Author Topic: Anyone concerned about Mook's recent slump?  (Read 3380 times)

Anyone concerned about Mook's recent slump?
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Marcus Morris Sr.  point totals the last 4 games:  8,  6,  8,  8   While shooting .286 overall and .235 from three.

It's not the point totals, so much as the inefficient shooting that troubles me.

Maybe he has an injury that I am not aware of?

I know it is a very long season and anyone can string together some bad games, but 4 in a row???

I will be watching him closely tonight against Miami.

If this continues (i.e. he has come back to earth), does Brad make a change to the starting lineup yet again?

Re: Anyone concerned about Mook's recent slump?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Its normal.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Concerned? No. He wasnt gonna be a 50, 45, 90 guy like he was trending, hes never even approached those type of shooting splits. But hes better than he is the last 4. It will all even out in the end, even with this míni slumps he is still good.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Concerned? No. He wasnt gonna be a 50, 45, 90 guy like he was trending, hes never even approached those type of shooting splits. But hes better than he is the last 4. It will all even out in the end, even with this míni slumps he is still good.

This. He's been overachieving to such a degree this season that he can regress a little and still be better than he was last season. He's not going to be great every night.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I was never a fan of his game. He's a ball stopper. Most of the times he only cares for his own shot. Hope we find good value for him at the deadline. Don't expect us to trade him, but that's what I would try to do. His value on the market must be pretty high at the moment.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 02:05:40 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I have a developing theory that Morris playing poorly is better for the Celtics. Need to investigate and deep dive into stats when I have some free time.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It was inevitable law of averages would catch up with him. His shooting was unsustainable.  I had suggested possibly selling high on him right before his recent dip ... my thought being it was totally possible he would hit a rough patch and fans would be clamoring for us to start jaylen or Hayward.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I was never a fan of his game. He's a ball stopper. Most of the times he only cares for his own shot. Hope we find good value for him at the deadline. Don't expect us to trade him, but that's what I would try to do. His value on the market must be pretty high at the moment.

It was inevitable law of averages would catch up with him. His shooting was unsustainable.  I had suggested possibly selling high on him right before his recent dip ... my thought being it was totally possible he would hit a rough patch and fans would be clamoring for us to start jaylen or Hayward.

Both of these! Sell sell sell...  :P

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Selling high on Morris might bring you back a super-late first or a couple of 2nds. He has been great for us this year, but I just don't think he holds much value. I will be surprised if he gets more than the MLE this off-season (even if he deserves more).

If we can trade him and get under the luxury tax, I would be all over it. Morris helped keeps us afloat to start the year, but I doubt he will be the reason we win it all and he probably isn't in our future plans.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 02:26:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

But what can you get for him?  Doubt anyone would give up even a late 1st for him since he's an unrestricted free agent. 

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

But what can you get for him?  Doubt anyone would give up even a late 1st for him since he's an unrestricted free agent.

Strictly talking picks, how about a late 1st from a team like HOU. Not necessarily this year
For players, I gotta look at what cheap productive players are under contract for 2019-2020

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No

Morris is a role player.  Sometimes he's hot, sometimes he's not.  But even when he isn't scoring his scrappy hustle plays affect the game in a positive way.

Re: Anyone concerned about Mook's recent slump?lump goes
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He's in a slump? Bench him!!!!

No seriously, slumps happen. He's had an outstanding first half of the season. Some regression to the mean is expected.

Depending how long and deep the slump is will determine if Morris' spot in the starting unit gets put into play. If his slump coincides with slow starts at the beginning of halves, then maybe he will need to be moved to the bench.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Strictly talking picks, how about a late 1st from a team like HOU. Not necessarily this year
For players, I gotta look at what cheap productive players are under contract for 2019-2020
I was probably bit too hasty there and I took the good teams in the East off the table since I doubt Ainge would trade with them.  Houston is a possibility.  They do have luxury tax concerns and it sounds like they are going to get Faried off the buyout market. 

We really don't need another late 1st and I'm not sure who you could get that would help our playoff chances better than Morris.  Seems like you'd need to combine Morris with Rozier or someone else in a 2 for 1 + filler type deal.   Now if there is some good friend of AD available that's a different story. 

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
nope

soon as you count him out he ll have 25 and 10

he provides the effort relentlessly lik Smart ...it will pay off