Author Topic: What was Rivers thinking.  (Read 6657 times)

Re: What was Rivers thinking.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Wade was Superman today.  A lot of his 3's were defended well.  Not much you can do against a guy like that when he gets it going.  He's one of the best at splitting double teams, so it may not have helped much anyway.

I wonder if he'll stay in Miami or go to a team like Chicago.  Just so long as he and LBJ don't end up together in NYC, I'll be content.
There may not be enough basketballs for both of them, but could you imagine trying to guard that team?

Dang you moiso I was about to say that lol.
Don't you love it when your "[dang]" turns into "dang"?

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
Just chill. Relax. Calm down. We got this.

Quote if you agree.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This really has nothing to do with Doc...At all. Wade simply played better offense than us, and it wasn't even better offense because his shot selection was pretty poor...However, he made his shots, and there really isnt anything any defender could have done to stop him.

Rather than blame our coach for something he couldnt have prevented, why not just applaud Wade for a tremendous performance, move on, and win game 5.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Wade was Superman today. But that's ok because the Celtics will be his kryptonite in the next game. And they happen to be green too.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Wade was Superman today. But that's ok because the Celtics will be his kryptonite in the next game. And they happen to be green too.
Will KryptoNate work against this Superman too?  He worked against Howard in the dunk contest.  Doubt it!

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Ive seen Wade before will his team like this aganist the cavs,fakers,and any other top teams.Thats expected at least once in any series Wade plays in...was wondering what took him so long.Now he has had his big game in this series.Now its time to turn out the lights on the Heat.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Only the most relentlessly optimistic among us expected to sweep Miami coming in.

It is, however, daunting to have seen the total lack of focus and effort this team opened the game with today - very similar to some of the dead efforts this club rolled out post-December.

Meanwhile, Cleveland looks very good today.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Why was TA on the bench more often.....foul trouble, or did doc forgat who covered wade best.......it was TA...all the way, along with scoring, dunking, and slashing....the TA and Ray out there worked well, should have put in sheldon for BBD or sheed also.....IF you want hustle and rebounds......

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Only the most relentlessly optimistic among us expected to sweep Miami coming in.

It is, however, daunting to have seen the total lack of focus and effort this team opened the game with today - very similar to some of the dead efforts this club rolled out post-December.

Good points. We lost this one in the first quarter, not the fourth.

Honestly, I thought the D on Wade in the fourth was actually pretty good. I mean - we can live with him shooting threes. Most games he won't hit them at that crazy kinda rate. And we'll win. For Miami, this was a perfect storm in the fourth. Bad free throw shooting for the Celtics, Wade shooting the lights out, Rondo missing a layup. It won't happen again.

But Cleveland is going to be a serious handful.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Honestly, I thought the D on Wade in the fourth was actually pretty good. I mean - we can live with him shooting threes. Most games he won't hit them at that crazy kinda rate. And we'll win. For Miami, this was a perfect storm in the fourth. Bad free throw shooting for the Celtics, Wade shooting the lights out, Rondo missing a layup. It won't happen again.

We did not lose this in the first. We lost when Wade started burying pull up 3's of the dribble, as you mention.

I don't think effort was a problem in the beginning. Q Rich shooting the lights out was the problem,combined with the bigger problem of bad passes. 9 TOs in the first quarter is not a sign of a lack of effort. It is poor decision making and good defense by the opponent. Sometimes bad passes are actually a sign of trying too hard.

The only person I would say showed a lack of effort was J ONeal. Our problems were TOs turning into transition plays for the Heat.

If it was a lack of focus, what were they failing to focus on? What indicates a lack of effort? These seem to me to be sports cliches that people just automatically attribute to teams that are performing poorly.

I completely agree with the opinion above about Wade shooting 3's. That is not his game. He isn't good enough from 3 to do that for 4 games straight. He looked rather mediocre from 3 in other games.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

We did not lose this in the first. We lost when Wade started burying pull up 3's of the dribble, as you mention.

I don't think effort was a problem in the beginning. Q Rich shooting the lights out was the problem,combined with the bigger problem of bad passes. 9 TOs in the first quarter is not a sign of a lack of effort. It is poor decision making and good defense by the opponent. Sometimes bad passes are actually a sign of trying too hard.

The only person I would say showed a lack of effort was J ONeal. Our problems were TOs turning into transition plays for the Heat.

If it was a lack of focus, what were they failing to focus on? What indicates a lack of effort? These seem to me to be sports cliches that people just automatically attribute to teams that are performing poorly.

I completely agree with the opinion above about Wade shooting 3's. That is not his game. He isn't good enough from 3 to do that for 4 games straight. He looked rather mediocre from 3 in other games.

I don't know. I see your point on the fourth quarter but we spotted them 13 points in the first and gave them life for the whole game as a result. Whether that's effort, focus, or execution... I'd have to rewatch the tape to make that call. But regardless, if that first quarter doesn't happen, I think Miami slinks off into the night long before Wade's heroics.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Seriously. did rivers think Wade wasn't going to out firing. After the first two 3's of the 4th you have to send instant double teams. I know theguy hit some amazing shots, but rivers you have to realize the guy wasn't going down that easily. I wanted this team swept. No need for extra games. Great players can't be allowed extra opportunities. I think Wade is spent and this game for Miami was about Pride, but like i said we should've finished them off today.
Even if you double team someone, if they are determined to shoot, someone sets a pick, and they jump high enough on the shot, they start the offense with a quick 3, and if they try to get clear on every possession, they can get a bunch of shots off.

I remember one 3 where Wade was double teamed and TA was contesting the shot. This is why the playoffs aren't single elimination. A hot shooter can win a game against a better team if he keeps shooting and hits tough shots, even if the better team plays well.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
Seriously. did rivers think Wade wasn't going to out firing. After the first two 3's of the 4th you have to send instant double teams. I know theguy hit some amazing shots, but rivers you have to realize the guy wasn't going down that easily. I wanted this team swept. No need for extra games. Great players can't be allowed extra opportunities. I think Wade is spent and this game for Miami was about Pride, but like i said we should've finished them off today.
Even if you double team someone, if they are determined to shoot, someone sets a pick, and they jump high enough on the shot, they start the offense with a quick 3, and if they try to get clear on every possession, they can get a bunch of shots off.

I remember one 3 where Wade was double teamed and TA was contesting the shot. This is why the playoffs aren't single elimination. A hot shooter can win a game against a better team if he keeps shooting and hits tough shots, even if the better team plays well.

Also, Doc seemed frustrated that we didn't get up on Wade even more than we did. I don't think this is bad coaching or bad defense. It's just one of the top 5 players in the game doing his thing.

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Could not disagree with you more strongly. The ball movement wasn't there. The defensive rotations weren't there. And once Doc went to the bench in the first, the effort went from bad to nonexistent, especially with Wallace.

We did absolutely nothing well in the first period on either end of the floor, which shows a decided lack of focus. And we didn't close out on anyone in the first period - terrible, terrible defense, very reminiscent of the regular season. That returned in a couple of shorter sequences in the second half that were equally destructive.

And no, it is not inevitable in the association that any offense can get any shot it wants against any defense. Good defensive teams - championship teams - get over screens, they close out and they suffocate the other team, as the 2008 Celtics did repeatedly.

Championship defensive teams dictate the pace of the game and the quality of the shot to the offense with effort and intelligence - which we've done in this series. We didn't do enough of it today to win a game - against basically anyone.

We spent much of the game running uphill from the total lack of focus and effort with which the game was started - and we're going to lose each and every playoff game from this point that we approach similarly.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
Also - 9 turnovers in the first 9 minutes of the first quarter.