Author Topic: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman, Jaden Springer)  (Read 25318 times)

Re: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman)
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2024, 06:35:44 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2024, 06:36:50 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Looking at his stats, makes me wonder on generality: why do guys who shoot less than 30% from 3 bother taking them more than once in a blue moon?

I know 1.6 3’s taken per game is not a lot by today’s standards, but man, he’s never shot them well. 

Anyhow…glad we got him.  Seems like a good competitive big man.

I’m going to guess because his coach tells him to.  Last year when the Grizzlies were trying to win, he didn’t take any, but the other years when they’ve been less competitive he’s taken more.

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2024, 06:51:57 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
I remember a lot of us were confused when Brad kept trading down during the last draft to acquire 2nd round picks. He’s really good at his job.

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2024, 06:56:01 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I remember a lot of us were confused when Brad kept trading down during the last draft to acquire 2nd round picks. He’s really good at his job.

Tillman is pretty similar to Grant Williams. He's not as proven, but will have a chance to earn a GW contract with a good playoffs.

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2024, 06:59:14 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Nice, I like this trade. I posted this in one of the trade ideas threads and I’m glad it did happen. Tillman is a nice insurance big.

Given he currently plays 20+ mpg for Memphis and started all of their playoff games last year, I'd think X would be more than an insurance big...they will probably carve out some minutes for him from the rotation. As for who the minutes will come from I haven't a clue...maybe Al and Luke? Or the starters if they want to start managing their workload?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2024, 07:13:59 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
Nice, I like this trade. I posted this in one of the trade ideas threads and I’m glad it did happen. Tillman is a nice insurance big.

Given he currently plays 20+ mpg for Memphis and started all of their playoff games last year, I'd think X would be more than an insurance big...they will probably carve out some minutes for him from the rotation. As for who the minutes will come from I haven't a clue...maybe Al and Luke? Or the starters if they want to start managing their workload?

I’m guessing it’ll be situational. He can really guard wings well, something that can’t be said about Luke. Actually I won’t be surprised if he surpasses Luke in the depth chart. X can be developed into Horford lite.

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2024, 07:22:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Looking at his stats, makes me wonder on generality: why do guys who shoot less than 30% from 3 bother taking them more than once in a blue moon?

I know 1.6 3’s taken per game is not a lot by today’s standards, but man, he’s never shot them well. 

Anyhow…glad we got him.  Seems like a good competitive big man.

He'll probably be on the floor with 4 shooters so I think he'll be fine.

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2024, 07:39:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Very happy to see that Brad is at least paying attention to roster issues (while apparently ignoring the problems with his head coach).
Exactly the type of player we needed, plus he is young. Thought we needed bigger than 6'-7", but maybe no one like that was reasonably available. Let's just hope Joe gives this guy some regular minutes and does not bury him on the bench like he did Grant and Muscala.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2024, 08:16:39 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Very happy to see that Brad is at least paying attention to roster issues (while apparently ignoring the problems with his head coach).
Exactly the type of player we needed, plus he is young. Thought we needed bigger than 6'-7", but maybe no one like that was reasonably available. Let's just hope Joe gives this guy some regular minutes and does not bury him on the bench like he did Grant and Muscala.

I thought 6'7" was small until I read he has a 7'2" wingspan to go along with 245lbs.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2024, 08:34:18 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas

I thought 6'7" was small until I read he has a 7'2" wingspan to go along with 245lbs.

He’s a wide body and a grinder. I see him earning a lot of tommy points as a Celtic.

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2024, 08:38:15 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2024, 08:39:20 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Tillman is pretty similar to Grant Williams. He's not as proven, but will have a chance to earn a GW contract with a good playoffs.

I don't know about that (being similar to Grant).  Tillman has no 3-pt shot but is probably bigger and tougher defending other bigs.  It has been noted that he was a starter for Memphis in the playoffs last season so he has some potential to crack the Celtics playoff rotation, I guess.  We need a bench big who can defend and rebound.  He fits that bill.  Kind of a PF version of Queta is what I am expecting, but with more skill than Queta, and a lot less length.

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2024, 09:53:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Watching the C's get beat up on the boards in that Laker game last week was excruciating. They needed to bring in some toughness and Tillman seems to be toughness and versatility defensively. I think we'll see his offensive efficient take a big jump in Boston too.

Here's an encouraging video from 4 months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXLVi9fyP1c
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2024, 09:54:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2024, 01:12:27 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The Celtics have had approximately 500 players over the course of their history. I am confident that Tillman will sneak into the top 300 Celtics of all time list before it is all said and done.

Solid move for some depth
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 02:20:29 AM by JSD »