Author Topic: Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?  (Read 10330 times)

Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?
« on: July 27, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
And if so, is this year the start of the Celtic dynasty?

Playing around with shamsports and their roster, and I think it might be.

in 2019, Thompson and Durant are both up to be resigned.

If both take max money, and without signing anyone else, their luxury tax bill will be at 110,000,000 with only 9 players on their roster. They will be 29 million over the luxury tax.

If they waived Livingston (only 2 million guaranteed) and filled the other 7 spots with vet min contracts, their tax bill would be $132,000,000, making their total payroll for players almost $300,000,000. Durant and Thompson could both take less money too, but probably not enough to make the payroll bearable. Maybe they could trad Iggy to save on the luxury tax too.

For perspective, their tax bill in 2018-2019 will be $45,000,000 and their total payroll will be $188,000,000.

And to make matters worse, in 2020, Green is a FA.

It seems like the Cs should be able to contend this year. I think they had a legit shot with a healthy roster last year. But (knocks on wood), the league should be wide open again after this season.

Re: Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I expect Thompson to take a deal in the $25 million range to keep the team together, but Draymond will bolt in 2020.  I think KD will also continue to take $5 million or so under his max.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:19:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I expect Thompson to take a deal in the $25 million range to keep the team together, but Draymond will bolt in 2020.  I think KD will also continue to take $5 million or so under his max.

Will Draymond still be effective in 2020 or worth the max that he's 'seeking'? He'll be turning 30.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Will Draymond still be effective in 2020 or worth the max that he's 'seeking'? He'll be turning 30.

I would be surprised if he’s not still effective.  Maybe not worth the max that will be around $35 million, but there will be a numbe between the $18.5 million he’ll get next year and that $35 million, and my gut says that he’ll seek the highest number he can get (which is completely justifiable), and Golden State will be outbid.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I wouldn't hold my breath. Thompson is already drawing attention from his hometown
Lakers, the team where his dad is a prominent broadcaster for.

They've been talking about this for years but of course no one in the media wants to talk about it. Keeping this team together will simply become waaaaay too expensive, which is why Silver has been pretty low-key about it most likely. He knows eventually the system would do what it is designed to do, create more parity in the NBA.

And from our perspective we'll be well into the tax in a few years, so win now Team Green...

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 06:52:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I wouldn't hold my breath. Thompson is already drawing attention from his hometown

They've been talking about this for years but of course no one in the media wants to talk about it. Keeping this team together will simply become waaaaay too expensive, which is why Silver has been pretty low-key about it most likely. He knows eventually the system would do what it is designed to do, create more parity in the NBA.

And from our perspective we'll be well into the tax in a few years, so win now Team Green...

This report came out just two months ago:

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/platform/amp/2018/5/11/17345272/2018-nba-rumors-golden-state-warriors-extension-klay-thompson-report-discount

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

This report came out just two months ago:

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/platform/amp/2018/5/11/17345272/2018-nba-rumors-golden-state-warriors-extension-klay-thompson-report-discount

Wow, that would help GS a lot. We'll see if he puts pen to paper.

Seeing as this was two months ago, might be past its shelf life..

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:28:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Well that would be bad for the Celtics because the Lakers will be running the West if/when one of those guys leave.

Plus, they could get Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompson next year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Well that would be bad for the Celtics because the Lakers will be running the West if/when one of those guys leave.

Would they though? Lebron's an old man, a year from now he's not going to be superhuman Lebron who carries teams to the Finals. The rest of that roster is mediocre.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Would they though? Lebron's an old man, a year from now he's not going to be superhuman Lebron who carries teams to the Finals. The rest of that roster is mediocre.
The players that the Lakers signed were to 1 year deals.  Next offseason, they'll have Lebron, some rookies and Deng (last contract year) on their books.  If Kawhi tells the Raptors he's leaving for the Lakers, the Raptors would probably be amenable to a sign and trade.  Then the Lakers would have enough cap space for Thompson. 

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

The players that the Lakers signed were to 1 year deals.  Next offseason, they'll have Lebron, some rookies and Deng (last contract year) on their books.  If Kawhi tells the Raptors he's leaving for the Lakers, the Raptors would probably be amenable to a sign and trade.  Then the Lakers would have enough cap space for Thompson.

Lots of ifs and wishful thinking.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Lots of ifs and wishful thinking.
They put themselves in position to take advantage of opportunities.  They got Lebron this offseason.  I'd say it is at least 50/50 that they get Kawhi next offseason.  Thompson is likely to re-sign with GSW but there will be other good free agents available.  Plus their young players could develop. 

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Everyone always assumes star players in their will take a discount, but it really doesn't happen that much, and if it does, it's not a significant discount.

Durant can make 37 million in 2019-2020. Thompson can make 32 million. I just can't see either taking more than a few million discount. I find it highly unlikely that Thompson takes a 25% discount (24-25 million) of his max, or that Durant continues to play for 30 million (over 20% discount) of his max.

Let's just say they do take paycuts at 25 and 30 million. With only filling out their roster with minimum contracts, they would pay over 40 million in luxury tax again next year, which brings their payroll up to almost 200 million.

I agree that if both Thompson and Durant take paycuts, then Green will likely get paid elsewhere, but I don't think it will get that far.

I find if far more likely that Durant or Thompson goes to the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, or Nets with some other combination of Butler, Walker, etc.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

How are they gonna do that? There's some talk, but ultimately, very few stars are signing for anything but the max.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

How are they gonna do that? There's some talk, but ultimately, very few stars are signing for anything but the max.
Sign Thompson into cap space and then sign and trade for Leonard with something like Deng, Ball/Ingram, filler, and a couple of picks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip