Author Topic: When IS the right time to panic?  (Read 6468 times)

Re: When IS the right time to panic?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Right about................now!

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09:47 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am taking the don't really care attitude the players have

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »

Offline Curley

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I love my Celtics every year no matter what stage we are at as a team, but it has been so frustrating watching this team play.  I want to see the chemistry we all thought this group would have.  I hope they can figure it out soon otherwise I fear for the safety of my TV one of these nights.

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 11:06:19 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So far, we've had a lot of threads about just how bad the start of the season has been, with just as many threads mocking those threads and telling us to just let the team develop a rhythm. It's the internet so, of course, there's no in-between.

Here's my question: At what point does it become socially acceptable to panic? Do we have an official time where we fear that we won't be able to reverse the trends of Jaylen Brown shooting like Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum shooting like Kobe, Terry Rozier shooting his mouth off about playing time, etc?

It would be very helpful to me, and I'm sure many others, if we had a defined time frame in which simple nervousness turns to sheer, blind hysteria?

Personally, I'm looking at it the same way that I look at games: by quarters. The first quarter is figuring out who belongs where and how the lineup will look. We should be doing better by now, but I'm okay with a slow start. We are, however, approaching the second quarter, where we should have the kinks worked out and be accelerating toward dominance (although I thought we'd be further up the curve by now). Third and fourth quarters should be steady state, top-2 team.

Personally, I'm going to start panicking around Christmas, game 33, with a full state of terror by the new year (game 37). And it's a good thing that I didn't pick Chanukah, since I just realized that it it's early this year and starts in a little over a week. Sorry, kids, your presents will be a little late this year...

Mike

As you just alluded to I think it depends on the individual. Some people just have a longer term outlook than others. Those people might take a year or two to panic. Others who are more short term focused might be slitting their wrists after a week of losses.  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 12:20:06 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
new guy here; been a c’s fan since the early 80’s. lurked for a few weeks but thought i’d introduce myself and offer a few random observations on the season so far.

i’d like to see the offense return to running through horford in the high post, which worked well last year. can’t understand why the offense has devolved into drive-and-kick-outs and way too many threes.

i’m noticing a lot of players standing around on offense. as much as i like hayward, he’s been the most guilty of this, but most of the team is also culpable. the c’s are playing too much one-on-one basketball with multiple drives into the lane and kick-outs for a 3-poiner in a single possession, instead of attacking the rim.

brown is an elite athlete but not basketball player. his b’ball IQ seems low and he’s fallen in love with the three point line. i could be wrong but he’s playing lazy, uninspired basketball this year (i guess this could be said of several players).

in spite of his timidity and standing around, i’m not worried about hayward. he just needs time to find his game but the team’s current lack of offensive flow & discipline is hurting his re-acclimation.

rozier isn’t playing team ball and should be traded. he has solid market value now but if he continues to  perform like he has lately, his marketbale trade value will drop.

most championship teams have a marcus smart type player who doesn’t show up in the box score but affects the game by doing the dirty work. i wouldn’t mind seeing him start alongside kyrie a few games to shake things up a bit. i’d also like to see him focus his offensive game around the rim and stay away from the 3-point line.

kyrie is frustrating. he displays remarkable flashes, especially lately, but hasn’t been the consistent floor general, leader, and scorer danny expected for this team.

tatum has hit the sophomore slump, i believe partly due to him believing his own press and the fawning he received from kobe. he’s also forcing too many difficult shots, instead of finding his shots in the natural flow of the offense (which in fairness to him, doesn’t exist at the moment).

with the way the team continues to play, i don’t understand why williams was assigned to maine and isn’t getting more playing time with the c's. move horford to the four, and allow williams to protect the rim, clean up the glass, and get some easy put-backs. seems to me he’d add more value than baynes or theis.

one thing i definitely don’t understand is the approach of curing the 3-point woes by shooting more threes. i thought the way to break a shooting slump was to move the ball, attack the rim, and get easy buckets, which builds confidence and the three ball will naturally come back.

i’m probably off base on most of this, blinded by frustration. glad to find this forum and commiserate with fellow c’s fans. sorry for the long first post.

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
new guy here; been a c’s fan since the early 80’s. lurked for a few weeks but thought i’d introduce myself and offer a few random observations on the season so far.

i’d like to see the offense return to running through horford in the high post, which worked well last year. can’t understand why the offense has devolved into drive-and-kick-outs and way too many threes.

i’m noticing a lot of players standing around on offense. as much as i like hayward, he’s been the most guilty of this, but most of the team is also culpable. the c’s are playing too much one-on-one basketball with multiple drives into the lane and kick-outs for a 3-poiner in a single possession, instead of attacking the rim.

brown is an elite athlete but not basketball player. his b’ball IQ seems low and he’s fallen in love with the three point line. i could be wrong but he’s playing lazy, uninspired basketball this year (i guess this could be said of several players).

in spite of his timidity and standing around, i’m not worried about hayward. he just needs time to find his game but the team’s current lack of offensive flow & discipline is hurting his re-acclimation.

rozier isn’t playing team ball and should be traded. he has solid market value now but if he continues to  perform like he has lately, his marketbale trade value will drop.

most championship teams have a marcus smart type player who doesn’t show up in the box score but affects the game by doing the dirty work. i wouldn’t mind seeing him start alongside kyrie a few games to shake things up a bit. i’d also like to see him focus his offensive game around the rim and stay away from the 3-point line.

kyrie is frustrating. he displays remarkable flashes, especially lately, but hasn’t been the consistent floor general, leader, and scorer danny expected for this team.

tatum has hit the sophomore slump, i believe partly due to him believing his own press and the fawning he received from kobe. he’s also forcing too many difficult shots, instead of finding his shots in the natural flow of the offense (which in fairness to him, doesn’t exist at the moment).

with the way the team continues to play, i don’t understand why williams was assigned to maine and isn’t getting more playing time with the c's. move horford to the four, and allow williams to protect the rim, clean up the glass, and get some easy put-backs. seems to me he’d add more value than baynes or theis.

one thing i definitely don’t understand is the approach of curing the 3-point woes by shooting more threes. i thought the way to break a shooting slump was to move the ball, attack the rim, and get easy buckets, which builds confidence and the three ball will naturally come back.

i’m probably off base on most of this, blinded by frustration. glad to find this forum and commiserate with fellow c’s fans. sorry for the long first post.

Welcome to the forum, and great screen name. =) Long posts are welcome (at least in my book).

I share a lot of your feelings on the current state of the Celtics. My view: Boston doesn't have Curry and Thompson, so they shouldn't be chucking 30 or 40 threes a game. They're also letting defenses off the hook by not putting pressure on them to, you know, actually play defense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:40 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
the thing thats most puzzling to me is how the Celtics cant hit the side of a barn on open shots. pretty much everyone is shooting below their career averages. In the first quarter, celtics were missing easy layups.

The question is, how long do we continue to miss easy shots and shoot such a poor percentage?

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 12:41:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
February

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Nov. 21, 2018

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
People who are freaking out need to know this is a long season, it's not a sprint but a marathon

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
People who are freaking out need to know this is a long season, it's not a sprint but a marathon

True, but it's not a casual walk or walking on a treadmill either.

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Pretty much summed it up. Makes a Rozier/Brown/pick package look very available.

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

True, but it's not a casual walk or walking on a treadmill either.

Even the most optimistic fans can't possibly be happy right now. The expectations were that we were going to roll through the EC this season and provide a decent match-up for GSW. I know a team like Cleveland last year pulled themselves out of their slump, but not only were there wholesale changes mid-season, they also had one of the best players to ever play the game. Horford and Hayward aren't making anybody shake in their boots.

So far we are 0-3 on the post-Raptors game schedule. This was supposed to be our easiest stretch and where many people predicted a long winning streak. While this is still possible, attitudes (and abilities) need to change quickly.

If this were 2014, it would be one thing, but we were the EC favorites. It's okay to be upset!

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2018, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Okay, I'm there. Of course, I had the misfortune of actually being at the Knicks game the other night, which makes it feel that much worse.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's an 82 game season guys.

I'm not panicking.

But I hope Danny is thinking really hard what moves he could make to stir the drink, because right now it's like a bad milkshake.

Too kludgy, expensive, and unsatisfying.