Author Topic: Mannix: Really Good Market for Smart; Brings Up McCollum Possibility  (Read 4368 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967
I found this intriguing, so thought I would share. What's a realistic framework for a trade based around Smart and McCollum? Given their somewhat differing values and significantly differing contracts, I find a trade possibility based around these two hard to determine.

The only thing I can potentially think of is working out a S&T with Fournier and Smart for McCollum as the framework of the trade, which would help them retain some of the scoring of McCollum while adding Smart's defensive and other attributes. However, I know based on the rules this would potentially be hard to accomplish, require multiple transactions, and would have other cap implications for us (e.g. hard cap) that may make it not work for us.

But I would love to have McCollum here, who I think would be a great third piece for us if we decide we want to pay that much money long-term.

With Kemba Walker headed to Oklahoma City, Marcus Smart is the next man up for the Boston Celtics at point guard.

At least, for now.

The Celtics are expected to have a busy summer with a possible roster overhaul. Team co-owner Wyc Grousbeck readily admitted he's "prepared" for big changes to the roster this offseason.

Smart, who's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after next season, could be a part of those changes. Or, the Celtics could lock up their longest-tenured player to a contract extension.

On the latest episode of The Ringer's Bill Simmons Podcast, Simmons and Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix discussed how the C's might approach the Smart situation.

"My feeling is either Marcus gets extended or traded, but it'll happen in the next six weeks and it'll be one or the other," Simmons said. "And I would lean toward the extension, but I wouldn't be surprised if they traded him for, I don't know, the seventh pick with the Warriors. ... The 7-9 range is probably his value because I do think contending teams really value him because they've seen him in three conference finals teams. They know he could be a fourth or fifth guy on a really good team."

Mannix mentions the Trail Blazers, who could make some significant changes of their own this summer, as a potential destination for Smart.

"If Portland keeps Lillard -- that's why [CJ] McCollum is intriguing for Boston, because Smart would probably complement Lillard differently at least than McCollum does," Mannix said. "The biggest problem in Portland is there's no defensive backstop there. There's nobody that can guard wings the way Smart can. So you put Smart next to Lillard, you take a lot of pressure off him in that sense. There's a really good market for Marcus Smart."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 02:05:25 PM by jpotter33 »

Re: Mannix: Really Good Market for Smart; Brings Up McCollum Possibility
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 02:40:23 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I don’t think the Celtics should do this, but I’d assume a Smart-McCollum deal would look like:
Smart / Thompson / Nesmith / lotto protected 1st for McCollum

I like McCollum as a player, but I don’t think he’s the guy you push a bunch of assets in for if it might cost you a chance at Beal down the line potentially.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don’t think the Celtics should do this, but I’d assume a Smart-McCollum deal would look like:

I like McCollum as a player, but I don’t think he’s the guy you push a bunch of assets in for if it might cost you a chance at Beal down the line potentially.
This.

Also, Portland gets a lot of salary relief after next season if they let Smart and TT walk so they have a chance to be a player in free agency.  C's shouldn't have to give up Nesmith in that deal

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967

TP. Forgot about TT in that scenario. I don't think we should have to add both a first and Nesmith, but I would probably do something like Smart, TT, and Nesmith/ 1st for McCollum. They can always flip TT to another contender for more, too, especially if they retain Kanter.

I actually like McCollum's fit with the Jays much more than Beal. Beal is the better overall player, but I worry about whether there will be enough ball for all three in that scenario and their games not being as complementary. I think McCollum is much better suited to be the third guy behind the Jays and is seemingly a better playmaker for others and defender.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 03:33:21 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 03:26:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
I see Smart for a pick in the 7-9 range as realistic but not a trade for CJ McCollum. I am happy to hear and agree that there is a strong market for Smart but I feel this writer is underestimating CJ McCollum's value both as a Blazer and also as a trade asset.

Also happy to hear that Smart will likely be extended or traded in 6 weeks. Be nice to have some resolution there about his long term future.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 561
Ya expiring Marcus Smart isnt bringing back the 7th pick. There's just no way.

Mannix is a fine reporter, writer ect. But he's pretty much never been right on rumors. This strikes me as more pure speculation than reporting.

But if you could get the 7-9th pick for Marcus you do that in a heart beat.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I would be curious if Marcus Smart could fetch us the 10th pick from New Orleans.

If the Pelicans get priced out for Lonzo, Smart would be an ideal alternative for them (if he agrees to re-sign long term). IMO he would provide much needed toughness and grit to NOLA and he can operate as a secondary playmaker, off Williamson and/or Ingram.

The only question is if the Celtics can find a player that has equal or more value than Smart with the 10th pick or if they can bring a veteran point guard from the trade market or free agency.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Mannix is a fine reporter, writer ect. But he's pretty much never been right on rumors. This strikes me as more pure speculation than reporting.

And why would we wanna do that? Trying to develop a player to become as good as Smart is right now?
That's rather counter-productive.

A list of 7-9th picks since the Smart-draft of 2014.

7: Mudiay, Jamal Murray, Markkanen, Carter Jr, Coby White, Kylian Hayes
8: Stanley Johnson, Chriss, Ntilikina, Sexton, Jaxson Hayes, Toppin
9: Kaminsky, Poeltl, Dennis Smith Jr, Knox, Hachimura, Avdija

With the exception of Jamal Murray (torn ACL, btw) I'm not even sure if anyone on that list is clearly better than Smart.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 06:15:30 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 481

Would Washington be interested in McCollum with Beal going to the C's.  Keeps  Washington competitive getting a similar player back for Beal.  If Beal is gone then it should be an easy swap.  See what you have and if not there will be a ton of takers for McCollum because he's signed for the next 3 years.

3 team deal

Boston gets Beal

Washington Gets McCollum

Portland gets Smart / Thompson / Nesmith / lotto protected 1st for McCollum

The other issue is now the C's are desperate for PG help unless you think Beal can play point.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

And why would we wanna do that? Trying to develop a player to become as good as Smart is right now?

With the exception of Jamal Murray (torn ACL, btw) I'm not even sure if anyone on that list is clearly better than Smart.

I don’t think you should look at getting a 7-9 pick from a flat historical range.

Not all drafts are equal, nor are team selections. I think you should view a 7th pick within a 7-14th lottery range if you are looking for a clear contextual view. When you go back, there is plenty of value within those parameters:

2015: 11 Turner, 13 Booker

2016: 7 Murray, 11 Sabonis

2017: 7 Markkanen, 13 Mitchell, 14 Adebayo

2018: 7 Carter Jr, 8 Sexton, 10 Mikal Bridges, 11 Gilgeous-Alexander, 12 Miles Bridges, 14 Porter Jr.

2019: 7 White, 10 Reddish, 12 Washington, 13 Herro

2020: 7 Hayes, 11 Vassell, 12 Haliburton, 13 Lewis Jr., 14 Nesmith
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 07:09:20 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 07:15:28 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I think Stevens is setting up the team for 2022/23 and or 2023/24.

Smart's expiring isn't coming out of nowhere.

I love his game but, this last season was out of line and I suggest the "over achieving young Celtics" era can come to an end as they set up the J's for a title.

If you guys think McCollum is the "third" of the big three I'm game.

This thread offered Fournier + Smart = significant trade and that might explain to me the delay in the decision(s).

I don't see Stevens looking for draft picks to get newly drafted players on the roster. I certainly see him getting draft picks to help the big trade we're looking for in the future.

I agree that Smart has distinct and well established value in the NBA. I will say this and have said it before...

If Smart is the Celtics starting point guard this season? I am not impressed.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd be happy to trade him. If his value is high get him gone! Only going to get lower for contenders as he'll have less time to adjust to their schemes.

Hopefully the mail is good and we do see some sort of decision made.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

Would Washington be interested in McCollum with Beal going to the C's.  Keeps  Washington competitive getting a similar player back for Beal.  If Beal is gone then it should be an easy swap.  See what you have and if not there will be a ton of takers for McCollum because he's signed for the next 3 years.

3 team deal

Boston gets Beal

Washington Gets McCollum

The other issue is now the C's are desperate for PG help unless you think Beal can play point.

We don't need a SG, we need a PG, something McCollum, in the absence of Lillard, has shown he can do.

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 11:33:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

3 team deal

Boston gets Beal

Washington Gets McCollum

We don't need a SG, we need a PG, something McCollum, in the absence of Lillard, has shown he can do.
Yeah, I have a lot more faith in McCollum as a PG than Smart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 12:07:47 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 128

I don’t think you should look at getting a 7-9 pick from a flat historical range.

Not all drafts are equal, nor are team selections. I think you should view a 7th pick within a 7-14th lottery range if you are looking for a clear contextual view. When you go back, there is plenty of value within those parameters:

2015: 11 Turner, 13 Booker

2016: 7 Murray, 11 Sabonis

2017: 7 Markkanen, 13 Mitchell, 14 Adebayo

2018: 7 Carter Jr, 8 Sexton, 10 Mikal Bridges, 11 Gilgeous-Alexander, 12 Miles Bridges, 14 Porter Jr.

2019: 7 White, 10 Reddish, 12 Washington, 13 Herro

2020: 7 Hayes, 11 Vassell, 12 Haliburton, 13 Lewis Jr., 14 Nesmith

You just listed 22 players out of a possible 42, which is about a 50% hit rate.  And you included Nesmith, who is hardly what I would consider a "hit" at this point in time.  He may well prove to be one in time, but so far he isn't better the Smart was as a rookie.