Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye - a great defense on Giannis  (Read 2819 times)

Semi Ojeleye - a great defense on Giannis
« on: October 27, 2017, 02:53:14 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Maybe stat sheet won't show you but this kid made some great plays on Giannis replacing Horford on him.
Ojeleye made three stops on one possession against Antetokounmpo. First Ojeleye just down a baseline drive, then he took a secondary drive to the middle. Then Antetokounmpo looked to go baseline again, but Ojeleye cut it off and contest a turnaround jumper without fouling. Nothing goes in the books, but those three plays helped Boston to a victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtCaYyF-hU

Re: Semi Ojeleye - a great defense on Giannis
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:07:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A very good job. Incredible reaction/anticipation time to stay in front. It's the basics of defense, staying in front of your man is 90% of the job.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 06:52:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Maybe stat sheet won't show you but this kid made some great plays on Giannis replacing Horford on him.
Ojeleye made three stops on one possession against Antetokounmpo. First Ojeleye just down a baseline drive, then he took a secondary drive to the middle. Then Antetokounmpo looked to go baseline again, but Ojeleye cut it off and contest a turnaround jumper without fouling. Nothing goes in the books, but those three plays helped Boston to a victory.

These were not "three plays". It was one possession and that was virtually all Semi was good for the entire game.

We need Morris back.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151

These were not "three plays". It was one possession and that was virtually all Semi was good for the entire game.

We need Morris back.

You may be right, but he sure look scary-good defending him. 

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 07:04:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

We need Morris back.

You may be right, but he sure look scary-good defending him.
It was a good trip, better than anything else he's done this season. But it was still one defensive trip, and he's largely looked like G-League player so far. Morris may be all sorts of average, but his return will add an NBA-caliber rotation player to the roster. We need him, because guys like Semi and Larkin (and even Theis to an extent) shouldn't be sniffing minutes unless it's an emergency.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Semmi has great defensive posture, moves his feet  and has a strong base and is able to muscle  and absorb contact-he has a very average wingspan his only drawback
We needed this game and it was a team effort 2nd half-
Baynes had it tough tonight ,missing his dunks but had one. Done with emphasis ,when it counted
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:27:14 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right now a stout player can guard Giannis decently because Giannis  lacks a lot of moves.   He basically bulls his way to the basket.   He can't shoot that well, but if a guy can play chest to chest D on him, it takes away his move which is the get up some steam and go the basket.

Once his jumper develops and he gets a reliable spin move this won't be as easy.   Right now he can be contained using the above strategy.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
A very good job. Incredible reaction/anticipation time to stay in front. It's the basics of defense, staying in front of your man is 90% of the job.

What is the other 10%,
Steph who wants to bomb from 30 feet?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah, it was only one possession, but it was impressive to me - esp considering that GA is the leading scorer in the league right now. u don't see usually a second round pick rookie stop a first line allstar -ever.

at a minimum i'm sure it will earn him more chances / more PT to prove its not a fluke

lets hope he can keep it up

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3019
  • On To Banner 18!
This kid has had assignments against Lebron, Giannis and Porzingis and has looked REAL GOOD!  8)

Loving this pick a lot.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He needs to learn team/help defense but his one on one is impressive no doubt.

He also has a long way to go on offense.  Still have to like the pick a ton and the guy has potential.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

What is the other 10%,
Steph who wants to bomb from 30 feet?
Using your hands/arms to block a shot or steal the ball.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
he moves his feet so well and he's strong enough to absorb contact and force the shooter backwards.   it's pretty remarkable.

he looks terrible on offense but his defense is top level right now.   i think he'll be a guy that can shoot eventually though.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2717
he moves his feet so well and he's strong enough to absorb contact and force the shooter backwards.   it's pretty remarkable.

he looks terrible on offense but his defense is top level right now.   i think he'll be a guy that can shoot eventually though.

He shot the three pretty well in summer league, he can do it