Author Topic: Pritchard is still a valuable player:  (Read 3800 times)

Pritchard is still a valuable player:
« on: September 26, 2022, 01:50:05 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-boston-celtics-pp-no-16/

“But there’s plenty of value in what he does. During his two NBA seasons, Pritchard has a top-40 assist-to-turnover percentage (among players with at least 100 assists) and is tied for 11th in 3-point percentage (among players with at least as many attempts as him).”

Re: Pritchard is still a valuable player:
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 02:38:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm interested to see if his role will be any different, both without Ime and with a slightly different team make-up.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 08:01:18 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Should have a role if Boston does the right thing and starts brogdan.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 08:10:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regardless of who starts, because of the lack of quality on the bench for big men, Tatum will be playing a bunch at the 4, Brown a bunch at the 3, and either Smart or Brogdon at the 2.

That means Pritchard will probably get 10-15 MPG. He's going to need to be THAT bulldog defender that can hit threes like he was for portions of the end of last year. If he can do that, he will carve out a nice role for himself here for many years......the Eddie House role, kinda.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The thing with Pritchard is that he was 22 when drafted where some are only 19.  Those drafted at 19 are still younger than Pritchard was when he was drafted.  That isn't to say that Pritchard wasn't a great pick, he has been a very pleasant surprise and he has definitely outplayed his draft position.

As to the coming season, unless there is a trade or an injury, it is going to be tough for him to get more minutes (he averaged 14.1 min last season).  To me, he is a guard and is going to compete for minutes with Smart, White, and Brogdon.

I see the guards as Smart, White, and Pritchard.  The wings are Tatum, Brown, and Hauser.  Brogdon is likely to slot right in between these two.  I consider Brogdon more guard than wing but due to our roster balance, he should be in the mix for both.

If you look at guards and wings and assume that we mostly play with 2 bigs, that means we mostly play with some combination of 3 guards and wings.  That is 144 minutes.  Assume Smart, Brown, and Tatum take at least 96 of those minutes, that leaves only 48 min to share between Brogdon, White, Pritchard, and Hauser.  Brogdon will likely play 24+, White 18 or more.  That doesn't leave very many minutes for Pritchard.  I know there will be some 1 big minutes in the mix too and some rest nights for Brogdon but I think it is clear to see that it is going to be tough for Pritchard to get more minutes.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 08:27:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Regardless of who starts, because of the lack of quality on the bench for big men, Tatum will be playing a bunch at the 4, Brown a bunch at the 3, and either Smart or Brogdon at the 2.

That means Pritchard will probably get 10-15 MPG. He's going to need to be THAT bulldog defender that can hit threes like he was for portions of the end of last year. If he can do that, he will carve out a nice role for himself here for many years......the Eddie House role, kinda.

I don't know what you are thinking when you say "a bunch" but I hope Tatum plays primarily as a wing.  With 2 of our top 4 bigs now injured, there will have to be more of the 1 big line up and that isn't the end of the world depending on the team we are playing, but it puts us at a disadvantage to have to play our best player out of position.

I think you only see this (Tatum playing more PF and Pritchard playing more) if we can't find a big who is as good as Pritchard.  To me, you are better off playing with a big who has similar relative talent as Prichard and keeping Tatum at wing (where we don't have much depth either) over playing Pritchard and forcing Tatum out of position, which probably forces Brogdon to play more wing and so on.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 10:15:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Team is disappearing right before our eyes , glade to have him .  :)

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I don't know what you are thinking when you say "a bunch" but I hope Tatum plays primarily as a wing.  With 2 of our top 4 bigs now injured, there will have to be more of the 1 big line up and that isn't the end of the world depending on the team we are playing, but it puts us at a disadvantage to have to play our best player out of position.

I think you only see this (Tatum playing more PF and Pritchard playing more) if we can't find a big who is as good as Pritchard.  To me, you are better off playing with a big who has similar relative talent as Prichard and keeping Tatum at wing (where we don't have much depth either) over playing Pritchard and forcing Tatum out of position, which probably forces Brogdon to play more wing and so on.
If the roster doesn't change I would guess Tatum plays 850+ minutes at "PF", roughly 1/3 of his minutes, similar to last year.

Our opening day roster is pretty similar to how we started last year except:

Shroeder - Brogdon
Richardson - White
Freedom - Kornet
Hermongomez/Parker - Vonleh
Langford/Neismith/Pritchard - Hauser/Pritchard
Fernando - Šamanić

Al and Rob missed 20 man games in the first 50 last year, I don't see that improving.
Unless someone flashes, I think we go 1 big more often this year.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

If the roster doesn't change I would guess Tatum plays 850+ minutes at "PF", roughly 1/3 of his minutes, similar to last year.

Shroeder - Brogdon
Richardson - White
Freedom - Kornet
Fernando - Šamanić

Al and Rob missed 20 man games in the first 50 last year, I don't see that improving.

Not sure where you are getting the "similar to last season".  When I sort using NBA.com stats for 5-man line ups, I see far less.  There was only 1 line up in the top 10 that included Tatum as a PF and that was only 11 games and 66 minutes.  In the top 20 line ups, there were only 2 or 3 where Tatum was the second "big" and just a handful of minutes.  If you are looking 82Games data, they have Tatum as a PF and GWill as the SF when they are on the court together and I feel that is not correct.

When I sort the top 20 line ups from 82Games, I get only 12% of the time that Tatum plays with only one true big (Horford, RWill, GWill, Theis, etc).

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 12:59:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
With a new head coach, there could be changes in how the bench is handled. Ime wasn't big on playing development guys. Maybe that changes?

As for Pritchard as long as he can make 3's he has value - keeping in mind that opposing teams will continue to attack him when they have the ball. He's got to knock down enough 3's to offset that.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 01:52:30 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Shroeder - Brogdon
Richardson - White
Freedom - Kornet
Fernando - Šamanić

Not sure where you are getting the "similar to last season".  When I sort using NBA.com stats for 5-man line ups, I see far less.  There was only 1 line up in the top 10 that included Tatum as a PF and that was only 11 games and 66 minutes.  In the top 20 line ups, there were only 2 or 3 where Tatum was the second "big" and just a handful of minutes.  If you are looking 82Games data, they have Tatum as a PF and GWill as the SF when they are on the court together and I feel that is not correct.

When I sort the top 20 line ups from 82Games, I get only 12% of the time that Tatum plays with only one true big (Horford, RWill, GWill, Theis, etc).
You need to look deeper. The lineups you mention cover 1100ish of Tatum's 2700ish minutes. These most played (preferred) lineups are what we would hope for. The rest of his minutes are spread around less desirable lineups.

There were only 11, 5 mans that played over 50 minutes.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I enjoy having Payton on the team. He’s an elite shooter, who is an overqualified 3rd string PG.

That said, we have a guard rotation of Marcus, Jaylen, Malcolm, and Derrick signed until the end of the 2024 season; with minutes being scarce and this team at the status it is, Payton is the odd man out.

There’s an article on that website in the OP that suggests trading him and Yam for Jarred Vanderbilt. That is the type of move that would be great for this team in the short and long term.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 02:48:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I enjoy having Payton on the team. He’s an elite shooter, who is an overqualified 3rd string PG.

That said, we have a guard rotation of Marcus, Jaylen, Malcolm, and Derrick signed until the end of the 2024 season; with minutes being scarce and this team at the status it is, Payton is the odd man out.

There’s an article on that website in the OP that suggests trading him and Yam for Jarred Vanderbilt. That is the type of move that would be great for this team in the short and long term.
I don’t know anything about Vanderbilt, but if I were Brad I’d be shopping PP for big man help for sure. And this comes from a guy who’s son goes to U of Oregon so I’ve adopted them as my team lately.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 03:55:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I don’t know anything about Vanderbilt, but if I were Brad I’d be shopping PP for big man help for sure. And this comes from a guy who’s son goes to U of Oregon so I’ve adopted them as my team lately.

I believe that Vanderbilt fits into one of our TPEs but PP can't be included. I bet you could easily get him for a future protected first. I'd take him for a future 2nd rounder.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I believe that Vanderbilt fits into one of our TPEs but PP can't be included. I bet you could easily get him for a future protected first. I'd take him for a future 2nd rounder.

Are you saying PP can’t be included because you don’t want to trade him or because you think the rules prevent it?  If it’s the latter, don’t worry, the rules don’t prevent it.