Author Topic: Terrance Clarke - Boston's greatest NBA Prospect?  (Read 27197 times)

Terrance Clarke - Boston's greatest NBA Prospect?
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:11:47 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
https://youtu.be/h3OW8FS91sQ

Terrance Clarke:

Born: 9/6/01

Height: 6'7"

Wingspan: 6'10"

Position: SG/SF

Clarke is a big scoring guard with elite talent. He's got a legit NBA frame already, with plus
athleticism and length - and he's probably still growing.

At this stage of his career he flashes a level of talent that makes you think of Kobe and D Wade and other all time greats.

Clarke might re-class to join the 2020 recruiting class, making him eligible for the 2021 NBA Draft, thus fingers crossed for that 2021 Memphis pick.

Re: Terrance Clarke - Boston's greatest NBA Prospect?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:14:06 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Right now it's too early to speculate because the Memphis pick might convey in 2020.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 04:18:48 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Terrance Clarke is a perfect example of why Jaylen Brown is not as valuable as some Celtic fans think.

Every year there's always an elite 6-6 or 6-7 guard entering the draft.

If Jaylen Brown proves me wrong this coming season, I'll gladly admit that I was wrong about Brown.
But if Brown just puts up 14 to 16 points per game, I don't think he's worth keeping long term.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 05:19:55 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Terrance Clarke is a perfect example of why Jaylen Brown is not as valuable as some Celtic fans think.

If Jaylen Brown proves me wrong this coming season, I'll gladly admit that I was wrong about Brown.
But if Brown just puts up 14 to 16 points per game, I don't think he's worth keeping long term.

You are underselling what Brown provides on the court. Basketball is just more than stats. It's the same reason why people value Smart so much despite his poor shooting.

Even Bill Russell only averaged 15 PPG in his entire NBA career.

We only have so much lottery pick to replace Brown. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We wouldn't get Brown or Tatum without lottery picks in the first place. And there's no guarantee that MEM pick will hit lottery.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:31:51 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

You are underselling what Brown provides on the court. Basketball is just more than stats. It's the same reason why people value Smart so much despite his poor shooting.

We only have so much lottery pick to replace Brown. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We wouldn't get Brown or Tatum without lottery picks in the first place. And there's no guarantee that MEM pick will hit lottery.

I'm not underselling Brown.

Brown and Rozier had their chance to prove that they have All-Star potential in Game 7 against the Cavs in 2018.

But what did Brown and Rozier do in that Game 7 against Lebron?

Both Brown and Rozier failed to rise to the occasion.

Last season Smart was injured for most of the playoffs.
Brown played poorly against the Pacers and played well against the Bucks.
I just don't see Brown becoming a superstar in the NBA.
Maybe a very good role player, but not a star player.

That's why I'm not sold on Brown for the long term.

But Jaylen Brown will have his chance to prove me wrong this coming season.

If Brown plays well and the Celts keep winning games then I'll gladly admit I was wrong about Brown.

Until that happens, I still believe the Celts are better off having a guy like Bradley Beal at SG.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 05:39:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Brown and Rozier had their chance to prove that they have All-Star potential in Game 7 against the Cavs in 2018.

If Brown plays well and the Celts keep winning games then I'll gladly admit I was wrong about Brown.

Until that happens, I still believe the Celts are better off having a guy like Bradley Beal at SG.
1. Search their stat lines in game 6 when they were the only ones who showed up to nip the series in the bud.
2. He played reasonably well in that Bucks series. Sure he laid an egg in the first two games when it came to scoring, but his defense on Bogdanovic was fantastic, and he scored well to close out the series in games 3 and 4.
Your assessment of him being a very good role player is reasonable though, although I see him already at that level with much more room for growth. We'll see when the season starts.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 06:09:23 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

1. Search their stat lines in game 6 when they were the only ones who showed up to nip the series in the bud.
2. He played reasonably well in that Bucks series. Sure he laid an egg in the first two games when it came to scoring, but his defense on Bogdanovic was fantastic, and he scored well to close out the series in games 3 and 4.
Your assessment of him being a very good role player is reasonable though, although I see him already at that level with much more room for growth. We'll see when the season starts.

Agree.

If Brown's scoring increases now that Kyrie's gone, I don't think there's a need to trade him and Smart.

I just need to see Brown raising his level of play.

If Tatum is part of the 12-man roster of Team USA and Brown is not, that proves that Tatum is better than Brown at this point in time.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Would rather Jalen Green
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 06:19:44 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Would rather Jalen Green

Wow!

Another elite 6-5 SG.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 06:27:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Would rather Jalen Green

Wow!

Another elite 6-5 SG.
I get your point about athletic 6'5-6'7 wings being very commonplace, but I think you might be selling Brown a bit short because of his already good defence, which can certainly become great defence. Many of the All-Star guard-wings in this league who came in as defence-first prospects with rough offensive games took a long time to develop (Kawhi, Butler, Oladipo come to mind), so I think Boston is definitely willing to wait.

We'll see his value when we see what his next contract is though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 07:58:24 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Agree.

If Brown's scoring increases now that Kyrie's gone, I don't think there's a need to trade him and Smart.

I just need to see Brown raising his level of play.

If Tatum is part of the 12-man roster of Team USA and Brown is not, that proves that Tatum is better than Brown at this point in time.

Geez, your dislike of Jaylen is more than apparent. There's no need to be concerned over which one is better when they can just hold on to both. Hayward is the guy who needs to prove he is worth keeping if anyone.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Would rather Jalen Green

Wow!

Another elite 6-5 SG.

You do realize that Jaylen Brown was once that elite high school prospect, right? If you're down on Brown now, you'll be down on 90% of those elite prospects once they spend a few years in the nba.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Huh.  I'm not sure I understand your argument.

If there's one per year, then the odds of acquiring one are pretty slim, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He reminds me a bit of Shai GA in college, but more skilled/polished offensively and not as tough defensively.  He looks like he has an NBA future, possibly a very high level one, and seems to have the right kind of humble-ish demeanor to enable him to grow.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Would rather Jalen Green

Wow!

Another elite 6-5 SG.

Give us a list of the players in the NBA that are elite shooting guards.

I think you will find its a pretty short list.