Author Topic: Tony Allen has finally made it...  (Read 8479 times)

Re: Tony Allen has finally made it...
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Looking back we definitely should have offered 6mil for 2yrs to TA not JO.  That would have also left us with the MLE which we could have used to sign Corey Brewer or another wing and keep Perk/Nate.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Looking back we definitely should have offered 6mil for 2yrs to TA not JO.  That would have also left us with the MLE which we could have used to sign Corey Brewer or another wing and keep Perk/Nate.

I think there would have been a good chance of us using that mid level on Shaq if we still had it

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The wild unpredictabilty that came with playing TA drove me nuts.  And for some reason (perhaps necessity), Doc would throw him in at PG long past the time when that lesson should have been learned.

That said and hindsight being 20/20, it might have made more sense to give him the 2 yr/$9 mil deal that Nate got (instead of the 3 yr/$9 mil he got in Memphis).  Of course, I was glad to see him go, but seeing now how well Quisy worked out as a backup plan...ugh.

But would Danny have moved for Green if TA was here?

Tony Allen is insanely underpaid
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »

Offline missyP

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
Any team that has him is always getting a bang for their buck whether good TA or bad TA. I could name a bajillion guys in this league that walk way with a ton of $$ and yet  you really can not tell what they bring besides an occasional 3-pointer in the corner. TA will lock down the other team's best scorer and his offense is only a bonus. Ask D Wade, Lebron and Kobe from last year's playoffs.

If I was a GM TA is worth a good $5mil per year minimum on my team. The Grizz are seating on the treasure we allowed to walk.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I think there would have been a good chance of us using that mid level on Shaq if we still had it
No way.  Danny knew Shaq was gonna struggle to play even 40 games.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Okay. Jeff Green > Tony Allen. Period.

Who said Tony Allen was better than Jeff Green?  No one! ::)

I think he probably meant that if anyone misses Tony and wishes he was still here, Celtics have Jeff Green who is way better

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Okay. Jeff Green > Tony Allen. Period.

Who said Tony Allen was better than Jeff Green?  No one! ::)

I think he probably meant that if anyone misses Tony and wishes he was still here, Celtics have Jeff Green who is way better
Preemptive strike maybe?

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The wild unpredictabilty that came with playing TA drove me nuts.  And for some reason (perhaps necessity), Doc would throw him in at PG long past the time when that lesson should have been learned.

TA was a monster defender of PGs.  Andre Miller, for example, gave Ray and Rondo a lot of problems with his quickness and strength, respectively; TA just shut him down. 

So our offense would die, but so would the other teams. 

That's what made TA such a dynamite bench player for us last year, especially in the playoffs.  Our starters were good enough to build leads and our bench, spearheaded by TA and backed up by Baby and Sheed, was good enough defensively to hold them.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri