy. If this is the case, IT should be complaining about Celtics fans not Ainge.

This doesn't make any sense.   Roy's point is actually supported by the fact that YOU got "criticism for daring to question Danny".

And as far as I can tell, IT isn't complaining about Ainge.  He simply asserted that there is no loyalty.   Why that is taken as criticism is puzzling.   Because there isn't.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Isaiah has every right to be peeved at the Celtics just like the Celtics had every right to move him along when the opportunity for an upgrade came along.

This pretty much is spot on.

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I see several posters mentioning all the IT hate. While there are always a few negative Nancies out there, I think the vast majority of people appreciate his efforts in Boston and are happy we got such a great return for him (and the pick/Crowder/Zizic). And almost everybody is relieved that we didn't sign him to a huge contract because his market value is apparently the vet min (which seems totally unfair, btw).

If people are still hating on IT, well, that is just kicking a man while he is down. Most of the people I've seen are really pulling for him to make an epic comeback and get at least one big contract. I don't include people who think athletes make too much and we shouldn't feel bad for them - that is obviously a given. Their salaries in comparison to the general public are absurd...but they do generate the revenue, so they are earned.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:35:11 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Unfortunately this is accurate and we all know IT will always speak his mind.  Not saying that it's always a good thing.  Especially when the dig is against your favorite team but it's true.  This league is a business and should be on both ends.  Players and teams should always do what is best for them.  Loyalty in sports is over rated.  If a team stays loyal and keeps aging players and don't win the fans revolt.  If a team trades a favorite player or doesn't resign them the fans revolt unless the team wins then the fans move on quickly.  Players have the short end of the stick.

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
why do I have to feel bad for IT or side with him? he's a player whose game has no substance. what I mean by that for those that need that explained to them is he was a guy who needed the ball in his hand all the time to let you know he was even playing and he needed about 8 picks every possession to be able to score.

he was not a good player. and the reason why smart got the money and IT didn't is because marcus could score 0 pts and have way more of an impact on winning than if IT scored 40.

avery Bradley, Olynyk, amir and crowder along with IT - they were the bridge team. all guys that play so hard but aren't very good. the plan all along was to have a team that entertained the fans - they did that. meanwhile behind the scenes danny was paying attention to the real players JB, Tatum and Smart.

ownership and danny wanted C's fans to like those IT led guys. but you don't have to love them, you're all taking it further than they ever intended. you owe them nothing.

Andrew DeClercq played hard for this team, should we have signed him to a max deal? maybe throw a parade to let him know how much we appreciate him?

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
IT isn’t wrong. Neither is DeRozan. “Loyalty” is a one-way Street. Players are expected to give “home town discounts”, while teams show no loyalty to players.

see Smart, Marcus

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
why do I have to feel bad for IT or side with him? he's a player whose game has no substance. what I mean by that for those that need that explained to them is he was a guy who needed the ball in his hand all the time to let you know he was even playing and he needed about 8 picks every possession to be able to score.

he was not a good player. and the reason why smart got the money and IT didn't is because marcus could score 0 pts and have way more of an impact on winning than if IT scored 40.

avery Bradley, Olynyk, amir and crowder along with IT - they were the bridge team. all guys that play so hard but aren't very good. the plan all along was to have a team that entertained the fans - they did that. meanwhile behind the scenes danny was paying attention to the real players JB, Tatum and Smart.

ownership and danny wanted C's fans to like those IT led guys. but you don't have to love them, you're all taking it further than they ever intended. you owe them nothing.

Andrew DeClercq played hard for this team, should we have signed him to a max deal? maybe throw a parade to let him know how much we appreciate him?

Mr. [GreenWarrior], what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent [post] were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this [thread] is now dumber for having [read] it. I award you no (Tommy) points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
LOL and a TP for you. 

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2018, 09:27:18 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

You're just going to keep pretending that Isaiah never got injured and this is just what his actual market was, huh?