Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, Daughter and 7 Others Killed in Helicopter Crash  (Read 24651 times)

Re: TMZ Report: Kobe Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
One of my least favorite athletes of all time, but I still had a ton of respect for him as a basketball player, his work ethic, and especially as a competitor.  Kobe was tough as nails.

RIP Kobe, Gianna, and everyone else who passed in the crash.

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Copter was a 1991 model .   Sorta old to be used everyday ?  i got a 1995 van and it has 2000 less moving parts to maintain and its a nightmare to keep it rolling on the road these days .   Im skeptical of doing much flying in helicopter period, most  especially an old one , no matter the maintenance records . I ll stay on the ground out of helicopters thankyou very much

The only detail released that could hint at the cause of the crash was that it was REALLY foggy this morning in the area and it sounds like the chopper crashed into a hillside so my first guess is the fog played a role in all of this

Perhaps there are more details but this is all I’ve read
Greg

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Just awful. Small private planes and helicopters can be quite dangerous. Not faulting anyone involved of course, but it reminds me of JFK Jr - another tragic error in navigation by a possibly less than professional pilot flying under adverse conditions. Ugh.

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2020, 09:00:03 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
There will be a Kobe statue erected outside of the Staples Center.  No question about it.

Just awful. Small private planes and helicopters can be quite dangerous.

Yeah, one of my co-worker's mom died in a small plane crash a few years back. 

Commuting in general is dangerous.  We all know people who've been killed or maimed while on bikes, motorcycles, scooters, cars, etc.  We take a giant risk every day we drive to work or school.

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Copter was a 1991 model .   Sorta old to be used everyday ?  i got a 1995 van and it has 2000 less moving parts to maintain and its a nightmare to keep it rolling on the road these days .   Im skeptical of doing much flying in helicopter period, most  especially an old one , no matter the maintenance records . I ll stay on the ground out of helicopters thankyou very much

The only detail released that could hint at the cause of the crash was that it was REALLY foggy this morning in the area and it sounds like the chopper crashed into a hillside so my first guess is the fog played a role in all of this

Perhaps there are more details but this is all I’ve read

on the net , a witness , living close to the crash , heard the chopper too low , ran out , heard the engine sputtering , though the fog , itwas close to the ground , all in flames before crashing.  Network news showed 150 knots take off, radar tracking he had in his hand , graph suddelny went to 50 knots ....its a two turbine chopper ,  sounds like one engine might have flew apart as a guess on my part , fuel  fires and doom

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2020, 09:07:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Know two aviation mechanics, they are excellent and in another whole other class in comparison the auto mechanics. Their level of what is flight worthy isn't compared to autos. I worked on numerous cars as a mechanic enthusiast also have three family members that are legit licensed car mechanics. If an older model is licensed to fly it's usually very well cared for.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:13:01 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2020, 09:12:12 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Just awful. Small private planes and helicopters can be quite dangerous. Not faulting anyone involved of course, but it reminds me of JFK Jr - another tragic error in navigation by a possibly less than professional pilot flying under adverse conditions. Ugh.
Besides those I would strongly advise against flying any Russian airlines as well.

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2020, 09:14:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
There will be a Kobe statue erected outside of the Staples Center.  No question about it.

Just awful. Small private planes and helicopters can be quite dangerous.

Yeah, one of my co-worker's mom died in a small plane crash a few years back. 

Commuting in general is dangerous.  We all know people who've been killed or maimed while on bikes, motorcycles, scooters, cars, etc.  We take a giant risk every day we drive to work or school.

Indeed. Don't even get me started on motorcycles, but your point is well taken. Cars do plenty of damage and ofc don't really get a second thought.

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Know two aviation mechanics, they are excellent and in another whole other class in comparison the auto mechanics. Their level of what is flight worthy isn't compared to autos. I worked on numerous cars as a mechanic enthusiast also have three family members that are legit licensed car mechanics. If an older model is licensed to fly it's usually very well cared for.

generally , but i still stand by my comment ....seen too many crashes

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2020, 09:28:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Hated him as a rival but always respected the heck out of him. Him scoring 81 was an eye popping moment from my childhood. RIP mr. Bryant
- LilRip

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

generally , but i still stand by my comment ....seen too many crashes
Weather and experience is huge in helicopter crashes. I'd say 10x more a factor than age of the machine itself.

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
May his soul and the souls of the rest of the people that died in the crash Rest in Peace, Amen.

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
This is like a bad dream to be honest it still hasn't sunken in for me and his daughter Gigi unbelievable I can't even imagine what his wife and kids are going through right now.

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2020, 10:01:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Orange Coast College baseball coach John Albotelli, his wife Keri, and their daughter Alyssa were confirmed as victims on the copter.  Albotelli coached for 27 years at the school notching 700 wins.  Current Met Jeff McNeil played for him in 2012.

The more you hear, the sadder it becomes. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2020, 10:30:49 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Trae Young and Devin Booker took 24 shots each and combined for 81 points tonight.