Author Topic: Woj: Hayward to Charlotte (4 years, $120 million)  (Read 185906 times)

Re: Hayward Option Deadline 11/17 at 5pm
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2020, 01:09:18 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Barring some big trade that would probably involve another "high salary player" that is at the end of his deal, we have two options and Ainge/Hayward knew this when he signed this contract (2017) with a player option.

Hayward opts in and takes the $34M (high probability)
Hayward opts out for a "post max" deal elsewhere (low probability)

Thus he opts in and Ainge trades him or we have a really good player on the court for us this year.

As far as the "sign an extension for less money?" (very low probability) because Hayward doesn't "have to" do this.

I guess, if he departs, it might be to the Pacers, but, this NBA trade stuff is such a gamble. You never know.

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2020, 01:20:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Regardless how we feel about the recent moves over the past day, what's true is that yet again, other teams in our own conference are getting better while for the most part the C's just stand pat despite some of their glaring flaws. I'm hoping we see more action soon once we see Hayward's decision later today, but I'm not in the camp that "running it back" with much of the same roster is the best move. I'd be disappointed if they did honestly. Besides just a big man, they NEED an actual bench too, preferably with scoring.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2020, 01:23:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Regardless how we feel about the recent moves over the past day, what's true is that yet again, other teams in our own conference are getting better while for the most part the C's just stand pat despite some of their glaring flaws. I'm hoping we see more action soon once we see Hayward's decision later today, but I'm not in the camp that "running it back" with much of the same roster is the best move. I'd be disappointed if they did honestly. Besides just a big man, they NEED an actual bench too, preferably with scoring.

Our biggest issue is that we don’t really have mid-sized contracts, which are useful in constructing trades.  Mostly it’s just Marcus and maybe Kanter.  That limits things.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I get hung up on the part of trading Hayward to add scoring to the bench when chances are, the bench scoring isn't as good at scoring as Hayward.   

I think they need to add scoring without removing one of the top 4 scorers.

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Our biggest issue is that we don’t really have mid-sized contracts, which are useful in constructing trades.  Mostly it’s just Marcus and maybe Kanter.  That limits things.
Which is why it wouldn't shock me if Smart is the one to be moved ultimately. 

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2020, 01:30:07 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

I get hung up on the part of trading Hayward to add scoring to the bench when chances are, the bench scoring isn't as good at scoring as Hayward.   

I think they need to add scoring without removing one of the top 4 scorers.

What's actually out there that makes the C's better without Hayward.  Would you feel better if the C's got Danilo gallanari for the bench on the MLE and still have Hayward then draft a scoring guard.  Hopefully Romeo adds some scoring depth.  The C's don't have to trade Hayward to get better.  If they do the only way they get better is if they get dip and Turner for Hayward.  There aren't many deals that make the C's better by not having Hayward.  The C's were a healthy Hayward and a bench scorer away from the championship.  Even with all of the teams starting fresh I feel the same.  Once bench scorer.  Keep Hayward and hopefully a rookie that can come in and contribute like Herro did for Miami.  The C's don't need to blow it up.  Unfortunately it seems the team disagrees because they were willing to move Kemba one year after signing him to that max deal.  That's not a good look.

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2020, 01:32:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The worst part of this announcement, the best and worst outcome of this both start with the same move of opting out.   

Then the real painful wait of is he going to resign or not start.

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2020, 01:46:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm confused; is Hayward making his decision by today or does he have until Thursday at 5PM? Conflicting reports (Murphy tweet was yesterday, so suggests deadline is today Tuesday):

https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/1328460619473768448

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm confused; is Hayward making his decision by today or does he have until Thursday at 5PM? Conflicting reports (Murphy tweet was yesterday, so suggests deadline is today Tuesday):

It's today at 5pm.  I think Keith Smith is the conflicting report you're referring to and I believe he since said he was mistaken.

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I could see Gordon wanting to go to Pacers, but threatening to opt out unless Danny agrees to trade him there. And I could see Danny talking with Pacers about getting Oladipo; I doubt he wants Turner (I wouldn't; would not upgrade our current center position; sorry Turner lovers).

Of course this would mean he should move Kemba. He was trying to move him for Holiday, so no doubt he will try to move him to make room for Oladipo. Knicks the most likely target. 

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

It's today at 5pm.  I think Keith Smith is the conflicting report you're referring to and I believe he since said he was mistaken.

TP thanks.

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
How would people feel about flipping him for Aaron Gordon? Hayward is better player for sure, Aaron makes as much the next two years combined as Hayward will make next year on his option. He is a better defender, pretty good passer (3.7 assists vs Hayward 4.1), and young enough (about 18 months younger than Smart) that he could be part of the long term core. IF he's willing to play a more swiss army knife roll for the c's he could be a fit, he'd also have to hopefully improve his 3 pointer.

Now why would ORL do it? Well Hayward is a better ball handler and scorer, which they desperately need. Or Hayward could be routed to a third team and draft capital from that could be used for Aaron Gordon.

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I could see Gordon wanting to go to Pacers, but threatening to opt out unless Danny agrees to trade him there. And I could see Danny talking with Pacers about getting Oladipo; I doubt he wants Turner (I wouldn't; would not upgrade our current center position; sorry Turner lovers).

Of course this would mean he should move Kemba. He was trying to move him for Holiday, so no doubt he will try to move him to make room for Oladipo. Knicks the most likely target.

I would take turner if I could flip him to GSW I suppose the same with Dipo.

Hayward, Edwards and a second to Indiana
Turner to Washington
Brogdon, Bryant #9 to Boston

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:24:34 PM by Darth_Yoda »
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2020, 02:25:04 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

It's funny because the majority of CelticsBlog has been deadset against a Hayward for Turner trade while I saw the same suggestion recently on a Celtics instagram page and the majority of the 300+ comments said they'd make the trade in a heartbeat.
I'm torn. I'd like to keep Gordon, but not at his current rate and if its a guarantee he's going to leave or get paid elsewhere we MUST get something for him.

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2020, 02:25:24 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

I'm not sure flipping the guy who agreed to play for you a year ago and bail you out the Kyrie problem is the best long term business practice - if you expect to be in the free agent market again at some point over the next few years.  Players keep an eye on this stuff.  Even worse if you flip him to a lousy team.