Author Topic: Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?  (Read 10336 times)

Re: Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
If they win it again this season, it's a 3peat. 

I think the odds are then better than 50/50 that the core comes back for even just 1 more year and goes for something no team has done in NBA history and that's go for 4 in a row.

Curry, Green, Livingston, and Igoudala are currently signed and guaranteed through the end of the 2019-2020 season anyway.  Durant can then pick up his player option for 2019 and then Thompson signs a 1 year deal for somewhere in the $18-20 million range. 

If you go back to when Durant first announced he was going to the Warriors, and look at some of the tweets specifically from Draymond Green to him, telling him to ignore the noise and focus on the goals...if I remember correctly it felt like he was strongly hinting on trying to make history, and I think that history is 4 in a row.  They're halfway there.  If they can't get it done this season, I think the odds increase that that core may break up.

Which is exactly why this has gotta be the year I strongly think about splurging for a trip to San Fran to see our guys play their guys in their gym.

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2018, 06:32:44 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I think the odds are then better than 50/50 that the core comes back for even just 1 more year and goes for something no team has done in NBA history and that's go for 4 in a row.

Curry, Green, Livingston, and Igoudala are currently signed and guaranteed through the end of the 2019-2020 season anyway.  Durant can then pick up his player option for 2019 and then Thompson signs a 1 year deal for somewhere in the $18-20 million range. 

If you go back to when Durant first announced he was going to the Warriors, and look at some of the tweets specifically from Draymond Green to him, telling him to ignore the noise and focus on the goals...if I remember correctly it felt like he was strongly hinting on trying to make history, and I think that history is 4 in a row.  They're halfway there.  If they can't get it done this season, I think the odds increase that that core may break up.

Which is exactly why this has gotta be the year I strongly think about splurging for a trip to San Fran to see our guys play their guys in their gym.

Um bro, the Celtics won 8 in a row. 10 of 11.

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Who are the Celtics?

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

An apology may be necessary.  It will likely be accepted, but Bill Russell is reading this right now with his head in hand.

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

An apology may be necessary.  It will likely be accepted, but Bill Russell is reading this right now with his head in hand.
to be fair the first 7 of those 8 Boston only had to win 8 playoff games to win the title. Year 8 they won 11.  So if the Warriors do win the next 2 they will have 3 less playoff wins then the Celtics did in those 8 seaeons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

to be fair the first 7 of those 8 Boston only had to win 8 playoff games to win the title. Year 8 they won 11.  So if the Warriors do win the next 2 they will have 3 less playoff wins then the Celtics did in those 8 seaeons.
Which doesn't really mean anything
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You're really trying to get across that the Celtics 8 straight titles doesn't mean that much on a Celtics blog site. I understand that you like other teams besides the Celtics, but making this argument here, is not a good look. I will leave it at that.

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I expect Thompson to take a deal in the $25 million range to keep the team together, but Draymond will bolt in 2020.  I think KD will also continue to take $5 million or so under his max.

I think the opposite, that Green will take less to keep the train rolling, because he has to know he will become pretty irrelevant on a bad team that gives him the max.

Klay on the other hand, may actually be worthy of a max and could be effective on another team and not be the “fourth star” of the Warriors.

Klay, unlike Green, can continue to be an All-Star if he went to another team. Klay could get more recognition and more appreciation elsewhere.

Durant will stay because I really don’t think there is an avenue for him (like LeBron returning to Cleveland) to undo what he did to his image and legacy.

What do you think he did to his image after winning the last two championships? I think if he didn't sign with GS, he'd have two less rings. Pretty simple.

As far as legacy is concerned, I think rings matter. They are far more meaningful than any combination of advanced stats. He went to GS to win rings. He's 2/2, and I think he'll go 3/3.

After winning 3+ rings, I can see him wanting to build a team like Lebron is going to do in LA. Possible destinations for KD: NYK, BKN, WAS, MIA, LAC, SA, etc. etc.

The moment KD gets bored or wants a new city, he will be able to go anywhere he wants. I'm hoping its sooner than later, as this current GS team is annoyingly good.

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

To be fair, the Celtics winning 11/13 years is not comparable to anything GS has done. GS has a lot of work before they can enter that convo.

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You're really trying to get across that the Celtics 8 straight titles doesn't mean that much on a Celtics blog site. I understand that you like other teams besides the Celtics, but making this argument here, is not a good look. I will leave it at that.
I'm just saying that in a smaller league with less playoff games it was easier to win the title.  I don't think 4 today is worth 8 in the past but I don't think you'd need 8 today to be the same level of accomplishment either.

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2018, 06:47:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm just saying that in a smaller league with less playoff games it was easier to win the title.  I don't think 4 today is worth 8 in the past but I don't think you'd need 8 today to be the same level of accomplishment either.
Your point is still a pretty weak one, and really doesn't make sense on this blog, of all places

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 07:22:33 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Your point is still a pretty weak one, and really doesn't make sense on this blog, of all places

I stand by my previous stand on this guy. Dude doesnt seem legit.

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 08:20:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

a title is a title, but not all titles are created equal either.  It is much more difficult to win a title in any of the leagues today than it was to win a title in those same leagues in the 60's.  That is just a fact.  The leagues are larger, the playoffs are longer, the competition is just better, and the players move a lot more frequently.  What the Patriots have done is far more impressive than what the Steelers did in the 70's (as an example).  There are after all reasons you don't see a team dominate baseball like the Yankees used to or dominate hockey like the Canadiens used to, etc.  It is just a lot harder to win today than it was back then. 

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 08:38:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

a title is a title, but not all titles are created equal either.  It is much more difficult to win a title in any of the leagues today than it was to win a title in those same leagues in the 60's.  That is just a fact.  The leagues are larger, the playoffs are longer, the competition is just better, and the players move a lot more frequently.  What the Patriots have done is far more impressive than what the Steelers did in the 70's (as an example).  There are after all reasons you don't see a team dominate baseball like the Yankees used to or dominate hockey like the Canadiens used to, etc.  It is just a lot harder to win today than it was back then.
That is true, but it's ignoring other factors that contribute to the success of Golden State in particular. Namely, the unprecedented event that was a guy leaving his legitimate title contender to join the team that just bounced him from the playoffs.

Imagine Wilt joining Boston after 63-64, because that's effectively what happened.

I just don't get why you would try and make a point like that on CelticsBlog though. I don't really think it contributes anything

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I think the opposite is true. Basketball is set up so one megastar can dominate, and the best team will almost always win. If you have a clearly dominant player, such as a Bill Russell or a Michael Jordan, you have a huge advantage. Seven game series take lucky breaks or great games out of the equation.

To beat teams like that, another team must come along with a concentration of great players that can overcome that advantage. The bigger the league, the more spread out the talent is, and the less likely it is that a talented group of challengers will be able to form.

If the NBA added 10 more teams, it wouldn't diminish Golden State's odds of winning the title. It would make it easier. No matter how many teams there are, only three or so teams ever have a chance, because usually the top 5 or so players can always overpower everyone else.

Occasionally, the gap between the best player and the 10th best player isn't that big, and that changes things. But usually, you can't beat LeBron James or Kevin Durant with DeMar DeRosan.

Our chances fall on the outlier idea that we beat the odds, and in a big league, we somehow thread the needle and assemble 5 super talented players that can overcome the megastar effect.