Author Topic: The real problem with the Celtics  (Read 3955 times)

The real problem with the Celtics
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We are too small.

When was the last time a team who's best player was under 6 5 won a championship. Look at how Toronto was transformed by Khawi. Anige needs to do whatever he can to get one of the handful of bigger players that could lead us to a championship.

Re: The real problem with the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Stephen Curry, 2014-2015

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Stephen Curry, 2014-2015

That is one of the players.

Make a list for me.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Our wings are tall.  Brown, Tatum, and Hayward are between 6'6" and 6'9".  We need those guys to step up their games.  Our problem is that they haven't.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
6'3'' ... 6'7'' ... 6'8'' ... 6'9'' ... 6'10''

That's the listed height of every guy in our most-used lineup.

The Celtics aren't a small team.

Maybe by 2010 standards, when you needed multiple 7 footers to compete. 

Not so much in 2018.

The issue is that the Celts don't use the height that they have.

Multiple wings and guards with good size who can handle the ball and attack space ... there's no good excuse for the Celts to generate so few free throws.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
How tall are the guys who have been Killing us??
JJ, Murray, Burke to name a few.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
PhoSita did an excellent job of reviewing the stats through the first 20 games, highlighted several problem areas (shooting, lack of FTAs, and dud games), and concluded that having several young players shouldering a lot of responsibility is difficult.  He also used the word linear somewhere in there.

It's also been pointed out that they tend to get up for difficult but not weaker teams, which is a sign of hangover.  I'd speculate that a team this talented and coming off a great playoff run, with now so many guys failing to perform, is characteristic of a significant locker room issue.  Not sure where that may be coming from though, since nearly all of these guys are first-class w/out a history of those issues.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
We are too small.

When was the last time a team who's best player was under 6 5 won a championship. Look at how Toronto was transformed by Khawi. Anige needs to do whatever he can to get one of the handful of bigger players that could lead us to a championship.

I see what your saying but let me expand. Horford is 6'8" he's our only real big. 6 years ago he was over 10 rebounds a game now he's down to 11 points per game and 6.4 rebounds per game this is the problem.

Horford is on his way down and we need to upgrade to a superstar big. End of Story.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
well we didnt win a championship when isiah thomas was our best player but we were way better than this. so i dont know if the height is really the main thing.

i so miss IT

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We are too small.

I see what your saying but let me expand. Horford is 6'8" he's our only real big. 6 years ago he was over 10 rebounds a game now he's down to 11 points per game and 6.4 rebounds per game this is the problem.

Horford is on his way down and we need to upgrade to a superstar big. End of Story.

Horford is not 6'8... Where do you get your information...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Stephen Curry, 2014-2015

That is one of the players.

Make a list for me.

You better learn to understand what you are typing, because you asked "when was the last time" and I answered you.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see less small backcourts.

32.3mpg for Kyrie
23.2mpg for Smart
22.6mpg for Rozier

That is a lot of playing time to smaller guards. I'd like to see the Celtics stay bigger on the wings more often and give a few more minutes to the big guys (Theis, Baynes or Williams).

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I'd like to see less small backcourts.

32.3mpg for Kyrie
23.2mpg for Smart
22.6mpg for Rozier

That is a lot of playing time to smaller guards. I'd like to see the Celtics stay bigger on the wings more often and give a few more minutes to the big guys (Theis, Baynes or Williams).

We have the size but our players with size (Theis, Baynes, Williams, for example) are just not that good.  Smart and Rozier are playing more because the bigger alternatives aren't as good.

This does not explain all the issues with this team.  The team we have should be better.  I don't know the problem.  I have not accepted though that we are a 0.500 team.  I think we are much better.  I hope they prove me right.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
6'3'' ... 6'7'' ... 6'8'' ... 6'9'' ... 6'10''

That's the listed height of every guy in our most-used lineup.

The Celtics aren't a small team.

Maybe by 2010 standards, when you needed multiple 7 footers to compete. 

Not so much in 2018.

The issue is that the Celts don't use the height that they have.

Multiple wings and guards with good size who can handle the ball and attack space ... there's no good excuse for the Celts to generate so few free throws.

Isn't Tatum listed at 6'-8"?  That is fine for a wing but a skinny 6'-8" is small for your second "big".  We are fine at all positions except PF (assuming Horford is primary C with Baynes as the back up).  Most of the PF minutes go to Tatum and Morris and neither is really a full-sized big.  I see this as a problem but not a big enough problem that we should be playing 0.500 this far into the season.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Smart needs to start with Brown on the bench.  It would help not only Smart and Brown but also Irving, Tatum, and Hayward a great deal.  The starting unit needs Smart's nastiness.  They need his ability to defend PG's since neither Irving nor Brown is particularly adept at that.  They need his ability to get to the line and his much better passing than Brown.  They don't need a scorer from that position as it is handled elsewhere.  Brown needs to be on the bench where he can have the ball in his hand more and where he can spend more time at his more natural SF position.  He needs to be in a spot where his role is greater and not just pigeonholed as a spot up shooter.  I've been saying it all year and it is far more true today than it was at the beginning of the year.  Smart needs to be in the starting lineup with Brown on the bench.  Period.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip