Author Topic: Is Rozier Better Than We Think He Is?  (Read 4026 times)

Re: Is Rozier Better Than We Think He Is?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I thought he was better than Smart all-around by the end of last season and has plenty of athleticism to improve. He has starter quality in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
He is becoming what we all envisioned how AB would be...A combo 1/2.

AB is better defensively but I firmly believe TRo has way better diverse offensively and way better ballhandling and can create for himself.

True, but its all about roles. AB has a more limited game, but what he does, he does very well. On a championship level team, a versatile scorer who is a little inefficient might not help that much.

Rozier has been pretty inefficient most of his career, and poked his head above water at the end of last year. If he gets better than he was at the end of last year, he can be a very, very valuable guy. There's lots of guys who don't get any better than this. He might.

Re: Is Rozier Better than We Think He Is?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He's a weird stat profile. After Irving went down last year he averaged roughly 15ppg, 5 asts, 6 REB's, and 1.6 TO's.

To put that in context, he had a 9.6 TOV% over that timespan. The only other players who had 15 pts, 6 boards, 5 assists over last season were Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Nikola Jokic, LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, DeMarcus Cousins, and Ben Simmons.

Terry's 9.6 TOV% would easily rate as the most efficient among those players.

Last year I was really impressed by how well Rozier handled the pressure of the playoffs.  That was mainly shown in his ability to limit turnovers and get us more opportunities to score.  I think looking back I probably wasn't as impressed as I should have been. 

If he can really limit his turnovers / bad decisions like in last years playoffs we may see more minutes for Terry than we expect.  Maybe not starting, but coming in to play more with KI in the ballgame.  Rozier's development is one story line that might be a bit overshadowed by Jaylen and Jason and GH coming back.  I think everyone just assumes that Terry is going to be a cap casualty but who knows.  Depends on how well Rozier develops. 

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yes. Absolutely. Not better than I think he is though. Rozier will absolutely be better than Kyrie in Four years. He's was close to being as good as Irving right now than many here believe.
Yeah, no. All of this is incorrect
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Is Rozier Better than We Think He Is?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 07:25:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He's a weird stat profile. After Irving went down last year he averaged roughly 15ppg, 5 asts, 6 REB's, and 1.6 TO's.

To put that in context, he had a 9.6 TOV% over that timespan. The only other players who had 15 pts, 6 boards, 5 assists over last season were Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Nikola Jokic, LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, DeMarcus Cousins, and Ben Simmons.

Terry's 9.6 TOV% would easily rate as the most efficient among those players.

Last year I was really impressed by how well Rozier handled the pressure of the playoffs.  That was mainly shown in his ability to limit turnovers and get us more opportunities to score.  I think looking back I probably wasn't as impressed as I should have been. 

If he can really limit his turnovers / bad decisions like in last years playoffs we may see more minutes for Terry than we expect.  Maybe not starting, but coming in to play more with KI in the ballgame.  Rozier's development is one story line that might be a bit overshadowed by Jaylen and Jason and GH coming back.  I think everyone just assumes that Terry is going to be a cap casualty but who knows.  Depends on how well Rozier develops.
Reminds me a bit of Ben Gordon’s role on those Bulls teams, came off the bench but played 25-30mpg.  Not comparing the two though, Rozier is a better overall player than Gordon was.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:10:01 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 01:25:05 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think he’s exactly as I good as I think he is, but that’s just what I think.

I think

Tp. Precisely what I thought. I think.

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 01:26:36 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Yes. Absolutely. Not better than I think he is though. Rozier will absolutely be better than Kyrie in Four years. He's was close to being as good as Irving right now than many here believe.

so you think Kyrie Irving the guy that's already missed about 25% of all of his NBA games in 4 years at 30 years old with his hobble knees and her key jerk style will be better than 28 year old Rosa I don't think so

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 01:38:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

so you think Kyrie Irving the guy that's already missed about 25% of all of his NBA games in 4 years at 30 years old with his hobble knees and her key jerk style will be better than 28 year old Rosa I don't think so
Herky jerk is not how Kyrie plays, and yes, I do think so.

The same way that 30 year old Tony Parker was better than 28 year old Jeff Teague.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Rozier has a long way to go before he can catch Kyrie...

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

so you think Kyrie Irving the guy that's already missed about 25% of all of his NBA games in 4 years at 30 years old

Obviously a point of concern.

with his hobble knees

I think he looks good right now.

and her key jerk style

Not sure what your point is - do you mean that the way he plays strains his knees?  It's true that he's changing direction with the ball constantly.

will be better than 28 year old Rosa I don't think so

I love Terry - he plays big when it counts (yeah, Game 7 blah blah). He's a better defender than Irving. Kyrie is great at taking care of the ball, but Rozier is another level better. Terry doesn't create shots anywhere close to Irving, either for himself or especially for teammates. and Kyrie is an amazing shotmaker, one of the few in the league who ought to be taking long midrange jumpers.

Neither gets to the line a lot.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Please don't hijack this thread into another "Rozier-is-better-than-Irving" or "If-Irving-wants-the-max-he-is-gone" thread. There are plenty of those.

This thread is to talk about Rozier's possible upside, and about how we should stop presuming on a mid-tier ceiling.

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 11:47:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Please don't hijack this thread into another "Rozier-is-better-than-Irving" or "If-Irving-wants-the-max-he-is-gone" thread. There are plenty of those.

This thread is to talk about Rozier's possible upside, and about how we should stop presuming on a mid-tier ceiling.
You can't just dictate what people want to talk about.  And it is absolutely reasonable to still claim Rozier has a mid-tier ceiling or if he doesn't what his salary might be next summer and if Boston should pay that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Terry's a potential All-Star if he plays like he did for most of the playoffs. He's legit that good when he plays within himself. Ask Eric Bledsoe.

That said, it probably would be for another team. I'm not doing the "Kyrie vs Terry" thing but I am glad he's here as an RFA in Kyrie's contract year. It's as good of a Plan B as a team can have for that kind of uncertain scenario.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Rozier has a lot of potential and I wouldn't be surprised if he made an all star team some day in the future. I also wouldn't be surprised if he left next summer and was never a full time starter on a decent team.

You never want a player to turn the ball over but I think Terry's very low TO's for a PG are indicative of what I see with my eyes which is that Terry is a capable playmaker in Brad's system but is not someone with the vision or skill to run a team himself without a very strong coach.

Which is to say, I think it's possible Terry is a system player. An amazing athlete and owes a lot of his success from late last season to the system he's in. As a scorer? He averaged around 15 ppg on around 39% shooting without Kyrie.

He has potential but some people talk about him like he was playing at nearly an all star level late last season and that just isn't so.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

You can't just dictate what people want to talk about.  And it is absolutely reasonable to still claim Rozier has a mid-tier ceiling or if he doesn't what his salary might be next summer and if Boston should pay that.
I’m not dictating anything. There are multiple other active threads about Irving vs Rozier.  I started this one to be about Rozier’s upside.

It may be reasonable to say that about Rozier, but if you read the op, you know I’m saying he might be more. That’s the discussion.