Author Topic: mayweather sr: "mayweather-pacquaio will happen"  (Read 28670 times)

Re: mayweather sr: "mayweather-pacquaio will happen"
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Not that I'm really interested, but I thought I saw somewhere that pacquaio had never lost a fight or something.  I guess that's over now, lol ;D.

Sidebar - I'm assuming that Floyd is now off to the strip club, right, lol ;D?

Mayweather is undefeated. But honestly, he just kept running around and giving hugs to Manny so that he'd win by decision.  ::) ::) ::)

Last time I heard, clinching and evading punches are legal in boxing.

It's not the most fun of styles, but it worked. He dictated the fight by effective counter punching and jabbing. And once he sensed trouble looming, he quickly got out of the way.

It's not the most entertaining of styles, but it works. Just like the Spurs. They don't do flashy plays, and they hack the worst FT shooter of the other team, but if it leads to wins (obviously not tonight, but you get the drift), they will do it, and they don't care what others think of their boring, cheating style.

Floyd was masterful tonight. Controlled the fight with his jabs and defense. It wasn't fun, certainly not worth $100, but boxing wise, you couldn't probably ask for a better performance.

Clinching is one of the reasons why boxing became so so boring to watch.

So as Hack a Shaq in basketball.

Im not saying its fun, but's its part of the game, and Floyd tactically used it to his advantage.

All true but just because he excels at taking advantage of a bad rule doesn't mean he should be put up among the greats, or respected.

He's a terrible human being who defends his way to victory.

Also, the comparison between the Spurs and Mayweather is not an apt one IMO. The Spurs have beautiful passing, shooting and team chemistry. A better comparison in my mind is the old LeBron Cav teams. Where LeBron just Iso's, drives and waits for the refs to give him the call.

Effective, but boring.

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2015, 10:29:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A better comparison in my mind is the old LeBron Cav teams. Where LeBron just Iso's, drives and waits for the refs to give him the call.

Effective, but boring.

Manufactured greatness, about the same.   All sports hype the latest as the greatest.

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Not that I'm really interested, but I thought I saw somewhere that pacquaio had never lost a fight or something.  I guess that's over now, lol ;D.

Mayweather is undefeated. But honestly, he just kept running around and giving hugs to Manny so that he'd win by decision.  ::) ::) ::)

It's not the most fun of styles, but it worked. He dictated the fight by effective counter punching and jabbing. And once he sensed trouble looming, he quickly got out of the way.

It's not the most entertaining of styles, but it works. Just like the Spurs. They don't do flashy plays, and they hack the worst FT shooter of the other team, but if it leads to wins (obviously not tonight, but you get the drift), they will do it, and they don't care what others think of their boring, cheating style.

Floyd was masterful tonight. Controlled the fight with his jabs and defense. It wasn't fun, certainly not worth $100, but boxing wise, you couldn't probably ask for a better performance.

Im not saying its fun, but's its part of the game, and Floyd tactically used it to his advantage.

Im not saying its not part of the game, and that Floyd shouldnt use it to his advantage. Im saying it is what makes boxing so boring nowadays.

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Im not saying its not part of the game, and that Floyd shouldnt use it to his advantage. Im saying it is what makes boxing so boring nowadays.

Maybe I'm just not versed in boxing but at least with the hack a shaq rule:
1. Teams can't do it in the last 2 minutes anymore or else the opposing team gets 2 FT's and possession
2. Players can improve their FT shooting and make teams pay for hacking them
3. Teams can sub the poor ft shooter out.

With clinching, I don't know what anyone can do about it. At least with hack a shaq, there are ways around it and it becomes a useless strat against teams with decent free throw shooters. However, clinching is just a bail out like "I'm totally getting beat but let me clinch to make him stop."

It almost seems like there should be a rule against intentional clinching.

- LilRip

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

FYI, excess holding is actually illegal in boxing. The WBC's rules for a championship contest does indeed recognize "excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch" as 1 of 29 enforceable common fouls that could be cause for penalty or disqualification. It's up to the referee to determine what excess holding is and they tend to let Floyd get away with too much of it.

For instance, Floyd should have been DQ'd in his 2nd fight with Maidana - he held him every time Maidana got within range. It was an awful performance.

The fight Saturday wasn't quite as bad but again Floyd got away with a ton of holding. But Paq has been grossly overrated as a welterweight and Floyd's the better fighter at 147. Manny simply doesn't have the power which is why he hasn't knocked anyone out in 6 years. Once Floyd figured that out (and once Manny was down to one arm) it was all she wrote.

John Ruiz had a similar style - throw a punch or two and then hold. It was effective as long as the referees let it go. But when they wouldn't allow it anymore, Ruiz lost his title to an aging, blown up Middleweight (Roy Jones Jr).
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So Manny defrauded the public by not disclosing a serious injury which required surgery (he also lied on the form to the commission about pre-existing injuries).  Out at least 9 months.  Way to go Manny make Floyd look like the honorable integrity filled fighter.  Congrats.  That is hard to do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2015, 08:18:04 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So Manny defrauded the public by not disclosing a serious injury which required surgery (he also lied on the form to the commission about pre-existing injuries).  Out at least 9 months.  Way to go Manny make Floyd look like the honorable integrity filled fighter.  Congrats.  That is hard to do.

I'm guessing he has 80-100 million reasons why he doesn't care what you think. 

This was the single biggest payday this guy was ever going to have. Even delaying the fight could cost him money, I can't say I'm too surprised that he tries to grind it out. Especially when he when he was under the impressing that he was going to be allowed an inflammation shot pre-fight. 

Athletes play hurt.  Happens in every sport.  Sucks for the gamblers and fans but when you have $80 million on the table, tell me that you would just get up and walk away from that. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I think what Michael Koncz said is legit, that he was at fault for not disclosing the injury. If pacquaio was really intending to defraud the public and the commission, he wouldn't be expecting to be allowed an anti-inflammatory shot.

You have to remember, it took a long time for Pacquiao to convince Mayweather to do the fight, so he was really ecstatic that the fight is happening. He probably was worried that the fight might not push through once his injury is revealed and the match is postponed.

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2018, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Apparently Mayweather just can't stay retired (or he just likes money) as he mentioned yesterday that he will fight the Pac Man again, probably in December.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
did they fight before? If they did, it obviously is not that memorable of a fight.

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
did they fight before? If they did, it obviously is not that memorable of a fight.

It was the highest grossing PPV boxing match of all time.

The fight itself was lackluster but the buzz leading up to the fight was all over the place.

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Floyd just seemingly can't stay away can he? He's on 50-0, and has beaten everyone from Pac-Man & Canelo to De La Hoya & Hatton. What else is there to do? Besides make ludicrous amounts of money
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Floyd just seemingly can't stay away can he? He's on 50-0, and has beaten everyone from Pac-Man & Canelo to De La Hoya & Hatton. What else is there to do? Besides make ludicrous amounts of money

My guess is the cash flow.  Much more going out than coming in these days.  Not to say he's necessarily in any financial straits or anything.  Just the guy has been known to be loose with his wealth.

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2018, 11:44:39 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I wish they had fought in their prime, at least 3 years earlier.  I suspect/hope Manny would've taken it, but regardless of who won, that could've gone down as one of the greatest fights in boxing history.  Would've been nice for this generation to have that closure with a dying sport.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

My guess is the cash flow.  Much more going out than coming in these days.  Not to say he's necessarily in any financial straits or anything.  Just the guy has been known to be loose with his wealth.
Oh yeah, that's definitely what I think too. Just saddens me to see two legends who are clearly past their prime still going at it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)