Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47757 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How many years are we stuck behind the Cavs now? The foreseeable future, right?
Danny Ainge's remaining tenure
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How many years are we stuck behind the Cavs now? The foreseeable future, right?
Danny Ainge's remaining tenure
2 years?

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Instead of making a new thread I'll just ask this here. On a scale of 1-10 how stunned are you about this trade? I still can't believe this happened. Two teams that just played against each other in the ECF?

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Jeff Goodman on ESPN saying the holdup was not players but the pick. Cavs wanted Nets pick, Lakers pick or Tatum. Danny gave them the BKN of the other 2 options.

That makes no sense to me.

Yeah, and Goodman isn't exactly what I'd consider a great source for that sort of thing

Eh, while I'm not sure I buy this report, isn't Goodman one of the more reliable national guys for the Celtics? He's no Shams or Woj, but I thought he was like the national version of Bulpett in Boston.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hard to think of a package for AD any longer that's for sure.

You have to think that New Orleans was adamant that AD was going nowhere for Danny to pull the trigger here. I can't imagine that he'd make this trade if there was any chance of getting AD either at the deadline or next summer with the Brooklyn pick and other assets.

Or that Irving is a better asset in a potential deal for AD than the Brooklyn '18 pick
I'm bitter.

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

Jeff Goodman on ESPN saying the holdup was not players but the pick. Cavs wanted Nets pick, Lakers pick or Tatum. Danny gave them the BKN of the other 2 options.

The trade made no sense but Ainge did it anyway.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

You have to think that New Orleans was adamant that AD was going nowhere for Danny to pull the trigger here. I can't imagine that he'd make this trade if there was any chance of getting AD either at the deadline or next summer with the Brooklyn pick and other assets.

Or that Irving is a better asset in a potential deal for AD than the Brooklyn '18 pick

That could be, but how likely is it that Kyrie would stay in NO?

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Yeah, and Goodman isn't exactly what I'd consider a great source for that sort of thing

Eh, while I'm not sure I buy this report, isn't Goodman one of the more reliable national guys for the Celtics? He's no Shams or Woj, but I thought he was like the national version of Bulpett in Boston.

I don;t trust anything that's supposedly from inside the negotiations unless reported by Bulpett or Woj.  Maybe Charnia now
I'm bitter.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

That could be, but how likely is it that Kyrie would stay in NO?

No idea.  He would get a chance to be the man in a city with great winter weather, though.  If Boogie stays there then they could probably make the playoffs (with a coach other than Gentry)
I'm bitter.

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Personalities aside, this is a good trade for the future of the team.

Kyrie is a younger, faster, taller version of IT
Trading Crowder frees up the logjam at SF and offers a clear path to minutes for both Jaylen and Tatum
Zizic was not a star prospect... see him in a kind of Varejao mold... so losing him isn't the end.
Draft picks are uncertain and several teams will be deliberately tanking while the Nets will be trying to win. I think they are a 35+ win team because they are in the East.

Logic aside... I wanted IT to remain a Celtic for his entire career. Don't know if we are the same type of team without him and Jae

Re: ShamBomb: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap
« Reply #430 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I like it.  :)

whelp .....thats all I needed to hear .....

count me in too .... ;D

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2728976-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-reportedly-was-significant-concern-for-celtics

And there it is:

Isaiah Thomas was forced to miss the final three games of May's Eastern Conference Finals with a hip injury. As it turns out, that ailment may have factored into the Boston Celtics' decision to trade him to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in exchange for Kyrie Irving.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, the Celtics harbored "significant concern" about the state of Thomas' hip before shipping him to the Cavaliers along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick. 

Between this deal and Brad talking about IT potentially not being ready for training camp yesterday, I'm guessing IT's hip prognosis is not as good as he was reporting early in the summer.

If this is true, then it makes sense why it cost the Brooklyn pick in addition to the others.

The timing of all of this definitely does suggest that there's significant concern about his hip, and Cleveland is risking it because the Brooklyn pick is the main asset for them in the trade. They could very well end up punting this year if IT's hip flares up again.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2728976-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-reportedly-was-significant-concern-for-celtics

And there it is:

Isaiah Thomas was forced to miss the final three games of May's Eastern Conference Finals with a hip injury. As it turns out, that ailment may have factored into the Boston Celtics' decision to trade him to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in exchange for Kyrie Irving.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman, the Celtics harbored "significant concern" about the state of Thomas' hip before shipping him to the Cavaliers along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick. 

Between this deal and Brad talking about IT potentially not being ready for training camp yesterday, I'm guessing IT's hip prognosis is not as good as he was reporting early in the summer.

If this is true, then it makes sense why it cost the Brooklyn pick in addition to the others.
I'll believe it when I see it

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/900166435749728258

Ok this I do like to hear. If you're going all in make it worth it Ainge.

Offline masshlx

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm beery and like this trade.
Tomorrow I may feel different.
More in the sandwich, please.