Author Topic: How about one year extension for Big Baby??  (Read 7776 times)

Re: How about one year extension for Big Baby??
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
It's not BBD's fault but Doc's because he plays him too much even though he's getting killed on mismatches..

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 04:15:22 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
*waits for twitter pics where people want BBD back because he appears more fit*
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 04:51:52 AM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
Signing Baby, if we can do it at a reasonable cost, is a no-brainer.  The attitude about him around here is blatant scapegoating.  Everyone is frustrated because we really should have won a championship this year, or come close to it, but rather than blame the guy most responsible, Ainge, folks prefer to pile blame on the fat guy. 

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It's not BBD's fault but Doc's because he plays him too much even though he's getting killed on mismatches..

And its not Doc's fault he hasn't had much better options as the Centers were perpetually injured, and Troy Murphy played like he was 67 years old.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I've soured on his attitude, sign & trade would be the best.  Otherwise let him walk so he can "start"  ;) for some other team.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I don't think I could take another season of Baby thinking about an expiring contract , and therefore trying to pad out his numbers with optimistic jumpshots

Unfortunately I agree with this.  Glen Davis has made it abundantely clear that his #1 priority is to get paid, and scoring seems to be the metric he feels is most likely to get him that money.  Even Doc acknowledged that Davis was pre-occupied during the season & playoffs with his next contract.  The team cannot afford this distraction.

I blame Danny for not having ample backup for Doc to play, but I still blame Doc a lot for playing Davis more minutes than almost everyone on the team.  Even going small ball would have been better at times.  Doc's insistence on over-playing Davis was very annoying.

Honestly, do yourself a favor and look at:

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011BOS.HTM

Now ask yourself, if you could replace 1 player's production with something decent/good and get the most benefit from it, who would you replace?  There's no way I can see anyone other than Davis.  He got the 4th most minutes (starter minutes, and even more than KG), yet was the 12th most productive (-4.8 simple rating).  Replace those minutes with 1 or 2 players who can get even a rating of 0.0 while playing with 4 all-stars and it's a huge gain.

Clearly the blame lies with Danny, Doc, and Davis, in some order.  Oh, and before you slam 82games, keep in mind that the creator of the website analysis was hired by the Mavs a year or so ago.  

If Davis is on this team next year he'll eventually focus on how he can maximize his next contract (i.e. points), Doc will focus on playing Davis too many minutes, and Danny won't do enough to mitigate this.  Therefore, re-signing Davis to a 1-year deal in my opinion is unacceptable.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think BBD goes to the highest bidder. He's young and still hasn't had his big payday. If someone offers him a good deal, chasing a ring (which he already has) isn't going to be too much of a factor. I highly doubt he signs for one year.

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »

Offline missyP

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
I don't think I could take another season of Baby thinking about an expiring contract , and therefore trying to pad out his numbers with optimistic jumpshots

+1

Another season of BBD taking 14 jumpers while Ray is taking 7 is too much for me, especially with a possibility of either PP or Ray playing more minutes with the second unit. Time to say adieu to Baby and let him go play starter minutes and take as many starter jumpers as he want.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 876
  • GOT IT!!!
Like others have said, Baby excepting a one year deal isn't going to happen. Besides money he wants a bigger role on the team and he isn't going to get that playing in Boston.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105

Unfortunately I agree with this.  Glen Davis has made it abundantely clear that his #1 priority is to get paid, and scoring seems to be the metric he feels is most likely to get him that money.  Even Doc acknowledged that Davis was pre-occupied during the season & playoffs with his next contract.  The team cannot afford this distraction.

I blame Danny for not having ample backup for Doc to play, but I still blame Doc a lot for playing Davis more minutes than almost everyone on the team.  Even going small ball would have been better at times.  Doc's insistence on over-playing Davis was very annoying.

Now ask yourself, if you could replace 1 player's production with something decent/good and get the most benefit from it, who would you replace?  There's no way I can see anyone other than Davis.  He got the 4th most minutes (starter minutes, and even more than KG), yet was the 12th most productive (-4.8 simple rating).  Replace those minutes with 1 or 2 players who can get even a rating of 0.0 while playing with 4 all-stars and it's a huge gain.

Clearly the blame lies with Danny, Doc, and Davis, in some order.  Oh, and before you slam 82games, keep in mind that the creator of the website analysis was hired by the Mavs a year or so ago.  

If Davis is on this team next year he'll eventually focus on how he can maximize his next contract (i.e. points), Doc will focus on playing Davis too many minutes, and Danny won't do enough to mitigate this.  Therefore, re-signing Davis to a 1-year deal in my opinion is unacceptable.

Thank you. I've been saying this for literally years now about Davis.

He's a horrible, horrible player and any more money/time spent on him will be a total waste. There's a reason why no other teams wanted to pay him last summer.

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Thank you. I've been saying this for literally years now about Davis.

He's a horrible, horrible player and any more money/time spent on him will be a total waste. There's a reason why no other teams wanted to pay him last summer.
He's not a horrible player, he's a horrible starter. And last year he was playing starter minutes for most of the year, which is a huge problem.

He needs to be a 15-20 minute fourth big man off the bench, in that role he's an asset.

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »

Offline PortCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
For sure Davis will disagree with playing 15-20 minutes since we know he wants to be starter. But he sure as hell won't start on a contending team. This time around I don't expect Danny to wait out the market because last year he got burned by TA. In fact it's plausible Danny already knows his value and has an idea where to ship him. Exercise BR ... pay him, and deal him in a S/T. Bottom line though ... I rather have him here for another year than risk losing him and getting nothing in return.

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd SnT him for Nick Collison and maybe a second rounder if OKC will agree. Highly unlikely though, but it's an idea.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yes please.

I know CB is down on him - but the chances of us finding two bigs better than him this off-season on one year contracts isn't very good

I agree, I am a little sick of the hatred for this guy and being able to extend him another year (especially with all of this Howard talk) would be great. We could even sign him for a pretty healthy amount to keep him here and then test out Dwight or somebody else next offseason. With all of the Celtics complaining about chemistry problems this year, we might as well hold on to one of the guys playing major minutes this year.

For me, though, it is mostly about cap flexibility for the 2012 offeseason. We are either going to kill that by signing an underwhelming big for multiple years or a very over the hill player that everyone will complain about anyway.

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I don't hate the guy at all. I agree with all the posts about us scapegoating Baby.

But I think sometimes, he thinks he's better than he really is. He wants a trade now and wants to be a starter. The question is who would want Big Baby to start now? He'd be a good backup but he won't be earning a lot more than he's earning now.