Author Topic: 19% from the three point line  (Read 4394 times)

Re: 19% from the three point line
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Marcus being out there today, I thought this thread had life.

But no, he went 1/2 and sucked all the air out of it.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Having Hayward in the lineup is going to cover up a lot of weaknesses - 3 pt shooting percentage among them. I'm not concerned.  Horford btw was 43% from 3pt range last season - never realized that.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 03:45:21 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Having Hayward in the lineup is going to cover up a lot of weaknesses - 3 pt shooting percentage among them. I'm not concerned.  Horford btw was 43% from 3pt range last season - never realized that.

without hayward last season, what was our 3pt% ranking? Yeah, there isn't much higher we will be going.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 04:30:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

without hayward last season, what was our 3pt% ranking? Yeah, there isn't much higher we will be going.
We can be #1 of course! ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

We can be #1 of course! ;)

We were very high in 3-pt %age. What made us an only average offensive team was our poor shooting at the rim. Kyrie, of course, was just fine but that was the extent of it. Hopefully Hayward helps with that too. And another couple points higher in 3-pt shooting (#1!) would help too.

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Too much 3P shooting and not enough ball distribution--both halfs.

You shoot so many 3s at 20%, you lose.

The Hornets also shot too many 3s in the first half I saw. But they had a higher shooting percentage.

All in all, it's a pretty boring game when somebody takes the ball down, passes to somebody outside who bombs a 3. Then the other team reciprocates. And it keeps going like this.

You would think Stevens learned his lesson from that game 7 finals disaster.

This is very true. I have league pass so i'm paying close attention to the style of play of all the teams. The Celtics run a very predictable and boring offense. Dribble hand offs and threes all game long. Only Kyrie, Tatum and Morris deviate from this. I'm not really concerned about the percentages that they are shooting. I'm moreso concerned about this style of offense putting me to sleep. Statistics and analytics are making these games near unwatchable.

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

How was it with the season on the line vs Cleveland?

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Are you saying that one game in the playoffs is a better representation of the team's shooting than the entire regular season?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Are you saying that one game in the playoffs is a better representation of the team's shooting than the entire regular season?

In fairness, this is a big improvement over the OP, who was extrapolating from the first game of the preseason.

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Too much 3P shooting and not enough ball distribution--both halfs.

You shoot so many 3s at 20%, you lose.

The Hornets also shot too many 3s in the first half I saw. But they had a higher shooting percentage.

All in all, it's a pretty boring game when somebody takes the ball down, passes to somebody outside who bombs a 3. Then the other team reciprocates. And it keeps going like this.

You would think Stevens learned his lesson from that game 7 finals disaster.

This is very true. I have league pass so i'm paying close attention to the style of play of all the teams. The Celtics run a very predictable and boring offense. Dribble hand offs and threes all game long. Only Kyrie, Tatum and Morris deviate from this. I'm not really concerned about the percentages that they are shooting. I'm moreso concerned about this style of offense putting me to sleep. Statistics and analytics are making these games near unwatchable.

Makes be long for the beautiful ball movement of the 1980s Celtics!

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Our 3 point problem really boils down to Smart and Semi.

I am beginning to think neither of them should be shooting 3s.

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

This appears to be a league-wide problem. Every team is launching 3's with no regard for human life. This is a result of fantasy sports and the emphasis on analytics and statistics. The 3 point line needs to be moved back yesterday.

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Beginning to think this? ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Beginning to think this? ;D

In the Cleveland game the team shot only 16% and Marcus pulled the average up by hitting 2 of 6. Adding in the Charlotte game (1-2), Smart is connecting on 37.5% of his 3s for the (pre)season. The only possible conclusion is:

WE NEED MORE MARCUS SMART 3S!!!

:o ;D 8)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:42:38 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

The playoffs in general are a better representation of a teams' true quality than the regular season.  The Celtics under Brad have proven that multiple times. 3 pt shooting being a big part of their offense - yes.