Author Topic: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 9/14/20  (Read 53577 times)

Re: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 9/14/20
« Reply #1200 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
So after game 1..... Tatum is a scrub, Kemba is a scrub, Stevens is a bad coach and the Celtics will get swept. Totally not hot takes.  ;D

Certainly panic stations, like it is after each loss  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1201 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So after game 1..... Tatum is a scrub, Kemba is a scrub, Stevens is a bad coach and the Celtics will get swept. Totally not hot takes.  ;D

Tatum shot 0-7 in last 7 min and Kemba shot what 6-19? 

Celts kept losing large leads to the Raptors and now Heat today.   Just hanging on instead of closing the deal

they are not scrubs but "surgical"  is missing.  Tatum, Kemba and Brad.   Its just too loose

« Reply #1202 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Here's what they all said after the game:

Brad Stevens
On what he’s seeing late in games where the ball movement dries up

“I think obviously switching has something to do with it. We need to handle it better, there’s no question about it. Not only was there probably too much pounding of the ball, it was also not as much space the way they were guarding. We need to do a better job of that. We’ll go back and look at different ways we can attack better at the end of the game.”

On Kemba Walker’s tough night

“They’ve got great athletes out there. I think the guys, some of the guards, are able to keep in front with their length. Then Bam was switching a ton of pick-and-rolls all day. He is a tremendous defender. We’re going to have to figure out, again, better ways to attack, especially late. I thought we really moved it at times, then we did get stagnant.”

On blowing a 14 point lead

“The fouls killed us. Then the transition. Our transition defense, in addition to playing slower and pounding the ball more, we just got to be a lot better in all those areas. These games go back and forth like this. We were down six, then took that lead. We got to play better, though. Transition defense really stands out. That Herro three with a minute left in regulation was a killer. There were multiple other plays that led up to that that I thought let them back in.”

On whether hunting mismatches was why the offense stagnated

“I’ll look at it and get back to you.”

On Tatum taking a 3-pointer to end regulation and getting blocked on a dunk in OT

“I trust that he’ll make the right decision. He’s a hell of a player. When he has the ball, I feel good about it.”

Kemba Walker
On his recent poor play

“I’m just playing terrible to be honest. Not much I can say but I have to be better. I have to do better for this team on both ends of the floor, have to make better decisions, just have to make shots overall.”

On isolating too much

“Yeah I agree, we definitely pounded the ball a lot, but at the end of the game that’s going to happen sometimes. Just have to try to make great decisions, try to find a way to put the ball in the basket.”

On lessons learned from this game

“As far as us, we just have to clean some things up. We’ll get to the film. Transition was key. They were great in transition. That’s what they do. They’re a really great time in transition so we have to do better on that.”

On whether closing out games will be a focus

“I’m sure of that. We’ve gotta wait and see, but yeah, we’ve gotta be better. We’ve gotta find a way to close these games out down the stretch.”

On similarities between Miami and Toronto

“Yeah. These guys are well-coached and very solid on defense. We just have to continue to make plays for each other, try to make the best decisions possible out there on the court. Like I said, we’ll get to the film and we’ll just learn from our mistakes and come back better.”

Marcus Smart
On Game 1

“It was exactly how we expected it. It was a great game, two great teams who play really hard. They got the plays that they needed that mattered. They did their job and it’s up to us to come back in Game 2 and do ours.”

On what happened late in regulation and overtime

“It was exactly that. We got stagnant. We rested and we got complacent, and against a team like this, you can’t get complacent. Up 14, up 20, up 30, they’re really good at playing from behind. Like I said, when it counted they made the plays down the stretch. It was a great play by Bam, a [dang] good play by Bam. But like I said, it happens. They did their job and it’s time for us to do ours in Game 2.”

On how Miami got so many good looks late

“A lot of miscommunication on our part and a lot of guys hit some tough shots. We believe if we clean a couple things up we can fix those things and it’ll be a different outcome. You’ve got to tip your hat to those guys. They executed very well down the stretch and we didn’t, especially on the defensive end, like I said. We had miscommunication on a lot of guys' part. And in transition we allowed them to do what they do best, and that’s get out and run.”

On falling into stretches of complacency

“It’s something that happens, but it'; something that we can fix and that’s the good thing about it. We can come in tomorrow, see what we gotta do. Watch some film, see what we gotta tweak and fix and come back on Thursday and hopefully get a Game 2 win.”

On whether the habit of getting complacent can be fixed

“It’s definitely something that can be fixed. It’s part of the game. You’re not going to be perfect every night, you’re going to make mistakes. You just try to learn from your mistakes on both ends.”

On bad communication and reaching causing fourth quarter fouls

“It’s a bit of both. We gotta put our hands up and make them go through us. We bailed them out, especially late on a couple of those shots they were taking to get to them to the line and silly fouls. You gotta guard your yard. They put a lot of guys in isolation and picked on a lot of guys and you gotta guard your yard, plain and simple.”

On finding ways to get Jaylen Brown more involved

“Continue to move it. We’re great, but to beat a team like this, it’s going to take everybody. When we allow those guys to set their defense and just look at the ball and stare when we’re not moving, it’s tough. It’s tough. They can beat anybody. So for us, those isos are good. But we have to limit those isos as much as we can and just really get them moving. Just play and keep them on their heels.”

Jayson Tatum
On his regulation-ending 3-pointer and the dunk that was blocked in overtime

“I mean, I like both shots that I got. I just missed one. They made a great play at the rim on the second one. I don’t know. Just take whatever the defense gives me, to be honest.”

On losing a 14 point, fourth quarter lead

“Yeah, we got in foul trouble early in the fourth. That hurt. Then we just have to be more consistent, continue to do what got us the lead. I think we shied away from that a little bit, allowed them to get back in the game.”

On the last possession in overtime

“I mean, you just said it. He made a great play. He made a good play. Can’t do nothing about it.”

On seeing his son today

“It’s great. Two and a half months or whatever without seeing our families. It’s refreshing to finally get to see some familiar faces, spend some quality time with him.”

On the challenge posed by the Heat

“We are going to watch film. There are a lot of things to talk about, to look at, to make adjustments for Game 2. That’s what the Playoffs is: making adjustments, seeing what you did well, seeing what you can do better, move on.”

On whether they learned more about Miami

“They’re a good team. They are here for a good reason. There are four teams left. Well-coached. Some great players. I mean, it’s not like I’m surprised. They’re a good team.”

On the disappointment of losing Game 1

“I guess it’s disappointment. You never want to lose a game. But it’s not the end of the world. Best-of-seven. Just get ready for Game 2. It is what it is.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/15/sports/celtics-lose-game-1-heat/

« Reply #1203 on: September 16, 2020, 12:39:05 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
just watched....REFS gave the game to Miami in the 4th....that BS call, where Crowder flopped started it....they were in the penalty with like 9 minutes to go....what the F?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1204 on: September 16, 2020, 12:41:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Brad Stevens

“I think obviously switching has something to do with it. We need to handle it better, there’s no question about it. Not only was there probably too much pounding of the ball, it was also not as much space the way they were guarding. We need to do a better job of that. We’ll go back and look at different ways we can attack better at the end of the game.”

“They’ve got great athletes out there. I think the guys, some of the guards, are able to keep in front with their length. Then Bam was switching a ton of pick-and-rolls all day. He is a tremendous defender. We’re going to have to figure out, again, better ways to attack, especially late. I thought we really moved it at times, then we did get stagnant.”

“The fouls killed us. Then the transition. Our transition defense, in addition to playing slower and pounding the ball more, we just got to be a lot better in all those areas. These games go back and forth like this. We were down six, then took that lead. We got to play better, though. Transition defense really stands out. That Herro three with a minute left in regulation was a killer. There were multiple other plays that led up to that that I thought let them back in.”

On Tatum taking a 3-pointer to end regulation and getting blocked on a dunk in OT

“I trust that he’ll make the right decision. He’s a hell of a player. When he has the ball, I feel good about it.”

Kemba Walker
On his recent poor play

“I’m just playing terrible to be honest. Not much I can say but I have to be better. I have to do better for this team on both ends of the floor, have to make better decisions, just have to make shots overall.”

On isolating too much

“Yeah I agree, we definitely pounded the ball a lot, but at the end of the game that’s going to happen sometimes. Just have to try to make great decisions, try to find a way to put the ball in the basket.”

“As far as us, we just have to clean some things up. We’ll get to the film. Transition was key. They were great in transition. That’s what they do. They’re a really great time in transition so we have to do better on that.”

“I’m sure of that. We’ve gotta wait and see, but yeah, we’ve gotta be better. We’ve gotta find a way to close these games out down the stretch.”

“Yeah. These guys are well-coached and very solid on defense. We just have to continue to make plays for each other, try to make the best decisions possible out there on the court. Like I said, we’ll get to the film and we’ll just learn from our mistakes and come back better.”

Marcus Smart
On Game 1

“It was exactly how we expected it. It was a great game, two great teams who play really hard. They got the plays that they needed that mattered. They did their job and it’s up to us to come back in Game 2 and do ours.”

“It was exactly that. We got stagnant. We rested and we got complacent, and against a team like this, you can’t get complacent. Up 14, up 20, up 30, they’re really good at playing from behind. Like I said, when it counted they made the plays down the stretch. It was a great play by Bam, a [dang] good play by Bam. But like I said, it happens. They did their job and it’s time for us to do ours in Game 2.”

“A lot of miscommunication on our part and a lot of guys hit some tough shots. We believe if we clean a couple things up we can fix those things and it’ll be a different outcome. You’ve got to tip your hat to those guys. They executed very well down the stretch and we didn’t, especially on the defensive end, like I said. We had miscommunication on a lot of guys' part. And in transition we allowed them to do what they do best, and that’s get out and run.”

“It’s something that happens, but it'; something that we can fix and that’s the good thing about it. We can come in tomorrow, see what we gotta do. Watch some film, see what we gotta tweak and fix and come back on Thursday and hopefully get a Game 2 win.”

“It’s definitely something that can be fixed. It’s part of the game. You’re not going to be perfect every night, you’re going to make mistakes. You just try to learn from your mistakes on both ends.”

“It’s a bit of both. We gotta put our hands up and make them go through us. We bailed them out, especially late on a couple of those shots they were taking to get to them to the line and silly fouls. You gotta guard your yard. They put a lot of guys in isolation and picked on a lot of guys and you gotta guard your yard, plain and simple.”

“Continue to move it. We’re great, but to beat a team like this, it’s going to take everybody. When we allow those guys to set their defense and just look at the ball and stare when we’re not moving, it’s tough. It’s tough. They can beat anybody. So for us, those isos are good. But we have to limit those isos as much as we can and just really get them moving. Just play and keep them on their heels.”

Jayson Tatum

“I mean, I like both shots that I got. I just missed one. They made a great play at the rim on the second one. I don’t know. Just take whatever the defense gives me, to be honest.”

“Yeah, we got in foul trouble early in the fourth. That hurt. Then we just have to be more consistent, continue to do what got us the lead. I think we shied away from that a little bit, allowed them to get back in the game.”

“I mean, you just said it. He made a great play. He made a good play. Can’t do nothing about it.”

On seeing his son today

“It’s great. Two and a half months or whatever without seeing our families. It’s refreshing to finally get to see some familiar faces, spend some quality time with him.”

“We are going to watch film. There are a lot of things to talk about, to look at, to make adjustments for Game 2. That’s what the Playoffs is: making adjustments, seeing what you did well, seeing what you can do better, move on.”

“They’re a good team. They are here for a good reason. There are four teams left. Well-coached. Some great players. I mean, it’s not like I’m surprised. They’re a good team.”

“I guess it’s disappointment. You never want to lose a game. But it’s not the end of the world. Best-of-seven. Just get ready for Game 2. It is what it is.”

I love the no nonsense heart of the matter questions by the Celtics media

The good thing, the Celts are not getting killed in any of these playoff games.  Its always close. Usually the Celts having some kind of double digit lead. But unable to sustain it these days. 

Just guys reverting to Iso ball. Sucking the energy out of the team.  The celts need to do a way better job to take each possession very seriously. And get good shots. Make the opponents run around/wear out at least out of an offensive possession

« Reply #1205 on: September 16, 2020, 12:43:19 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

The good thing, the Celts are not getting killed in any of these playoff games.  Its always close. Usually the Celts having some kind of double digit lead. But unable to sustain it these days. 

Just guys reverting to Iso ball. Sucking the energy out of the team.  The celts need to do a way better job to take each possession very seriously. And get good shots. Make the opponents run around/wear out at least out of an offensive possession

I loved the "I'll look at it and get back to you"...I was listening to that in real time when John Karalis asked the question about too much hunting for mismatches and Brad's eyes could have killed him, which means the answer was "yes"  :angel:

« Reply #1206 on: September 16, 2020, 12:43:40 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Brad should have challenged that foul on Williams when Crowder flopped his way to FTs....Game would have never been in OT
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1207 on: September 16, 2020, 12:46:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Brad Stevens

Kemba Walker
On his recent poor play

On isolating too much

Marcus Smart
On Game 1

Jayson Tatum

On seeing his son today

TP for the work collecting and presenting that info!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1208 on: September 16, 2020, 12:46:27 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Tatum shot 0-7 in last 7 min and Kemba shot what 6-19? 

Celts kept losing large leads to the Raptors and now Heat today.   Just hanging on instead of closing the deal

they are not scrubs but "surgical"  is missing.  Tatum, Kemba and Brad.   Its just too loose

Obviously they need work after this loss but they're in the ECF for a reason.

« Reply #1209 on: September 16, 2020, 01:40:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I loved the "I'll look at it and get back to you"...I was listening to that in real time when John Karalis asked the question about too much hunting for mismatches and Brad's eyes could have killed him, which means the answer was "yes"  :angel:

Good for John

Brad Needs to feel a little heat for todays loss

« Reply #1210 on: September 16, 2020, 01:43:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/1306043307387162624?s=21
You don’t say Brad. Iso? Nahhh.

It's like he doesn't realize it's his job to try and stop that from happening  ::)

Hate to say it but Stevens may not have what it takes for the big time. Did you hear him wired during that timeout..what was that? No wonder the team cannot close games. They need a coach with some more fire. He does not ride his team, he does not ride the refs.  You need those if you are to win in the NBA.

« Reply #1211 on: September 16, 2020, 01:48:32 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Tie game, 22 seconds, 1 timeout and we run a hot garbage, run the clock down, iso, 25 ft 3 pointer????

If the players (Tatum in this case) cant realize this is a bad shot then the coach needs to step in.  Run a play, move the defense, put your team in a position to win and get a better shot!!!

terrible possession, terrible shot for an ECF game. You take that ball to the hole all the time, perhaps teh coach and the team were still thinking about scoring early and handing Heat the ball for another TOR-like miracle win.

« Reply #1212 on: September 16, 2020, 02:04:04 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

@MagicJohnson
Bam Adebayo’s block on Jayson Tatum’s dunk attempt was the best defensive play I’ve seen ever in the playoffs!!!!

What a troll

Marcus Smart block on Powel was the best

Did he really say that? What about LeBron on Iggy?

« Reply #1213 on: September 16, 2020, 02:37:50 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Brown was not involved in this game ...lets hope it was not a deliberate move because of his injury?

« Reply #1214 on: September 16, 2020, 03:57:42 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Tough one to swallow but kudos to the Heat - most notably Herro for that incredible 3 late, and Butler who was kind of invisible during the game but made two clutch shots at the end. To Bam as well for his block.

Frustrating to see Tatum play the hero and come short on multiple possessions - his stepback 3 was not a good shot (I know we would see it differently if he made it but still). Kind of fear this the game we shouldn't lose considering how hot Marcus was.