Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 187074 times)

Re: Hayward to opt in?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2020, 06:18:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Mark Murphy: Gordon Hayward has not decided on his $34.1 M option yet, and has until 5 p.m. tomorrow to exercise it. The Celtics have myriad options of their own to still consider. League source: “All I can say is that a lot of people want him.”

Interesting.  This conflicts with Keith Smith’s report, which reported the deadline as Thursday.

My guess is that Murohy is wrong here, but I guess we’ll see.

And, Keith Smith was wrong.  Apologies to the local legend Mark Murphy:

I apologize for confusion on this, but Gordon Hayward's player option deadline is tomorrow, 11/17 at 5:00 PM ET.

There was an IF clause in the language that seemed to trip many of us up.

The Celtics will know on Hayward before the NBA Draft on Wednesday.

Everybody wants to be first.  How about getting it right?  The “Twitter media” is basically fake news, lies, and unsubstantiated rumors at this point.
Does Kanter have the same deadline? Both could opt in and get traded.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Whether or not Hayward is "salty" I think it's safe to assume that if he does opt in and plays for the Celts this season, he's going to sign elsewhere after this season.  I think he and the team both understand that, which is why they've been exploring options for a trade.

I suspect Hayward would prefer to get traded before this season because he'd like to play for a team that will give him a larger offensive role before he hits free agency.

If he plays for the Celts again this season he could have another year where he averages 12-15 ppg with solid defense and passing, which probably won't get him the payday he's hoping for.

I don’t think it’s safe to assume anything at this point.  I think all of us are just guessing.

Also Hayward actually averaged 17.5 PPG.  If his goal is to be the “man”, and go to a middling team and average a few more points low 20s per game good luck to him. He came here to be part of a winning team, so I don’t think that would be the case but I’m just guessing too.

Hope he stays.

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Whether or not Hayward is "salty" I think it's safe to assume that if he does opt in and plays for the Celts this season, he's going to sign elsewhere after this season.  I think he and the team both understand that, which is why they've been exploring options for a trade.

I suspect Hayward would prefer to get traded before this season because he'd like to play for a team that will give him a larger offensive role before he hits free agency.

If he plays for the Celts again this season he could have another year where he averages 12-15 ppg with solid defense and passing, which probably won't get him the payday he's hoping for.

I don’t think it’s safe to assume anything at this point.  I think all of us are just guessing.

Also Hayward actually averaged 17.5 PPG.  If his goal is to be the “man”, and go to a middling team and average a few more points low 20s per game good luck to him. He came here to be part of a winning team, so I don’t think that would be the case but I’m just guessing too.

Hope he stays.

My belief is that there are too many rumors going around for there to be nothing to the idea that Hayward is dissatisfied with his role. 

I think there are some reasonable assumptions you can make working backward from the idea that Hayward is considering opting out, the Celts are looking at their options for trading Hayward, and Hayward is not super satisfied with what his role has been.

But I acknowledge, of course, that there's no way to be certain as to any of it, since there aren't any concrete reports.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Hayward Option Deadline 11/17 at 5pm
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My belief is that there are too many rumors going around for there to be nothing to the idea that Hayward is dissatisfied with his role. 

There’s a lot of smoke, although I don’t know if it’s because of his role.  There are a ton of reasons he’d want to move on:

* The Celts don’t want to pay him;

* He feels snake-bitten;

* He doesn’t like living in Boston

* He wants to be closer to family

Or, it could be his role.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2020, 07:48:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

There’s a lot of smoke, although I don’t know if it’s because of his role.  There are a ton of reasons he’d want to move on:

* He feels snake-bitten;

We also only got the full extend of the dirty laundry around Kyrie Irving after he was gone.
Lots of things going on in that Celtics locker room the last two years.
Illustrated by that parody in Game of Zones around the tensions between the young guys and the veterans.

I can see Hayward feel disconnected with the new core Tatum/Brown/Smart/Williams'es/Langford. He was probably much closer with Horford and Baynes.

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

* He feels snake-bitten;

We also only got the full extend of the dirty laundry around Kyrie Irving after he was gone.
Lots of things going on in that Celtics locker room the last two years.
Illustrated by that parody in Game of Zones around the tensions between the young guys and the veterans.

I can see Hayward feel disconnected with the new core Tatum/Brown/Smart/Williams'es/Langford. He was probably much closer with Horford and Baynes.

Yeah, as I recall those were his buds on the team, plus Theis.

“Throughout the season, we can’t be around a lot of the time,” Baynes said Thursday morning during the Celtics’ annual Stay in School Arbella event at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Roxbury. “We prioritize our offseason with being with the kids as much as we can. So, just doing little things like that, it’s a great thing.”

Baynes, Hayward and Theis, all new to Boston within the past year, formed a tight-knit friendship off the court over the course of their first season together.

What brought them close wasn’t just basketball, but also their families. All three men are married, and they each have kids ranging in age from one to three. And their days together at the Hayward household allow them, their wives and their children to all bond.

“It’s a great, great thing just being able to hang out with the teammates,” said Baynes. “We try to hang out with Al (Horford) and his bunch as well, he’s got a couple of young kids right around that age group. So, it’s a good thing.”

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/summer-060718-baynes-hayward-theis-find-comfort-offseason-family-bonding

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I think he’s be insane to stay here. There’s no way there’s a clear pecking order. Never is.

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2020, 10:49:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Could Hayward not opt in. But do a sign and trade?? 

If the team he wants to join, requires this move to make everything fit

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2020, 12:00:21 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
With Jrue out of the picture, the only trade left for GH would seem to be for Myles Turner/Oladipo? At least based on the rumors going around.

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2020, 12:43:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
  Oh my how Boston will hate Hayward for opting in. I’ve never seen a guy who hasn’t said a bad word once be so disliked here. Blamed for injury. Puke.

I agree.  I don't get all of this angst.  The guy is getting hurt.  Freak injuries that can happen to anyone.  I have no clue how this is going to play out and would not be surprised if Hayward resigns with the C's with a no trade clause.  I have never heard the Haywards talk about not liking Boston nor Boston (Team) not liking him.  Everything we have read is all Media click bait driven.  Maybe Hayward approached Danny and Brad about wanting to go home to Indiana.  I honestly feel that the Front office and Brad already know what is going on and will not be surprised when Danny states as such.  Gordon wanted to be here long term and finish what he started or Gordon wanted his wife and kids to be closer to family since he plans on retiring and living in Indiana after he plays.  I don't think that what is going on behind the scenes is actually knowns by anyone except the Haywards, Danny and brad.

Pretty much spot on.

The best outcome of all this would be for all the rumors to be nothing but hot air and for Hayward to stay in Celtic green.  I think most folks just don't get how much better of a team we have been when Hayward has been healthy and replacing his talent is not going to be easy if we lose him.   Pretty much every trade scenario I have seen speculated on leaves us as a worse team.

Obviously, if he truly does want to leave, we should try to get the best value we can out of that situation.  But it's very doubtful we'll end up in better shape.

TP, I agree. I think people are going to be disappointed...Trader Danny doesn't make a tenth of the moves that people here think he does, or would like him to do. It's probably people who want to get something back in case Hayward sticks around for another year at max money then walks away for nothing where we "didn't get our (or Wyc's) money's worth". That's understandable, nobody likes feeling ripped off, even if it wasn't their money. But I have a feeling that Danny will run the team back with only minor changes, given how close we got after the team had already gone through wholesale changes at the start of last season and nobody expected us to get as far as we did.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2020, 12:45:15 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
  Oh my how Boston will hate Hayward for opting in. I’ve never seen a guy who hasn’t said a bad word once be so disliked here. Blamed for injury. Puke.

I agree.  I don't get all of this angst.  The guy is getting hurt.  Freak injuries that can happen to anyone.  I have no clue how this is going to play out and would not be surprised if Hayward resigns with the C's with a no trade clause.  I have never heard the Haywards talk about not liking Boston nor Boston (Team) not liking him.  Everything we have read is all Media click bait driven.  Maybe Hayward approached Danny and Brad about wanting to go home to Indiana.  I honestly feel that the Front office and Brad already know what is going on and will not be surprised when Danny states as such.  Gordon wanted to be here long term and finish what he started or Gordon wanted his wife and kids to be closer to family since he plans on retiring and living in Indiana after he plays.  I don't think that what is going on behind the scenes is actually knowns by anyone except the Haywards, Danny and brad.

Pretty much spot on.

The best outcome of all this would be for all the rumors to be nothing but hot air and for Hayward to stay in Celtic green.  I think most folks just don't get how much better of a team we have been when Hayward has been healthy and replacing his talent is not going to be easy if we lose him.   Pretty much every trade scenario I have seen speculated on leaves us as a worse team.

Obviously, if he truly does want to leave, we should try to get the best value we can out of that situation.  But it's very doubtful we'll end up in better shape.

TP, I agree. I think people are going to be disappointed...Trader Danny doesn't make a tenth of the moves that people here think he does, or would like him to do. It's probably people who want to get something back in case Hayward sticks around for another year at max money then walks away for nothing where we "didn't get our (or Wyc's) money's worth". That's understandable, nobody likes feeling ripped off, even if it wasn't their money. But I have a feeling that Danny will run the team back with only minor changes, given how close we got after the team had already gone through wholesale changes at the start of last season and nobody expected us to get as far as we did.

Yet people keep doubting this team.

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2020, 01:33:25 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Mark Murphy: Gordon Hayward has not decided on his $34.1 M option yet, and has until 5 p.m. tomorrow to exercise it. The Celtics have myriad options of their own to still consider. League source: “All I can say is that a lot of people want him.”

Given how Gordon made us wait last time, I think we'll be waiting till the last minute: Hayward's timeline on decision is unknown - July 3 2017

At that time it did look like it was worth the wait though - Done: Hayward announces he's joining the Celtics - July 4 2017

Most people waiting for his decision now have a different opinion of Hayward's decision though. That's why I never hold it against a player who decides he wants to leave, because he can be gotten rid of at any time, even if it wasn't his fault (eg injury as in IT's case). At least if he did leave he's doing it on his own terms.  :angel:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:46:03 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
It is interesting that Hayward essentially has no-trade leverage.  If I understand correctly, he can't be traded until he opts in.  My guess is that the arrangement is that if the Celtics are able to put together a trade that he likes, he opts in and essentially accepts the trade.  If he doesn't like the trade, he doesn't opt in and takes his chances on the open market.  Maybe he gave a list of teams to the Celtics, that would not surprise me.

Seems reasonable to me and I still don't think there is ill-will or bad feelings.  The right trade is a win - win - win for Hayward, the Celtics, and whoever ends up with Hayward.  The clock is ticking though, if they are going to get something done, they have until what, 5:00p?

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Worst case scenario is Hayward ops out and Boston gets absolutely nothing for him. Best case is he opts in for this final year. This would allow Boston to either keep them or trade them. Middle case would be him opting in for less money and more term. That would show that he is staying in Boston.