Author Topic: Lack of Defined Roles Is the Issue  (Read 1538 times)

Lack of Defined Roles Is the Issue
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Hey Brad. Starting Smart good idea, why Nobody knows his role better than Smart. I've always though Smart and Irving are a perfect pairing for obvious reasons.

Smart is a perfect solution for Brown currently because
of Brown's lack of defined role. Tell him to come off the bench and be very agressive offensively and defensively.

I also love the fact he started Morris who has easily be a top 3 player this far so why not start the guy, he's playing great and you know what. He understands his role.

Lastly Al Horford I know you read this blog, so listen up. NEED you to score the ball. Horford, Tatum, Irving leading the team in scoring is exactly what is needed.

Know your Role Celtics. Bras Stevens needs to address this.

Re: Lack of Defined Roles Is the Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Lack of hitting threes is the issue.

If we make our threes, we win. If we don't, we lose.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I hope you agree that that's not acceptable from Stevens. Too many athletes to be 1 dimensional.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pros should know their roles to some degree folks this is their livelihood it's not that simple.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 07:03:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I dunno if this is "the" issue or not, but this thread does make me think of a recent article on The Ringer about the Dallas Mavericks.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/11/27/18114406/dallas-mavericks-luka-doncic-dennis-smith

Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the NBA at plugging players into specialized roles that fit their skill sets.

“We really try to keep our role definition as simple as possible. We have gone through it with all of our players. They all have a laminated sheet that has five things that are expected of them,” Carlisle told me after practice on Monday.

My reaction on reading that:  If Brad were handing out "laminated sheets" to the players, I imagine he'd be handing almost everybody the same sheet with the same 10-12 things on it that every one of the players was expected to do.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it is an interesting difference in coaching philosophy, I think.  Versatility is the watchword in the NBA these days.  But I do wonder if sometimes it would easier to consistently generate offense if the roles were more clear cut.  You can't argue with the results in Dallas, where Carlisle has managed to get great production out of his bench guys year after year. 

Then again, his ability to get high level production out of his starters is less magical. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I hope you agree that that's not acceptable from Stevens. Too many athletes to be 1 dimensional.

So true. Can you imagine what Popovich would be saying to this group right now?

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

So true. Can you imagine what Popovich would be saying to this group right now?

TP Chris. I know right.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Hey Brad. Starting Smart good idea, why Nobody knows his role better than Smart. I've always though Smart and Irving are a perfect pairing for obvious reasons.

of Brown's lack of defined role. Tell him to come off the bench and be very agressive offensively and defensively.

I also love the fact he started Morris who has easily be a top 3 player this far so why not start the guy, he's playing great and you know what. He understands his role.

Lastly Al Horford I know you read this blog, so listen up. NEED you to score the ball. Horford, Tatum, Irving leading the team in scoring is exactly what is needed.

Horford doesn't really need to score more, he needs to get the ball in position to make plays more.  His assists and passing numbers are way down this season.  This team has always been at it's best when Horford and the PG (IT/KI) can play a two-man game (PnR / PnP / DHO).

Our best offense is when Al and Kyrie are the main initiators, and the others play off of them.  But that requires the other players to do more than just stand around waiting.  Instead, we've had a mash up of egalitarian iso-offense, players standing around, and a bevy of missed threes (some open--some not).

Recently, we've seen glimpses from Al that when he's engaged and included the team ball movement greatly benefits.  That needs to continue.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Horford doesn't really need to score more, he needs to get the ball in position to make plays more.  His assists and passing numbers are way down this season.  This team has always been at it's best when Horford and the PG (IT/KI) can play a two-man game (PnR / PnP / DHO).

Our best offense is when Al and Kyrie are the main initiators, and the others play off of them.  But that requires the other players to do more than just stand around waiting.  Instead, we've had a mash up of egalitarian iso-offense, players standing around, and a bevy of missed threes (some open--some not).

Recently, we've seen glimpses from Al that when he's engaged and included the team ball movement greatly benefits.  That needs to continue.

Yeah I could have just said agressive. Point is. Al we need you. Your role is to be agressive offensively and please rebound.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 12:28:10 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Eh, lacked of defined roles may be an issue, but I can't believe that's what's keeping guys from regularly making open shots. As I've said elsewhere, when guys repeatedly go up for shots and repeatedly miss, it's not because they're unhappy with their roles or their minutes; they're just plain missing. They're professional basketball players; they should be able to make shots more consistently, regardless of their roles or minutes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 03:26:22 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
While I generally agree with the OP's premise "Lack of Defined Roles Is the Issue", I truly believe that earlier months of the season are the right time to define them.

His approach is to set roles organically and I believe that is the best way to go.
See how combinations work and then, by the time he has enough info and proof to change rotations he will go for them.

However, that is only the rotation for the regular season, to endure the long haul.
I expect different animal come playoff time.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."