Poll

Should Kyrie play in the All-Star Game?

Yes
19 (38.8%)
No
30 (61.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: POLL: Kyrie and the All-Star Game? Should he play?  (Read 4250 times)

POLL: Kyrie and the All-Star Game? Should he play?
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Kyrie missed has last two regular season games (Phi and Det) to nurse his wounded knee.

Stevens was on 98.5 yesterday, and when posed this question he said that KI should be able to play if he is physically up to it. When questioned whether this was prudent in light of KI missing the last two games, he downplayed the injury and said KI could use the ASG as a game as a way to work back into playing regularly.

I think that Brad, being his diplomatic, don't step on the players" toes self, said this so as to not p--- off Kyrie whom Brad knows wants to play in the game. Hey, it's a festive, party weekend, glitter, friends around to hang with and play with. He has to know that Kyrie wants to play, so this is the only answer that he can give, if he doesn't want to ruffle KI's feathers.

I don't think that Kyrie should play. He missed the last two regular season games, which were pretty important given the 2 LA weekend losses. We lose those next two (Phi and Det), and we are in a tailspin, possibly death-roll for the season. So he must've been somewhat significantly injured.

I get it that KI wants to play with his All-Star buds and all, but not at the expense of ANY games for us this season.

Re: POLL: Kyrie and the All-Star Game? Should he play?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Is he healthy? If yes, then he should play.

Was he healthy over the last two games? No. Then he shouldn't have played.

It's only bad in dramatic fans bite on the national media narrative of Kyrie's discord with his teammates. In that case, it would be bad optics for him. But honestly, Celtic fans should be more perceptive than that.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If healthy, then yes.

It's only a bad look IF Kyrie plays the AS game but then misses more games once the C's resume playing again. With 24 games to go and a tough stretch ahead, we really can't just be "resting" Kyrie every other game now even against garbage teams (unless he's truly injured at some point but that would be another separate issue).

Even against bad teams I'd prefer we play him since now the margin of error is real low for this team IF we want the 3, or even 2 seed.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Kyrie missed has last two regular season games (Phi and Det) to nurse his wounded knee.

Stevens was on 98.5 yesterday, and when posed this question he said that KI should be able to play if he is physically up to it. When questioned whether this was prudent in light of KI missing the last two games, he downplayed the injury and said KI could use the ASG as a game as a way to work back into playing regularly.

I think that Brad, being his diplomatic, don't step on the players" toes self, said this so as to not p--- off Kyrie whom Brad knows wants to play in the game. Hey, it's a festive, party weekend, glitter, friends around to hang with and play with. He has to know that Kyrie wants to play, so this is the only answer that he can give, if he doesn't want to ruffle KI's feathers.

I don't think that Kyrie should play. He missed the last two regular season games, which were pretty important given the 2 LA weekend losses. We lose those next two (Phi and Det), and we are in a tailspin, possibly death-roll for the season. So he must've been somewhat significantly injured.

I get it that KI wants to play with his All-Star buds and all, but not at the expense of ANY games for us this season.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. First, that he's "significantly" injured. It's more likely that the team is being extra cautious by holding him out. Two, that if he plays it's simply because he wants to and against the team's wishes. He has to be medically cleared regardless and I'm sure if he does play, Danny and Celtics brass will be part of the decision.

The ASG is a glorified scrimmage. If he does play, he'd launch a few threes and likely spend the rest of the game sitting.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm not one of those people who are like he didn't play for us, he shouldn't play for them, if he does he's being selfish, etc etc. If he is cleared by OUR doctors to play then there's no reason he shouldn't. The doctors are the experts, they can make the call better than any of us sitting in our loungerooms pontificating about his fitness. Give him 10 mins or so and give him a light workout running up and down the court. That way he doesn't lose too much of his game conditioning. He doesn't have to defend or do anything stupid, it's an ASG. And on offense LeBum and Harden will dominate the ball anyway.

If OUR doctors determine he's not 100% and playing would be a risk to him then he shouldn't. It's pretty simple to me. Let it be a medical decision and not one based on what the fans think.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Never been a fan of All-Star games and weekends. I don't like that the players are playing in an environment where they are playing for nothing but could get seriously hurt and affect their team negatively.

Anyone remember Robert Edward's? ROY candidate at RB for the Patriots in 1998 that was invited to a rookie flag game during Pro Bowl weekend and dislocated his knee and almost needed his leg amputated? Was never the same again. Kid had 1135 rushing yards that year. Oh what could have been.

Lakers got lucky that Kobe only broke his nose and had a mild concussion from D Wade hitting him in the face in the 2012 ASG.

Just give everyone a week off. No need for this game or the other things going on during the weekend.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Never been a fan of All-Star games and weekends. I don't like that the players are playing in an environment where they are playing for nothing but could get seriously hurt and affect their team negatively.

Anyone remember Robert Edward's? ROY candidate at RB for the Patriots in 1998 that was invited to a rookie flag game during Pro Bowl weekend and dislocated his knee and almost needed his leg amputated? Was never the same again. Kid had 1135 rushing yards that year. Oh what could have been.

Lakers got lucky that Kobe only broke his nose and had a mild concussion from D Wade hitting him in the face in the 2012 ASG.

Just give everyone a week off. No need for this game or the other things going on during the weekend.

I agree. All-star games, in any sport, are unnecessary and can lead to bad stuff for teams and players. They might have been a good way to expose players from small markets to a national audience back in the days before cable TV and the Internet, but anyone who follows the NBA nowadays can find out anything they want about any player or any team quickly and easily.

So here's to hoping that Kyrie doesn't play this weekend.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would prefer he not play. A week’s worth of rest could be important.

But, either way. I trust Kyrie’s judgment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He could have accident.  But , maybe it would not hurt to show up , sit on the bench and run up and down the court a few times to please the crowd and TV audience .  usually the contact is low ,  basically make an appearance , douple five minute stints and take a few shots .  I d be ok with that.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 05:09:31 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't have much of a problem with him playing if the team doctors clear him. If he's healthy, playing some minutes in a meaningless game won't be a problem

If I'm Mike Malone, though, I wouldn't dare play him more than 15 minutes or so. If Kyrie were to get hurt in the All Star Game after missing the two previous games, that would look very bad for him (and the Nuggets organization as a whole). Better to just play the other All Star guards on the roster
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
If healthy, then yes.

It's only a bad look IF Kyrie plays the AS game but then misses more games once the C's resume playing again. With 24 games to go and a tough stretch ahead, we really can't just be "resting" Kyrie every other game now even against garbage teams (unless he's truly injured at some point but that would be another separate issue).

Even against bad teams I'd prefer we play him since now the margin of error is real low for this team IF we want the 3, or even 2 seed.

The 2 seed is honestly out of reach. The Celtics will have to fight for the 3 seed. Best-case scenario, they steal home-court advantage in second round. Or maybe the #7 seed can upset the Raptors, who knows!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He should play and dominate the game so LeBron can't....

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

I lost complete interest in AS weekend after the 2012 season. If Kyrie wants to play and is cleared then let him. Just don't go super MVP mode and risk another injury on a meaningless game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Does anyone trust Team Lebrons doctors to do a correct medical evaluation of kyrie on game day lol

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's important to younger fans to see him in the game. Also the league needs as much star power as possible in the game as people already tune it out. If he is healthy I want him to play a 10 to 15 mins. He is our all star let him rep our team out there.