Author Topic: Horford Might Be The Most Important Player On Our Team (Hear Me Out)  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Might sound bizarre and like a hot take, but you notice how when Horford plays very well (also on the defensive end) and is getting everyone involved better, the team looks great and unstoppable (which helped us win a lot of games last year including playoffs).

But when he’s not so great it seemingly has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team which makes them inconsistent, underwhelming, etc. and usually leads to tough losses.

Unfortunately Horford has looked mediocre and underwhelming to start the year and we’re 10-10 through our first 20 games. Obviously others have to do better as well but I think along with Hayward easing in, we NEED Horford to figure things out as well because when Horford plays well, it has a trickle down effect and we look like a legitimate contender.

I know Horford is not known to be a scorer but he's still got to shoot better and give the team about 13-15 PPG regularly, and also go back to being one of the better defensive centers in the league (like he's been for much of his career, just not so far this year). Also his assist numbers are a bit down from previous years which correlates to him not being able to get others involved which is what he's capable of doing extremely well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Horford Might Be The Most Important Player On Our Team (Hear Me Out)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
He is the most important player on the team. It doesn’t help that he’s the only big that can be good on both sides of the floor either.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 11:19:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
He is the most important player on the team. It doesn’t help that he’s the only big that can be good on both sides of the floor either.

Yeah our center depth is already pretty thin and Baynes is a solid rotational big. Williams could help IF they let him play more minutes. Hopefully Horford figures it out but I also feel we need to make another PF/C acquisition (trade or buyout signing) since just one injury to our 'bigs' group puts us in major trouble honestly.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 11:20:08 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I wouldn't consider this a hot take; he's probably the best two-way player on the team in general given his capabilities on both offense and defense. With that said, he's been underwhelming on both sides of the ball and it's bringing us down as a whole. Unfortunately, this has a massive impact on our team considering he's our only decent big.

I suppose that's the price we pay for Ainge stocking our roster with only one reliable big.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:21:43 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Remember when Horford would get close to triple doubles? Hes not touching the ball nearly as much. No offense is run through him anymore.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Remember when Horford would get close to triple doubles? Hes not touching the ball nearly as much. No offense is run through him anymore.

That needs to change.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 11:42:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

That needs to change.

Yes, it does.  We're barely running any pick n rolls.  We're barely even setting any picks. 

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

Yeah, this isn't really that controversial. Al really is the barometer of our team, and I don't think it's a coincidence that both his usg% and ast% is down quite a bit this year from the last two years.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 11:46:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

That needs to change.

Yes, it does.  We're barely running any pick n rolls.  We're barely even setting any picks.

It does seem like Al isn't the initiator as much as he was last season, he more often gets the ball back at the top of the key for a 3 or doesn't get the ball at all.  we rarely give him post up opportunities, and he hasn't been able to show his passing skills as much this year.

Al doens't seem as intense on def as he was last year either.  I doubt it is supported by stats, but it just feels like he isn't playing as well on def as last year. 

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, this isn't really that controversial. Al really is the barometer of our team, and I don't think it's a coincidence that both his usg% and ast% is down quite a bit this year from the last two years.

It gives me hope that maybe if Horford improves, so will this team by a significant margin  :)

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403

That needs to change.

Agreed. Not as involved in the offense this season and Horford is the player who does the most to help the players around him (on offense) - by creating easier opportunities for everyone. This is leading to more one-on-one plays from Kyrie, Tatum and Jaylen.

Gotta go through Horford more. He is the best team player on the team. The others are individual talents (Kyrie, Tatum, Jaylen). They do less to help others. To help 5 guys play as a unit. Horford does that. He makes them a team. That is why the ball has gotta go through him.

Hayward does this too albeit to a lesser extent. It is the other three (Kyrie, Tatum, Jaylen) who play individually. They are soloists. They need to operate around a team fulcrum. That is Horford. He has got to touch the ball more often. He is the offensive facilitator.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
To pile on to what everyone else is suggesting - is there a stat for last season that shows how many possessions Al brought the ball up the court last year and initiated the offense as a pseudo PG? I feel like this used to happen a few times per game and was effective in opening up the paint and removing the other team's big from the middle. I don't feel like this is happening at all anymore, for better or worse (although, leaning toward worse).

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree inasmuch as Horford is the best playmaker on the team and should be the guy we run our offense through.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Aging Al is easing into his role as heroic playoff performer....leave him alone for now. 

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Horford with a fantastic all-around game tonight and C's win by 10+ on the road.

Coincidence? I think not!