Author Topic: CB Draft Playoff Matchup - (3)Hawks vs (6)Pacers  (Read 33279 times)

CB Draft Playoff Matchup - (3)Hawks vs (6)Pacers
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Starting the thread for this.  Probably won't be able to post my strategy until 5ish, but I wanted to start it up incase the pacers had something to say
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: CB Draft Playoff Matchup - (3)Hawks vs (6)Pacers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
One Strategy that I know I will employ though is putting George hill on Avery Bradley and Kobe on Rondo.  Rondo has improved his jump shot but not enough to prevent Kobe from playing some part time center field especially with the likes of Duncan and Dalembert protecting the rim. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hmm....  Kobe vs. Rondo....  on a Celtics blog....

Upset brewing?  ;) ;D

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Wow this looks like it will be a nice series

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Age vs. youth.  Uptempo vs. halfcourt. 

Ultimate in contrasts from a matchup standpoint. 

Rondo could have an absolute field day here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Can we see the pressers? It'd make it a little easier.

I don't think Kobe can check Rondo, however. I wonder if Rondo can guard Kobe though...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:15:12 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:41:15 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Honestly I think the deciding factor here will be the Bradley vs Kobe Matchup.  I think Kobe has the post up ability to really take advantage of the size mismatch there.  And as long as Batum doesnt engage in any blatant groin shots I don't really worry about to many of the matchups that the pacers present. 

I think they are a good young team but don't have the offense to stay with my team. 

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Can we see the pressers? It'd make it a little easier.

I don't think Kobe can check Rondo, however. I wonder if Rondo can guard Bradley though...

Here is my plan, I will alternate George hill and Kobe on Rondo always keeping fresh legs on him.  and let the other guy recover while covering Bradley. 

Overall though the pacers backcourt is very poor at jump shooting.  Kobe and Hill will be able to give space and allow them to shoot jumpers if they want to, we will take that every day.  By Giving space there we will be able to double down every once in a while and help West and Duncan defensively in the post. 

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
THEEEEE ATLANTA HAWKS!!!!!!

Roster

C:  Duncan (28)/ Dalembert (20)/ Hollins (garbage)
Pf: West   (32)/ Mbah A Moute( 8 )/ Allen ( 8 )
SF: Hill (22)/ Mbah A Moute (23)/ CJ Miles (3)
SG: Kobe   (34)/ George Hill (10) / CJ Miles (4)
PG: George Hill(25)/ Jason Kidd (20)/ Reggie Jackson (3)

Coach: Phil Jackson

This is the breakdown of minutes during the regular season only.  Minutes will be adjusted for playoff matchups assuming we make it that far.

Starters:

Tim Duncan

The Hawks are honored to have duncan on the team.  While he is getting up there in age he is still a terrific defender/rebounder and scorer for the center position.  While we will ask him to do all of the above as part of the hawks, one of the most important dimensions he brings to the team is his passing.  We will be bring the triangle offense to atlanta and part of the triangle is having a big man that can past out of the post.  Duncan is one of the best in the game at that.

David West

West brings more great leadership and toughness to our team.  West is one of the best powerforwards in the league and proved it this past year in the playoffs as he put up 15 ppg and 8.5 rpg.  West is another very good passer and scorer down low as well as a very good jump shooter.  Duncan and West together are probably the best jump shooting big man tadnem in this leage and will help create fantastic spacing for my team.

Grant Hill

Grant is another veteran leader for this team who helps contribute to our fantastic ball movement as well as brings solid defense and a nice complimentary scorer.  Basically every team on the planet could use a Grant Hill.  Lucky for me, ive got the genuine article.

He will be used about 22 minutes a night which is 6 minutes less than his average from last season.  This should help preserve his legs for the playoffs.

Kobe Bryant

As sickening as this picture is for most celtics fans we have to give the man his dues.  Kobe and Duncan are two of the winningest NBA players of our generation.  They know how to get the job done.  Kobe will be the primary scoring option for my team and should thrive as he once did in the triangle offense. 

George Hill

Hill is an unselfish fiery player that will help this team win in countless ways.  He can penatrate and dish, he can knock down the 3 ball and he plays very good defense.  Hill took over the starter job for Indiana and hasnt looked back.

Keys off the bench

Sam Dalembert - Getting a starting caliber backup center was huge for the Hawks.  We needed somebody that can give Duncan adequate rest during the season and fill in on nights off for duncan.  Dalembert fit the bill.

Mbah A moute - Prince is a jack of all trades defender and will backup the 3 and the 4.  He is one of the few guys out there tha can lock down two positions and will be key for giving grant a rest when he needs it

Jason Kidd - Kidd will be playing approximately 20 mpg for the hawks and should thrive in the backup pg role at this stage of his career.  He will work well creating for Kobe Duncan and West and get them easy looks and he can also knock down the 3 ball.

Coach- Phil Jackson saw the potential of this team and as we know he only coaches teams that he believes have what it takes to win it all.  The Hawks are no exception.  Phil is one of the best coaches in the history of the NBA and he jumped at this opporuntity to match up with two of the best players in the history of the NBA.  Phil will install the triangle offense for this team and will bring even more championship experience to the hawks.

Draft Philosophy - I knew that I would try my best to trade up from 1.18 to the top 7 and get a top player, luckily I was able to do so and grabbed Kobe.  Once I had Kobe on the roster I knew the best positions to surround him next were Center and Power Forward and construct the team similar to the actual lakers.  I brought in Duncan and West and was very happy.  From there I went with George Hill who I believed to be the perfect complimentary pg for Kobe.

Conclusion - I think this team has a chance to do something special.  We have a enormous amount of experience and two of the winningest players of the last decade in the NBA.  We have the winningest coach in the nba.  add to that equation great complimentary guys like Kidd and Grant Hill and we feel that we have the leadership necessary to go all the way. 

If you start to think to yourselves, do these guys have what it takes?  Just ask yourself, "would I bet against the team with Kobe and Duncan down the stretch of a close game?"

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Here is my playoff rotation

C:  Duncan (35)/ Dalembert (13)/ Hollins (garbage)
Pf: West   (37)/ Mbah A Moute( 11 )/ Allen ( )
SF: Hill (25)/ Mbah A Moute (23)/ CJ Miles ()
SG: Kobe   (38)/ George Hill (10) / CJ Miles ()
PG: George Hill(28)/ Jason Kidd (20)/ Reggie Jackson ()

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Also, I think you have to include Experience vs inexperience here. 

You have two of the best all time going up against two up and coming good players at their positions.  One of which has never played a playoff game and the other played very poorly offensively the first time around in the playoffs and overall still has alot to prove. 

And in 3 career matchups while averaging the same number of minutes, Duncan has averaged more points,rebounds,blocks and out shot percentage wise, monroe 

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I would like to see Mbah a Moute get some time defensively against Rondo.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Haha that is certainly not something I would have thought of myself I'll tell you that much.. Would it work?

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Haha that is certainly not something I would have thought of myself I'll tell you that much.. Would it work?

Mbah a Moute has defended PGs before for Milwaukee and been very effective against them. Even bigger, longer and more capable defensively than Kobe Bryant. Probably quicker than Kobe too at this stage in Kobe's career.

I would expect Mbah a Moute to be your most effective defensive matchup against Rondo.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 01:12:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Mbah a Moute has defended PGs before for Milwaukee and been very effective there. Even bigger, longer and more capable defensively than Kobe Bryant. Probably quicker than Kobe too at this stage in Kobe's career.

I would think Mbah a Moute is your best defensive matchup against Rondo.

Well sure I bet Phil would have given that a try even if I hadnt thought of that.