Author Topic: Off topic - Masters in Accounting no CPA plans; what can someone expect?  (Read 10375 times)

Re: Off topic - Masters in Accounting no CPA plans; what can someone expect?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In the 16 games he has played since hitting that 1st three pointer his FG% is 53.7%(29-54) and his 3PT% is 39.1%(9-23) and Grant has a TS% at 62%.

Is it a hot streak or a correction after getting over rookie jitters? Judging by his mature play and a really nice looking shooting form I think he was simply getting over his initial nervousness.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 01:11:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
In the 16 games he has played since hitting that 1st three pointer his FG% is 53.7%(29-54) and his 3PT% is 39.1%(9-23) and Grant has a TS% at 62%.

Is it a hot streak or a correction after getting over rookie jitters? Judging by his mature play and a really nice looking shooting form I think he was simply getting over his initial nervousness.

I don't remember this question on the CPA exam.   ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't remember this question on the CPA exam.   ;)
Dang...I could have sworn I posted this in the Grant Williams thread. Oh well.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Someone dear to me is finishing a Masters in Accounting, but not planning on becoming a CPA.

For those of you with experience in the Accounting world; what can this person expect with those credentials?

Thanks for your take - in advance.

Just out of curiosity, why don't they want to pursue becoming a CPA? 

I have a B.S. in accounting and a Masters in taxation.  Then became a CPA.   Guess I'm trying to figure out why you would go the MSA route but then not go for the CPA? 

Even without a CPA, a Masters in Accounting is a good tool to have and certainly will help on a resume.  If they're looking in the private sector, I'm sure they'll be fine. Not having a CPA or an intention to get a CPA will certainly limit things in public accounting, though.   

Thanks for your take!

To answer your question; this person will be 21 when finished with MAcc..  and don’t want to put the time required to prepare for CPA.  I don’t blame her; graduated with BS in Accounting in 2yrs.
Chances are this person wants a break from testing and will be content with an MAcc

Thanks to all for your encouraging take.  I knew I could count on Celtics nation for a good sound take.

It will be tremendously more difficult for your friend to pass the CPA years down the road than now with her education fresh in her head.  Plus, the further from school the harder it is to really study hard again.  You’d be doing her a favor by encouraging her to begin taking the tests soon.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I worked for two big 4 firms as a CPA for 12 years before becoming a CFO several times and eventually a high -level financial consultant for Fortune 500 companies.

There are jobs where a MAcc without a CPA is enough, but the primary point of getting that degree is to get the CPA. Accounting firms generally require the CPA to get into management (although there are also other paths for tax) and if you want to be a higher-level corporate finance job, they're going to want the CPA. She's already earned the college credits needed for the CPA, so the tough part is behind her.

As others have said, best to get after it as soon as possible after graduating.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 09:15:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't have an accounting degree (pursued a degree in the science field), but have worked for e-commerce company doing accounts payable and receivable work. Maybe that could be your specialty. Maybe payroll as well? Something to work your way up from. Others who've posted in here have some good ideas too.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)