Author Topic: 2018 Red Sox Thread  (Read 48433 times)

Re: 2018 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The start they have had this year defies logic. It takes me way back to a certain year in the 70's that I will not mention due to childhood trauma from the collapse they did after having a huge lead in the division. I think we might have found a coach that will help us win a few more Series in the coming years. He could be a unicorn- time will tell.

What is not to love about our pitching and hitting as well. We appear to be stacked so far.

Not too much to love this past week ...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:49:34 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:37 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
WHOA! Red Sox DFA'd Hanley. Going to miss him honestly.

Ballsy business move by Dombrowski. I'll be upset though if even after that, they trade away Swihart (who I guess they elected to keep). Meanwhile, Pedey's back! Huge defensive improvement at 2B and hopefully hits well too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
WHOA! Red Sox DFA'd Hanley. Going to miss him honestly.

Ballsy business move by Dombrowski. I'll be upset though if even after that, they trade away Swihart (who I guess they elected to keep). Meanwhile, Pedey's back! Huge defensive improvement at 2B and hopefully hits well too.
Yeah, that was one heck of a corresponding move. I guess that $22 million vesting option did come back to bite them after all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Best record in the entire league as of May 31! (39-17)  ;D

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o
enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:14 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

They were in a bit of funk for a few weeks, playing "only" .500 ball, but they've taken flight again, and they look really good. For the last week or so Bradley, Nunez, and Leon have been hitting too, which makes their offense virtually unstoppable.

JD has indeed been the perfect addition to this team, just what they needed, and Betts has been awesome!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.

The Brewers look really good this year. I think they are a playoff contender. The NL overall is very intriguing this year. Not like the AL where there's 3 contenders (NYY, HOU, BOS), 2 dark-horse contenders that *could* have a chance (SEA, LAA), but then the bottom three in the AL East and AL West aren't great, and the AL Central as a whole is extremely mediocre.

They were in a bit of funk for a few weeks, playing "only" .500 ball, but they've taken flight again, and they look really good. For the last week or so Bradley, Nunez, and Leon have been hitting too, which makes their offense virtually unstoppable.

JD has indeed been the perfect addition to this team, just what they needed, and Betts has been awesome!

Yep, and the bullpen has been exceptional lately too! Kelly and Barnes have really stepped up since mid-April and Thornburg could come back sometime in June (and hopefully a rental reliever via trade sometime in July to bolster the pen even more).

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The Brewers look really good this year. I think they are a playoff contender. The NL overall is very intriguing this year. Not like the AL where there's 3 contenders (NYY, HOU, BOS), 2 dark-horse contenders that *could* have a chance (SEA, LAA), but then the bottom three in the AL East and AL West aren't great, and the AL Central as a whole is extremely mediocre.

Yep, and the bullpen has been exceptional lately too! Kelly and Barnes have really stepped up since mid-April and Thornburg could come back sometime in June (and hopefully a rental reliever via trade sometime in July to bolster the pen even more).
TP for being one of the few people who didn't comment  "why the hell are you a Brewer fan" when I've discussed baseball. 

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

TP for being one of the few people who didn't comment  "why the hell are you a Brewer fan" when I've discussed baseball.

LOL actually I'm friends with a few Brewers fans myself who go to the same University as me. Anyways, now that you mention it (lol), are you a Brewers fan because you have ties there (like being from there or having family there) or you just chose that team to root for at an early age? Just curious  ;)

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Miller Park is pretty awesome.  Went up there a couple of years ago for a game.  Roof was open too. Love the tailgating aspect of it (growing up going to Fenway where its non-existent).  Nothing much better than enjoying a Cheddarwurst, a beer, and some pre-game cornhole in the parking lot.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

LOL actually I'm friends with a few Brewers fans myself who go to the same University as me. Anyways, now that you mention it (lol), are you a Brewers fan because you have ties there (like being from there or having family there) or you just chose that team to root for at an early age? Just curious  ;)
i was just starting to take in interest in baseball as a young kid and had been a fan of Hank Aaron as I was learning about the game.  The first year he played for the Brewers was the year I learned enough about the game to become a team fan  -- so the Brewers it was. 

have no ties to the area but did drive up there in the mid-90's from a conference I was at in Chicago to get pictures of the old stadium.  Parked on the side of a highway and took pictures standing on the retaining wall.  Loved it.  The cop in the patrol car that stopped didn't like it so much. ;) 

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

i was just starting to take in interest in baseball as a young kid and had been a fan of Hank Aaron as I was learning about the game.  The first year he played for the Brewers was the year I learned enough about the game to become a team fan  -- so the Brewers it was. 

have no ties to the area but did drive up there in the mid-90's from a conference I was at in Chicago to get pictures of the old stadium.  Parked on the side of a highway and took pictures standing on the retaining wall.  Loved it.  The cop in the patrol car that stopped didn't like it so much. ;)

LOL nice!  ;D

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Miller Park is pretty awesome.  Went up there a couple of years ago for a game.  Roof was open too. Love the tailgating aspect of it (growing up going to Fenway where its non-existent).  Nothing much better than enjoying a Cheddarwurst, a beer, and some pre-game cornhole in the parking lot.
This is just begging for an explanation because where I'm from that's a recipe for an indecent exposure arrest at a minimum   :o

used to be a diehard baseball fan before they cancelled the world series in 94.  haven't been to a game since.  One day I'll have to get out there for a game - something on my bucket list.  probably one of the few people who have going to Milwaukee as a bucket list item

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is just begging for an explanation because where I'm from that's a recipe for an indecent exposure arrest at a minimum   :o

used to be a diehard baseball fan before they cancelled the world series in 94.  haven't been to a game since.  One day I'll have to get out there for a game - something on my bucket list.  probably one of the few people who have going to Milwaukee as a bucket list item

Sorry, "Bags" as its called in some parts of the country.    Cornhole = Bags.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sorry, "Bags" as its called in some parts of the country.    Cornhole = Bags.
I feel like an idiot -- no idea what 'bags' is either.