Author Topic: Joe Johnson would consider returning with the C's in the summer of 2010?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I know that a lot of people on CB love Joe Johnson so I thought I would pass this rumor (or piece of news?) from Marc Spears' latest column. Keep in mind it has no chance of happening, but still... a good theme for speculation. :P

Bulls targeting Johnson?

Two NBA sources said the Chicago Bulls are emerging as one of the leading candidates to land Joe Johnson(notes) when the Atlanta Hawks guard becomes a free agent after the season.

Johnson, sources say, is intrigued about teaming up with Bulls point guard Derrick Rose(notes). Johnson’s agent, Arn Tellem, also is close to Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and the Bulls would love an elite perimeter shooting threat to make up for the loss of Ben Gordon(notes).

The New York Knicks have been mentioned as another possible suitor. Johnson played under Mike D’Antoni when he coached the Phoenix Suns. A source also said Johnson would have interest in returning to the Boston Celtics, who drafted him in 2001, but such a scenario is laughable unless there is a sign-and-trade because the Celtics won’t have salary-cap room.

The Atlanta Hawks, of course, can still offer Johnson the most money. While Johnson turned down a four-year, $60 million extension before the season, the Hawks can offer him up to six years in a deal. The Hawks also are an emerging Eastern Conference power and Johnson is the only player in their rotation that will be a free agent next summer.

“We had some great dialogue this summer,” Hawks GM Rick Sund said. “While there was the possibility of extending his contract, the rules are more favorable to be a free agent next summer. That’s the route he wanted to go. We are going to do everything to keep him.”

Re: Joe Johnson would consider returning with the C's in the summer of 2010?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:17:29 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Interesting.  That could definitely extend the window...won't happen though.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Sign and trade Ray and BBD to Atlanta?

Rondo
Johnson
Pierce
Garnett
Perkins

mmmmh....

It's only a dream

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:10:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Can we trade Shelden Williams and Scal instead?  I think we'll still need BBD considering KG and Sheed will be yet another year older.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Only way we get Joe Johnson long term is to ship Ray and draft picks to Atlanta for Joe before the deadline so that we have his Bird rights and can extend him.

I don't think Atlanta would do that during the best season they have had in a quarter century.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Only way we get Joe Johnson long term is to ship Ray and draft picks to Atlanta for Joe before the deadline so that we have his Bird rights and can extend him.

I don't think Atlanta would do that during the best season they have had in a quarter century.

Yep, it would make no sense for them.

However, I admit I can't understand why Joe Johnson seems so willing to quit the Hawks for another team when they're progressing each year and developing a really nice core of players... He's the only star in that team, its leader, and he wants to leave? ???

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yep, it would make no sense for them.

However, I admit I can't understand why Joe Johnson seems so willing to quit the Hawks for another team when they're progressing each year and developing a really nice core of players... He's the only star in that team, its leader, and he wants to leave? ???
Maybe he doesn't like the city. Maybe he doesn't like the coaching staff or certain personalities on the team. Really could be a myriad of reasons why, none of which could have to do with whether winning basketball is being played there.

Johnson could go to a host of other places and play winning, championship caliber, contending ball next year. Atlanta is not his only option in that regard.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
as entertaining and satisfying as this fantasy is, i cant imagine any remotely realistic scenario in which johnson comes back to boston.

i guarantee you that the ever popular trade packages of "scal, giddens, walker, allen, and the crap from my attic" will not strike the hawks as equaling johnson's talent....nor would this common CB crapastic trade offer match offers made by other teams.

and we have not even begun to address the salary cap. if ray resigns for next to nothing, pierce donates a chunk of his salary back to the team, and garnet decides money isnt all that important to him....

maybe the team can do it.

nice idea, but aint gonna happen. now back to my morning coffee.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Sign and trade Ray and BBD to Atlanta?

Rondo
Johnson
Pierce
Garnett
Perkins

mmmmh....

It's only a dream

Can you do a double sign and trade in the NBA?  i.e. 2 teams over the cap both sign players with bird rights then trade them perhaps involving additional players also?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur