Author Topic: we have CS names. why did we choose them & what do they mean?  (Read 31655 times)

Re: we have CS names. why did we choose them & what do they mean?
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2021, 03:04:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Back in the early 2000's my son was a regular on the Jumbotron. I was still a lurker on the old CB and there was a thread about favorite J-Tron features. One guy said he really liked the fat kid who danced in the tunnel. When I finally started to post I picked the screen name.

What is a jumbotron?

Video scoreboard in the arena.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2021, 04:00:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I didn't choose my username....it chose me.

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Jvalin was the name of a character in an RPG game. My best friend was using it as a nickname for a while, but he had grown tired of it. At some point, I couldn't think of a nickname and he asked me whether I wanted to use his old one. I decided to use it temporarily, although I didn't like it. We must have been around 13-14 years old at the time. I've never changed it ever since.  :P

Funny thing is, I've never played that RPG game. Don't even remember the name of the game anymore. To this day, I still don't like the nickname. I can't think of one I really like though, so I just keep using the old one.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:16:57 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Back in the early 2000's my son was a regular on the Jumbotron. I was still a lurker on the old CB and there was a thread about favorite J-Tron features. One guy said he really liked the fat kid who danced in the tunnel. When I finally started to post I picked the screen name.

What is a jumbotron?

Video scoreboard in the arena.

Thanks

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 06:55:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
When I was in law school I was taking a class on copyright and patent law.  I thought it was pretty interesting, thought I might try to go into some kinda law like that. 

PHOSITA = Person Having Ordinary Skill In The Art

It's like the "reasonable person" standard, only in intellectual property disputes.  At least, that's how I remember it.

I didn't end up doing anything close to intellectual property law.  Glad that I didn't -- I don't think I would have found it interesting, in the real world.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I chose my username celts10 because the of the Celtics and the year 2010 which were quite great for me, personally, after a brief time being lost in the "wilderness" so to speak. I felt as if I had gotten my life back on track that year.

And although the C's did not reach the ultimate goal that year, it was fun seeing them surprise everyone by finding their mojo in the playoffs and reaching the Finals against the Lakers for the second time in three years.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2021, 09:03:20 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Obviously, being from Tennessee is where the first half came from.

The "smoothie" part was put in there as part of my online golf screen name from way back.

I have used that combination everywhere for at least 20 years now.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
When I was in law school I was taking a class on copyright and patent law.  I thought it was pretty interesting, thought I might try to go into some kinda law like that. 

It's like the "reasonable person" standard, only in intellectual property disputes.  At least, that's how I remember it.

I didn't end up doing anything close to intellectual property law.  Glad that I didn't -- I don't think I would have found it interesting, in the real world.

Wow. For over 10 years I've been convinced that you are Vietnamese, or just seriously appreciate their lovely soup. TP.

For me, trickybilly is a silly hip-hop name I gave myself, I also use illestwillest on some platforms. Will is my real name.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2021, 09:43:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

thanks...but why the capital "S"? And out of curiosity, what type of law do you do?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 05:34:38 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

I legit thought you were a soup connoisseur or something lol
- LilRip

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2021, 09:34:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Don't remember.   Maybe my keyboard got stuck.

LOL, this was my favorite response so far
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2021, 12:44:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

thanks...but why the capital "S"? And out of curiosity, what type of law do you do?

Just thought it looked better

I'm a workers' comp attorney, representing injured workers seeking medical treatment / wage loss benefits etc.

It's more interesting than it sounds.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2021, 08:31:18 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If not many are aware, my username is from the Will Ferrell movie ‘Semi Pro’ where Woody Harrelson plays Ed Monix a former Celtic.

http://youtu.be/7ffOrdVbC94

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2021, 06:42:22 PM »

Kiorrik

Reviving this just to say;

I just conjured a name I thought would be unique by assembling some letters in a somewhat unique order.

Everywhere else I just go by my actual real name; Dirk.

I regret not doing that here too :) but unfortunately, the name's taken, so I can't just swap!

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2021, 08:19:06 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I've always been quirky in my thoughts -- very mildly neurotic (if there is such a thing). Friends and colleagues through the years have given me light-hearted grief and at times some good-natured support for my occasional excessive concerns. 

TBH, in recent years I've wondered about changing my name since "neurotic" is an overstatement and neuroses can be serious.  As I've aged I've gotten less quirky, or more likely have managed my thoughts better. 

Covid of course hasn't helped with "germ" concerns (though being home almost all the time has helped a lot) but it's funny to watch some people doing now things that I've done for decades (example: not touching public doors with my bare hands). Generally the excess thoughts have had minimal impact on my life --  some lost sleep occasionally and an uncomfortable or awkward moment here and there. 

"Neurotic Guy" was the first thing that came to my mind after I considered "Hank Finkel" and it had already been taken.