Author Topic: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?  (Read 26808 times)

Re: Has commenting dropped off because of this crappy new design?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I also haven't noticed any lagging on the front page or anywhere else and I am a Firefox user.

I also think the writers here on the front page are pretty good but I always liked it better when I could start reading the front page to see if the article was worth reading rather than going by a title and picture.

Also, I liked the Fanpost area and Fanshot area because they were very visible and often people could have particularly good Fanposts or particularly newsworthy Fanshots be promoted to a headliner which I don't really see much anymore.

Then again I don't look because for some reason I am still not allowed to participate there for some unknown reason

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Then again I don't look because for some reason I am still not allowed to participate there for some unknown reason

I'll look into that for you, nick.  Any suspension should have expired ages ago.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
It's free. Some of the front page content is unparalelled - for example Roy's Salary Cap articles, draft analysis, etc. Great fan perspectives. I feel if you are following the Celts here you might be a deep weeds guy, then the front page blog won't have as much value as the discussion (cause you already read the other cites about celts.) But one step down the forum lurker / more casual fan - the blog is a great jumping off point.

Are you guys using Chrome? I don't see a perf problem with Chrome on my iMac and broadband.

Same here, in reference to Chrome. I've never had a problem with the design if I've opened it in Google Chrome. It's always opened smoothly with it for me.

Chrome fixes all. It works perfectly on Chrome and I love the new format. It took some getting used to but I love it now. The only little hang up is sometimes the comments don't load on my iphone.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
we can't please everyone, so that's why it is a good thing there's a forums to give folks the option to "skip the front page" and engage in the community here

also, I've never claimed to be a great writer, but I think I do the blog thing pretty well - when I'm not being too lazy that is ;)
I understand that, but I don't think any of this is your fault. The front page has always been a great read, but the new format just doesn't do it for me -- it's painfully slow, I can never find anything, and it has all sort of stories I don't really care about (national headlines, etc.).

I just always feel my time is better used to drop by here and chat with people (there are always great discussions, Celtics,basketball, sports or otherwise).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
joining the thread late...but my sig says it all for me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I didn't read all the post but I agree with what I did.

I just bypass the front page altogether and I also had the live-chat bookmarked from seasons ago so I never had to look for the new placement. I can see all the daily links on an app on my phone "24-7 Boston Hoops". If not on the app I just visit other sites for up to date news. I notice that people put the news on the forums LATE, I suspect this is because of the front page layout... I see the same stories earlier in the day, for I a while I wonder but then realized no one visits the front page anymore LOL.

SBN messed up all the pages b/c I hate the layout for the Bucs page I visit. I can never find the link to the right quarter where people are chatting. It's all weird.

Oh well, guess it's here to stay...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
would be interested to see Jeff weigh in on this topic.

at this point, what else do you really want me to say?  I'm sorry?
not looking for apologies but your 2 cents on your opinion of the front page format.  if, as others have mentioned here, the format change was forced upon you, I wouldn't make the assumption that you're 100% behind it.  I'm more curious about what you think improved and what you think is worse about it.

this site is your baby and we all owe you a debt of gratitude for creating it so your opinion on this would be really interesting to say the least

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
would be interested to see Jeff weigh in on this topic.

at this point, what else do you really want me to say?  I'm sorry?
not looking for apologies but your 2 cents on your opinion of the front page format.  if, as others have mentioned here, the format change was forced upon you, I wouldn't make the assumption that you're 100% behind it.  I'm more curious about what you think improved and what you think is worse about it.

this site is your baby and we all owe you a debt of gratitude for creating it so your opinion on this would be really interesting to say the least
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
no real news/interviews/player access provided

Who is paying the salary for the reporters who are going to start getting these scoops / interviewers?

For a fan-run blog where authors and contributors don't get salaries, I'm pretty happy with the quality of the content we put out there.
I think one point about what he said is that the articles often add nothing. Not that there aren't some articles that are insightful. A lot though are just average guy talking at a bar stuff.

Not a big deal, but the latest forum topics should always be high up on the front page and the latest forum topics should be listed when reading blog posts.

I regret even talking about this. The real reason for a downturn in posts is probably related to team performance.

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I do hope Jeff and his colleagues know that most sane people here do not blame them for the redesign of the site.  It was a business decision that most likely needed to be made.  That's acceptable.  We don't pay to use this site, so everyone should take that into consideration.  This isn't Time Warner or some other company with horrible service.  This is a free site run by guys who probably have more Celtics' passion than bank income from this site. 

I do think this site has done a terrific job of building a community.  I've only been a member for a year or two, but I already recognize other posters and I check in every single day.  So, overall I'm happy with the site.  The guys that constantly complain are obviously happy too, as they continue to return time and again.

I just think that many members do make valid points, and it's nice to see Jeff and others on here reading these Forums and Posts (I'm assuming) and responding.

Thank you, Jeff, for taking my Forum comment about the Fan Posts seriously.  It will be nice to see those become more of an important section of the site.

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
for everyone who is experiencing painfully slow loading. try blocking some scripts. main page works great for me now. i use opera if wondering. i still miss the old design, so fresh, so clean, but the new shiny blog has improved since its first implementation.

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I do hope Jeff and his colleagues know that most sane people here do not blame them for the redesign of the site.  It was a business decision that most likely needed to be made.  That's acceptable.  We don't pay to use this site, so everyone should take that into consideration.  This isn't Time Warner or some other company with horrible service.  This is a free site run by guys who probably have more Celtics' passion than bank income from this site. 

I do think this site has done a terrific job of building a community.  I've only been a member for a year or two, but I already recognize other posters and I check in every single day.  So, overall I'm happy with the site.  The guys that constantly complain are obviously happy too, as they continue to return time and again.

I just think that many members do make valid points, and it's nice to see Jeff and others on here reading these Forums and Posts (I'm assuming) and responding.

Thank you, Jeff, for taking my Forum comment about the Fan Posts seriously.  It will be nice to see those become more of an important section of the site.

I think everyone here recognizes that it was a very poorly executed 'upgrade' that Jeff and crew are in no way personally responsible for.

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
For what its worth i want to add that before the design switch i would visit celticsblog multiple times a day. Now no matter what computer i use, the front page rarely loads. I visit maybe once every three weeks now. I wish the site was more user friendly. My sites now are celticshub, espnboston redsarmy and green street. It bums me out because i grew up with celticsblog. Hopeit changes soon. Go celts!

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For what its worth i want to add that before the design switch i would visit celticsblog multiple times a day. Now no matter what computer i use, the front page rarely loads. I visit maybe once every three weeks now. I wish the site was more user friendly. My sites now are celticshub, espnboston redsarmy and green street. It bums me out because i grew up with celticsblog. Hopeit changes soon. Go celts!

What browser are you using?   

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes