Author Topic: If Lebron wanted to come to Boston, would you want him?  (Read 4508 times)

Re: If Lebron wanted to come to Boston, would you want him?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
no. i want to beat him, not have him. it wouldnt feel right to have him after all those rivalries. thats like us having kobe. we respect him, but we dont want him.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
This is kinda like Dominique Wilkins playing for the Cs in the 90s. It just does not feel right.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I guess I am in the minority.

I just see it as selling out. I want my players to bleed green and be all about the organization. It seems Lebron just uses whatver organization he plays for as a vehicle to further himself and his place in the game. I want to embrace my  star players and I want them to embrace the team they play for.

I kind of agree with this. We'd be using LeBron more than he'd be using us.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
But it isn't going to happen, we beat him for years like a dog.

That's a bit of a stretch.  The C's knocked his team out of the playoffs twice.  His team knocked the C's out of the playoff twice.  Seems even to me.
Lol... it took a transcendent performance by our own Paul Pierce (with help from KG and Ray) to knock off King James and his crew of bums back in '08... we beat them by a whole 5 points in Game 7.   We came very very close to never winning Banner 17.  LeBron's best teammate in those playoffs was Delonte West.  Pretty pathetic supporting cast.

When did Ray help?  The Cavs shut him down in that series.  I think he had like 4 points, off of free throws, in game 7.  That series really showed how awful our half court offense was.  Cleveland's defense was outstanding, as was ours, but watching us try to score at times was painful, quite honestly.  There's no way that that series should have hinged on whether or not PJ Brown makes that critical 15 footer, or when Pierce got the trademark Celtic luck on that free throw.  It was always pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll...for both teams.  It's pathetic. 

Don't underestimate Lebron's teammates, either.  Yes, Cleveland got all the calls, but there were a number of guys who killed us in that series.  After watching what Daniel Gibson had done to Detroit the previous year, and knowing what Delonte was capable of in the big moments, I was extremely nervous.  Plus, Ben Wallace allowed them to trap the pick and roll and apply full court pressure, Big Z was a great pick and pop jump shooter as well as a passer, and Joe Smith routinely killed us off the bench.  Pavlovic was a tough, gritty player who hit big shots, Varejao flopped as much as his hair and got away with it, but what irritated me the most was the inability to exploit Wally Szczerbiak defensively.  At all.  Remember, we trailed at the half of game 5 if I'm not mistaken, and it was Rondo who saved us with some huge shots.  There was a lot of talent on that team, and that's why I don't buy that we would have beaten them a year later, with or without KG.  Posey was gone, our bench was considerably weaker, and they routinely whooped us in Cleveland, even when we had everybody.  I think Lebron had 38 in one game and made Pierce look bad, and they had the revenge factor from the previous year.  If we had beaten Orlando, we would have been embarrassed in the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals.  Without KG, that's a 5 game series - tops.  Orlando's strengths were Cleveland's weaknesses, but that was a tight series as well, which is why I really don't understand why people say that Lebron had no help when he was in Cleveland.  He did win back to back mvps for a reason, you know.  That 2008-09 team, had they not rested everyone against the Sixers in the final home game of that year, could have tied the 86 Celtics record for home court mastery.  They finished at 39-2.  It was death playing there, and the only team to win at the Q that year was the Lakers, after they had finished sweeping the season series with us, which told me that we wouldn't have beaten them, either.  Even in 2010, I thought that we were going to suffer the same fate as the 91 pistons against the Cavs.  We were really the underdog in that series, so it shocked me that we defeated them.  I guess that I look at things differently, plus I tend to worry a lot haha.

To answer the original question, btw - HELL NO!  Lebron a Celtic?  I don't even know how or where to start on that one, because the guy is the antithesis of what this franchise has always stood for, imho. 

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 11:13:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
While on the subject, I'd have no problem with Kobe in a Celtics jersey either.

Kobe has already donned a Celtic Jersey. He looked good in it. I have to believe I would support LeBron because believe or not I could not stand KG or Ray Allen when they played for Timberwolves and Supersonics respectively. I did not know I could fall in love with them as much as I did once they started to win in Celtic Green. So as much as I detest LeBron now, I have to believe that I would most likely support him in a Celtic uniform.

Its all about the Celtics.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've said it before, I'll say it again. NO!

I don't want to win with LeBron, I want to beat him. To a pulp. Then make him cry a little.

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
no because jeff green is more athletic and has more potential. Oh and he's more consistent !

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1486
100% yes.  I don't understand people who are saying they wouldn't take him at all.
Best player in the league, nah we don't want him.  Insane.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Sure, but only on a 3 year contract, because he likes to quite in the 4th year. ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:33 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Generally speaking, I have rooted against LeBron at every turn; however, to not want him in green is pure lunacy.

1) For whatever reason you don't like LeBron, think about how how you would have felt about KG or PP if they played for another team or Larry Bird.  All had reputations for being dirty players, trash talkers, and arrogant SOBs.

2) Whatever people don't like about LeBron pales in comparison to things other players have done. It's perfectly acceptable to never want Kobe, who has feuded with teammates and been accused of rape. LeBron, has always been a great teammate and never been associated with questionable things. And let's not have selective judgments about people when Robert Parish beat his wife, Larry Bird was a deadbeat dad, Reggie Lewis did coke, and now Jared Sullinger has had a domestic violence incident. If you can cheer those guys, you can easily cheer LeBron.

3) Finally, as much as it pains me to say it, LeBron is made to be a Celtic. Ubuntu basketball far predates Doc and KG--the Celtics have never in their history had a player lead the league in scoring and have always put the team ahead of the individual. And while you can accuse LeBron of being a narcissist off the court, he's the consummate team player on it. He always racks up assists, gets boards, and plays tough defense. In fact, the biggest knock on him is that he's too unselfish.

So yeah, I've cheered against him his whole career. But if we were lucky enough to get him in green, I'd be his biggest fan.

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »

fitzhickey

I don't know how anyone could turn down one of the greatest players ever.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 11:37:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
100% yes.  I don't understand people who are saying they wouldn't take him at all.
Best player in the league, nah we don't want him.  Insane.

There's something to be said of trying to win with players you want to win with, and something to say of wanting to beat a player we don't like regardless of how good he is, etc.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Generally speaking, I have rooted against LeBron at every turn; however, to not want him in green is pure lunacy.

1) For whatever reason you don't like LeBron, think about how how you would have felt about KG or PP if they played for another team or Larry Bird.  All had reputations for being dirty players, trash talkers, and arrogant SOBs.

2) Whatever people don't like about LeBron pales in comparison to things other players have done. It's perfectly acceptable to never want Kobe, who has feuded with teammates and been accused of rape. LeBron, has always been a great teammate and never been associated with questionable things. And let's not have selective judgments about people when Robert Parish beat his wife, Larry Bird was a deadbeat dad, Reggie Lewis did coke, and now Jared Sullinger has had a domestic violence incident. If you can cheer those guys, you can easily cheer LeBron.

3) Finally, as much as it pains me to say it, LeBron is made to be a Celtic. Ubuntu basketball far predates Doc and KG--the Celtics have never in their history had a player lead the league in scoring and have always put the team ahead of the individual. And while you can accuse LeBron of being a narcissist off the court, he's the consummate team player on it. He always racks up assists, gets boards, and plays tough defense. In fact, the biggest knock on him is that he's too unselfish.

So yeah, I've cheered against him his whole career. But if we were lucky enough to get him in green, I'd be his biggest fan.

You're going out of your way to make points that really don't need making. I loved KG, and loved him throughout his whole career. There have been a multitude of great players, trash talkers, etc., etc. that have been in other teams but the Celtics and I enjoyed following them and would've loved to have them in Celtics Green.

So the hypotheticals of imagine "Pierce" or "KG", etc. have little merit.

Every player is different, and just so happens that LeBron is not a player many of us here would like... and it's really not worth making an equivalent with some other talented player in another team because it really is of no significance. There's no LOGIC to it, but an emotional element to it.

Trying to make sense of it is a pointless endeavor.

We don't like him, we don't want him, we want to beat him.

I don't think it needs to be further analyzed. It's fairly simple.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
after all those playoff battles with lebron, it wouldnt be right. it would be like us having magic or kobe after dumping bird and pierce.  winning the championship would be near meaningless with that yankees storyline.

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
As a fan of winning, I say yes.