Author Topic: On the positive side, can't wait to see a Brown/Smart starting backcourt.  (Read 6586 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So with much of the news not going the Celtics way, it made me think who is left and something got me very excited. If everything falls into place it appears our starting backcourt could be Marcus Smart at point and Jaylen Brown at the 2.

These guys, to me, didn't play a ton with each other last year. In fact, as a two man group, they were only the 25th highest grouping in minutes played together.

But, they could be the starting guard combo for us this year and play a bunch more minutes together. If they play to their defensive capabilities, this could be a terrorizing defensive backcourt.

They can switch everything. They can outmuscle just about every backcourt in the league. If Brown shoots like he did from Xmas on and Smart shoots like he did all last year, they will be very productive from three. And most importantly, they will set the defensive tone for the rest of the team.

The Celtics will need to grow some scorers from amongst Hayward, Tatum and Brown, but where I think next year's team will need to make their mark, is on defense. And I think a backcourt of Smart and Brown, with Horford and Baynes up front, will create that identity.

Once Jaylen ratcheted up his defense in the playoffs, I couldn't wait for Smart to return to see the damage the duo could do. Unfortunately, Smart didn't return like the Smart we know and the team rolled over in the second half of both games Smart played in, so that never happened.

But I do believe both guys could make All-Defense teams next year and if so, won't that be a great thing to watch?

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It's is very exciting to look forward too.

These two would be defensive dogs, full of energy and will be relentless.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I worry about the lack of quickness, driving ability, creative ball-handing and creative passing ability with those two together in the backcourt.

I see a lot of contested shots in Boston's future. On both ends of the court.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I worry about the lack of quickness, driving ability, creative ball-handing and creative passing ability with those two together in the backcourt.

I think Smart can be a creative passer. He had a good deal of alley oops and excellent passing decisions in the pick and roll. Sure, he did try to get too fancy at times and force the issue, but he is intelligent and will learn from it.

I also think you aren't giving either enough credit for their ability to drive and finish, especially Brown who was doing it more and finishing through contact so well as the year went on.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I too look forward to that. So much defensive versatility, and if Smart can maintain the improved 3P% we're golden.

I hope we get a veteran to back him up like Collison or Beverley, because both would work well next to Hayward I think (assuming Brad staggers the minutes to make Hayward run with the second unit more often, or bring him off the bench entirely). A lineup of Beverley-Smart-Brown-Horford-Baynes would also be insane.

I'm just glad all this Kyrie & AD drama is behind us now. Looking forward to the draft, and then to what is hopefully a good healthy offseason and pre-season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smart/Brown/Tatum is a good start.

Sounds like Horford wants to stay.

No idea what to make of Hayward at this point. Best case scenario is he gets back to old form and they can trade him.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It is true that Smart lacks some of the off the dribble explosiveness you see in the majority of point guards in the NBA. But he does have other skills and doesn't need many shots to be effective.

Unless we make a major trade, the team's offense should be centered around Brown, Tatum and Hayward being volume scorers. No team will have 3 defenders that can check them. There will always be a mismatch.

If you start Brown Tatum and Hayward and commit to pace and ball movement, I think we'll be good. Becoming a volume scorer in the NBA takes reps. Its time to give Brown and Tatum a bit more freedom to create offensively. For the first few months it may not always be ideal, but they have what it takes to become great scorers.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Very excited about this. I'd like to start Horford at PF though and have Hayward be our sixth man-we really need to start using the size we have aside from acquiring it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Very excited about this. I'd like to start Horford at PF though and have Hayward be our sixth man-we really need to start using the size we have aside from acquiring it.
If Hayward continues to come off the bench, a Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes starting 5 sounds good to me.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I hope the C’s start going inside more. We have a bunch of decent-good post players in Smart, Brown, Horford and maybe Tatum. It’s on CBS to make the adjustment to his players’ skill set.

- LilRip

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If Hayward continues to come off the bench, a Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes starting 5 sounds good to me.
Same here, potential top 3 team in the East with a chance to make the finals.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Smart is fine at PG (solid setup guard) but he needs more help from his two wings in terms of secondary ball-handling and playing. Tatum and Jaylen leave a lot to be desired in those areas.

That puts more pressure on the PG to do more with the ball and Smart is unable to handle that extra offensive load. He needs his wings to help share the load.

Matters would be made even worse by a limited offensive player like Baynes clogging things up.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Smart could be a problem without a top notch scorer at his side.  Just not enough of a scorer and he’d get exposed in the long run.  I think DA has got to find a way to get a legit full time PG on this team.  If he can, and horford stays, then I think we’ll have an enjoyable team on our hands.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
On the positive side, can't wait to see a Brown/Smart starting backcourt.

Outside of small arms fire, what would stop opponents from pressing a lineup of

Brown
Smart
Tatum
Horford
C

into oblivion?

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I would prefer to see someone like Brogdon or Dinwiddie as the starting PG, but barring that team will definately need a scoring center (Vooch?)

So team needs to work out a sign and trade for a TPE or renounce everyone and resign Horford for a heavily backloaded contract.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Vucevcic

I can get behind that team