Poll

What team is best set up for the 2010 Free agency class?

The Nets - Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Courtney Lee. Projected $28 million in cap space.
9 (36%)
The Knicks - Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Jordan Hill. Projected $29 million in cap space.
1 (4%)
The Cavs - Maurice Williams, Anderson Varejao, Delonte West Projected $23 million in cap space
2 (8%)
The Heat - Michael Beasley, James Jones, Daequan Cook Projected $44 million in cap space
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: The team in 2010  (Read 7357 times)

Re: The team in 2010
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The thing I worry about with them is signing enough competent role players.

With their finical hands tied they won't really be able to until the follow season. But then they'll have Max, Max and Beasily to work off of.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Gotta go with the Cavs.
I see LeBron staying with the Cavs and the Cavs being able to lure someone good with the $20+M.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Two words: SOUTH BEACH.

Clearly Miami... do not underestimate how much allure this has to NBA players.  Especially when they have the potential to team up with DWade.

I was looking for this line of reasoning... The most cap space coupled with the single most attractive city to play in league-wide to mean spells out great things for Miami, provided of course they don't screw it up.

Well, I don't see Riley screwing it up.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Just wait; Shaq will start whining for an extension before the All Star break.  If the team gets off to a good start, he'll use that leverage to get himself paid for another two years.  People conveniently forget about Shaq's role in the Kobe/Shaq split, how much complaining he was doing about not getting an extension and how he pretty much forced his way out of town.  If he has a decent start to the season, the team's in first place, and they look like they could win it all - he'll use that leverage to squeeze another $15M or $20M from ownership for two years.

Yeah, I don't see it happening at this stage of his career. I'm sure Ferry let him know that there would be no talk of extension until after his contract expires and they know the fate of Lebron.

We'll have to see.  I don't think you can discount this as a potential risk to team harmony; as much as I dislike Cleveland, they did seem to be a really close-knit team last year, and Shaq has had a history of putting his own personal interests first at times.  Shaq's "good guy just trying to do right by his team" reputation seems more driven by his loquacious quotations than by his actions.  

Regardless, Cleveland ex-LeBron is in for a world of hurt.  

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 11:11:03 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Just wait; Shaq will start whining for an extension before the All Star break.  If the team gets off to a good start, he'll use that leverage to get himself paid for another two years.  People conveniently forget about Shaq's role in the Kobe/Shaq split, how much complaining he was doing about not getting an extension and how he pretty much forced his way out of town.  If he has a decent start to the season, the team's in first place, and they look like they could win it all - he'll use that leverage to squeeze another $15M or $20M from ownership for two years.

Yeah, I don't see it happening at this stage of his career. I'm sure Ferry let him know that there would be no talk of extension until after his contract expires and they know the fate of Lebron.

We'll have to see.  I don't think you can discount this as a potential risk to team harmony; as much as I dislike Cleveland, they did seem to be a really close-knit team last year, and Shaq has had a history of putting his own personal interests first at times.  Shaq's "good guy just trying to do right by his team" reputation seems more driven by his loquacious quotations than by his actions.  

Regardless, Cleveland ex-LeBron is in for a world of hurt.  

Ferry is actually in position to waive Shaq without long term consequences. That could however put a major hamper on their 2010 campaign.

Yes the Cav's will cease to exist if Lebron leaves.

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

Clearly Miami... do not underestimate how much allure this has to NBA players.  Especially when they have the potential to team up with DWade.

I was looking for this line of reasoning... The most cap space coupled with the single most attractive city to play in league-wide to mean spells out great things for Miami, provided of course they don't screw it up.

Remember, too, a point in Miami's favor is the lack of a state income tax.  That can easily net out to a 5% - 10% difference in the economic value of the contract.  Makes it more likely that Wade sticks around (in addition to Miami being able to offer more gross dollars), and makes it more likely they'll be able to bring aboard a true #2 guy for him to play alongside.  

How scary would a Wade/Beasley/Bosh trio look?  You'd still need a center and maybe a PG, but that's about as good a three-man trio as it gets.

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm not a huge Bosh fan, I'd rather see Wade coupled with Lebron.  However, I understand Lebron and Wade are kinda similiar so Bosh brings some different attributes to the table. 

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Remember, too, a point in Miami's favor is the lack of a state income tax.  That can easily net out to a 5% - 10% difference in the economic value of the contract.  Makes it more likely that Wade sticks around (in addition to Miami being able to offer more gross dollars), and makes it more likely they'll be able to bring aboard a true #2 guy for him to play alongside.  

How scary would a Wade/Beasley/Bosh trio look?  You'd still need a center and maybe a PG, but that's about as good a three-man trio as it gets.

Yeah, that's another great point. TP. Riley talked about that when trying to bring Odom back...

However, that 3 some isn't so scary to me. Trade Beasley for a legit 3,5 or 1? now I'm scared. Neither Beasley nor Bosh can play the 5 or 3.

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67

Yeah, that's another great point. TP. Riley talked about that when trying to bring Odom back...

However, that 3 some isn't so scary to me. Trade Beasley for a legit 3,5 or 1? now I'm scared. Neither Beasley nor Bosh can play the 5 or 3.
I agree, even before this whole rehab issue, I never saw the huge appeal with Beasley.  He's vastly undersized to play the same type of game he had in college, and I can't picture him playing a SF role.
As for Bosh, I have never been that impressed by him either.  He's good no doubt, but he's WikiPedia poster boy for "soft big man."

If LeBron teams up with Wade, forget it.  They're not similar in style of play at all.  Wade is all about scoring, and LeBron does it all.  They would be the next Jodran/Pippen combo.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Well, was really just using Bosh as a stand-in for one of the guys who will be in most demand next summer.  I think they're more likely to pursue Boozer (who ought to be a little cheaper).  Beasley, I'm not sure he CAN'T play SF in the league; he's probably expendable under a lot of scenarios, and I don't see them making a trade until he can show people he's got his head screwed on right. 

Wonder if they'd have the cash to re-sign Wade, give Boozer $10M/yr, and make an outsized offer to Rondo?  Wade'll be what, about $20M?  $10M - $12M for Boozer would leave $12- $14M to offer Rondo (assuming they can't get the $44M number any bigger).  Danny might match at that price; he might not. 

I can't see a Wade/LeBron combo, whether it would be complementary or not.  Can't see either of those guys willing to be take the Pippen role, not at this point in their careers; they're both alpha dogs who should be leading their own teams.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:37:23 AM by the_Bird »

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29
1 more TP Bird, I can only give you one every hr.

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Uh, thanks I guess.  One back at you!

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 06:57:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I'm surprised, only one person picked the Knicks? The team that plays in the Mecca of the universe. Walsh really needs to rid himself of Curry and Jefferies before the deadline to have that cap space for next summer.

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Would Lebron move to Miami to team up with Wade?

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Would Lebron move to Miami to team up with Wade?

I can't see Lebron leaving Cleveland for anything other than NY.