Author Topic: James Harden gets 5 yr $80M from Houston  (Read 3443 times)

Re: James Harden gets 5 yr $80M from Houston
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Harden is a max contract player. Good contract.

I agree.  I think with him as a primary option on offense his numbers should get to around D-Wades. 

Im not saying he is as good, but I think the numbers should be similar. 

I think a 25 PPG, 5 RPG and 6 APG line shouldnt be out of the question
A lot depends on what McHale does offensively.

But yeah mid 20s PPG 5 RPG and 5 APG would be roughly what he was doing in OKC if you give him more touches

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I still think the rockets had a terrible offseason. Overpaying 2 unproven guys by a lot and now giving harden a max contract. As a number one option I don't think he's gonna be able to cut it. He'll be good but not number one max money good.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree.  I think with him as a primary option on offense his numbers should get to around D-Wades. 

But yeah mid 20s PPG 5 RPG and 5 APG would be roughly what he was doing in OKC if you give him more touches

You don't even have to change his role to get this.

If you scale up his minutes from 31 to 38 and keep his per-minute averages exactly the same as their levels last year in OKC, he averages 21/5/5.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

If you scale up his minutes from 31 to 38 and keep his per-minute averages exactly the same as their levels last year in OKC, he averages 21/5/5.
This is pretty much where I would expect him to be this season.

In that 20-22 point range, 4.5 to 5.5 rebounds + 4.5 to 5.5 assists. Similar to Brandon Roy.

That said, James Harden is too reliant on the pick and roll for my taste. I think he'll need to become more versatile in his scoring to match Brandon Roy (and/or to become a 25ppg threat). To vary his scoring more in order to be more consistent / attack different defenses in alternate ways. His scoring efficiency will probably drop some as a result too.

Only just turned 23 years old though. Plenty of time for further improvement. Heck, Harden now is only the same age as Roy was in Roy's second season. Lots of room and time for improvement. 

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Yeah but the Rockets don't have guys named Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka to bail Harden out. Harden is going to be seeing the opposing teams best defender night in and night out. I think he will still produce but not at an overwhelming rate, certainly not a rate that a max player would be expected to perform at.

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
this may beat out the Joe Johnson deal down in Atlanta , as suspect for that type of loot

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I don't disagree with these numbers, but that STILL doesn't make him a franchise player.

This just looks so much like a Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Joe Johnson, Monta Ellis, Kevin Martin type contract.  All showed that kind of scoring ability that Harden has so far, all were given that kind of money over a long term, all turned out to be or look like they'll turn out to be crappy contracts.  Eric Gordon is in that same boat and he hasn't played his contract out yet, but I feel that his will look similarly regardless if he gets healthy or not.  All the players mentioned will put up numbers... I don't think any of them are good enough basketball players to take up 1/4 of a team's salary cap.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
He is a very good solid old school player. Not many of them around. Also extremely consistent (in other words not Kevin Martin); but still overpaid.

You can also ask who else is out there. Does this make Josh Smith a Max contract player?

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
He is a very good solid old school player. Not many of them around. Also extremely consistent (in other words not Kevin Martin); but still overpaid.

You can also ask who else is out there. Does this make Josh Smith a Max contract player?

If harden can get a max deal then josh smith deserves two.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Does this make Josh Smith a Max contract player?
The max contract for Josh Smith is a lot larger than for James Harden.

Harden only coming off his rookie deal so only eligible for that $78 million deal. Josh Smith is 8-9 years into his career now. A max for him would be $98 million. $20 million more for the same length (5 years).

I could see Josh Smith earning around the same as Harden ($15 mil per) but not the max contract he (J.Smith) is eligible for. If Harden had of signed a $20 million per annum, it would be more questionable ... but $15 million a year is fine for Harden.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Has anyone who has started only 7 games over his career garnered an $80m contract before?

I think Harden is a Top 20 player, but he's done a lot of his work against second line players.  I wonder if he'll be as good, or better, as The Man. 

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.   

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
harden isn't a crazy overpay. the guy will probably average 20/5/5, be a great playmaker, and play good D. that's...pretty good. he might end up being worth the max contract, and if not, it won't be absurd (like joe johnson, for instance). its also a smaller max contract (since its coming after his rookie contract).

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

This is pretty much where I would expect him to be this season.

In that 20-22 point range, 4.5 to 5.5 rebounds + 4.5 to 5.5 assists. Similar to Brandon Roy.

That said, James Harden is too reliant on the pick and roll for my taste. I think he'll need to become more versatile in his scoring to match Brandon Roy (and/or to become a 25ppg threat). To vary his scoring more in order to be more consistent / attack different defenses in alternate ways. His scoring efficiency will probably drop some as a result too.

Only just turned 23 years old though. Plenty of time for further improvement. Heck, Harden now is only the same age as Roy was in Roy's second season. Lots of room and time for improvement.

How do you thnk it will work with two very good pick and roll players, harden/Lin in the backcourt?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
He's lighting it up in his Rockets debut

34 pts 5 reb 8 ast with 8 minutes to go
Yup

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
He's lighting it up in his Rockets debut

34 pts 5 reb 8 ast with 8 minutes to go

Yup, personally I find him a very easy player to root for, go harden!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16