Author Topic: I think it’s time basketball goes global  (Read 6468 times)

I think it’s time basketball goes global
« on: March 17, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline Shaktiman

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hello everyone,,
NBA getting more boring is actually harmful to the sport, because what other leagues are people really watching or have even heard of?

Football has EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, and every other country also has its own local league with sustantial support. The world over watch World Cup, Euro, Copa America, Champions League.

Basketball has NBA. That's it. I'm sorry but besides hardcore fans no one's watching or has even heard of Euroleague. NBA is in such a dominant position in the sport that anything happening to it will affect the sport as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:44:00 AM by Roy H. »

Re: I think it’s time basketball goes global
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:23 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
No one in the states watches Euroleague

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
basketball is one of the more global sports around with avid fans throughout europe and in china.

as noted above, it is simply in the US that people dont watch these other leagues.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So are you saying you think that the NBA's players should be spread out around the world? That would essentially kill the NBA. In the US, the world's best talent is assembled in the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL.

MLS soccer would likely be much more attractive to US fans if all of the best players in the world played in that league. We are just extremely fickle (and privileged) here. I can't imagine it would go over well if the NBA became totally watered down. The players wouldn't go for it either - there is just way too much money to be made.

Perhaps there could be expansion to Europe with London and Paris teams, but scheduling would be a nightmare with the distance so great.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 10:40:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:07:31 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Most soccer leagues also have no salary cap, so the comparison is completely useless.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You also can't underestimate how important it is that all of the European countries are small and closely grouped together.  I mean all of Europe is basically the same size as the United States, but that includes all of Eastern Europe which really don't have the same sort of sharing as the Western European countries (the European Union is 1.67 million square miles - the contiguous 48 states are over 3.1 million square miles or nearly twice as large).  I mean Texas alone is basically the size of Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, and Switzerland put together.  Size absolutely matters when you are looking at things like this. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
If the OP thinks that the NBA is a boring (TBH the regular is a bit) then nobody stops him or anyone else to watch other leagues. The euroleague obviously doesn't have the talent pool NBA has but you d be surprised . The league in Spain also pretty good

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I signed up for ESPN+ for the UFC, but it looks like they offer some international basketball coverage. If so, I might start to watch more.

Anyone have experience with the best ways to follow European leagues? News sources, how to watch games, follow stats and standings. Where to get general info about how the leagues work?

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I signed up for ESPN+ for the UFC, but it looks like they offer some international basketball coverage. If so, I might start to watch more.

Anyone have experience with the best ways to follow European leagues? News sources, how to watch games, follow stats and standings. Where to get general info about how the leagues work?

As i said euroleague is very interesting https://www.euroleague.net/
The format changes often. Today it is a 16 teams league playing each other one game at home and one away. The top 8 got to playoffs .. Actually one round of playoffs and the the 4 teams play in the final4 like in NCAA

As far as getting info goes it is not very easy. Basketball is popular but hundreds of miles behind football/soccer and in many cases not even the second most popular sport. So there is not coverage like the one you are used to with the NBA where huge media groups employ 10s of journalists and commentators to cover every aspect of the league.

But it is a very interesting league.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I mentioned geography earlier but revenue is also a critical distinction. 

Here are the leagues with the most revenue around the world (I assume Wikipedia is correct).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

There just isn't a revenue comparison to the NBA for any of the other leagues in the world.  Making it far different than soccer which are much more closely aligned for the major European leagues (though the Premier League has a good lead on the rest of the leagues).  I mean the revenue per NBA team is nearly double what the entire Bundasliga brings in (and that is the highest revenue outside of the NBA). 

The global soccer structure just won't work for basketball as the money, geography, etc. are just prohibitive. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
So are you saying you think that the NBA's players should be spread out around the world? That would essentially kill the NBA. In the US, the world's best talent is assembled in the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL.

MLS soccer would likely be much more attractive to US fans if all of the best players in the world played in that league. We are just extremely fickle (and privileged) here. I can't imagine it would go over well if the NBA became totally watered down. The players wouldn't go for it either - there is just way too much money to be made.

Perhaps there could be expansion to Europe with London and Paris teams, but scheduling would be a nightmare with the distance so great.
I’m convinced MLS is more popular than NHL and it’s about to overcome MLB in the next few years... millennials and immigrants preferences are changing the complexity of fans support to leaves in the USA.. the soccer team where I live draws 30,000 people every game and it was extremely popular when they played in the lower divisions too

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 12:33:50 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It is the 2037-38 season.

We have an expanding (not team, but a) division. European division in the Eastern conference.
With 36 teams in total, NBA is fun, again!
Last 11 years were boring. Celtics won them all straight, surpassing even Bills records.
Never reaching the 6th game of any series.

European division:

Berlin Howitzers - Black, white and grey combo. They shoot a loooot of 3s. 99% of all fga. They are still working on it to reach 100%. They are playing a modern game.

Real Madrid - White jerseys. You can't imagine them passing on a chance like this, to become an NBA team. They play their European team ball. And, they have already signed the best of what European talent can offer.

Roman Legionaries - Their azure apparel has a nice silvery highlighted transitions, but the jersey is generally too tight. They are always untying other players spaghetti's at the FT line. Also complain a lot to the referees, both verbally, and even more pronounced, by gestures.

Istanbul Minarets - Gold primary, red secondary. The thing shines so much that it probably glows in the dark. The long guys. Their plan is to make 50 trades per year, sell/buy picks, and get length. They will always take your salary dumps for a good price. Your John Wall is broken? For you my friend, no problem, best price. Fener and Bešiktaš will continue to battle regardless.

Paris Musketeers - Paris blue color, white secondary. They will always approve lockouts.

London Brexits - They have filed documents for departure after being behind the whole idea since way back in the 2020ies. However they still haven't decided how and when they will leave. But surprisingly, the Athens got the approval from Jessica Silver-Stern to enter the competition after finally paying the necessary entrance fees. Some 2 years too late. It is apparently never too late so here come the;

Athens Spartans - Red and redder. They will go for work ethic and selflessness. In a once in a century homecoming story, last years leagues best 3pt shooter Giannis Antetokounmpo, will lead Spartans to their wins.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:43:04 PM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
What an odd bump.

I guess that topic I started last week that nobody responded to still has hope of taking off!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class