Author Topic: On how many teams would Marcus Morris be a starter on?  (Read 4010 times)

Re: On how many teams would Marcus Morris be a starter on?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This bench stuff is getting overblown.  Frankly, guys like Morris, smart, and even rozier would be flawed starters for the long term on any team.

While I think our bench will be good, and get after it defensively, we have three guys (mentioned above) that have questionable shot selection.  So let’s see what happens but our starters will be the meal ticket, not the bench.

Please explain your rationale on why Rozier would be a flawed starter long term for any team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
This bench stuff is getting overblown.  Frankly, guys like Morris, smart, and even rozier would be flawed starters for the long term on any team.

While I think our bench will be good, and get after it defensively, we have three guys (mentioned above) that have questionable shot selection.  So let’s see what happens but our starters will be the meal ticket, not the bench.

Please explain your rationale on why Rozier would be a flawed starter long term for any team.
Rozier is a slightly better defensive, but much worse offensive version of Irving.  He isn't a good passer, is wildly inconsistent shooting the ball, and is a very poor 2PT shooter.  He is fine starting in spurts, but he is not a guy that should be starting long term on a good team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't think Morris starts in Cleveland, Charlotte, Houston, Memphis, OKC, Portland, or Orlando.  Maybe Brooklyn, Detroit, and Chicago.  So Sacramento is the only place I think he clearly starts.

He clearly starts in New Orleans as well
If it is Hill yes, but I could absolutely see the Pelicans try to go big with Davis, Randle, and Mirotic all starting.

I don't think they'd consider that if Morris was on the team.  They would be absolutely killed by SFs and most switches if they did that, and Mirotic isn't really the type of player to punish having a smaller guy (smaller as in SF, not a guard) cover him to make up for it.  An actual SF like Morris (or Hill, for that matter) would be a much wiser choice, but it's the Pelicans so who knows
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

All of them.

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't think Morris starts in Cleveland, Charlotte, Houston, Memphis, OKC, Portland, or Orlando.  Maybe Brooklyn, Detroit, and Chicago.  So Sacramento is the only place I think he clearly starts.
You drastically underestimate Morris. Not really surprising though, but he has multiple seasons of 14/5 as a starter on a dysfunctional Detroit team with an offence that didn’t help his game
right a dysfunctional team in which his competition for starting was the first two seasons of Stanley Johnson and Jon Leuer one year and Anthony Tolliver the other.  Aron Baynes was also on the bench for both those teams, the same Baynes that started over Morris last year in Boston. 

Morris started only because he had no real competition for minutes.  That is why he would only start on teams that have no real competition for wing minutes.  Morris is a bench player, plain and simple.
That doesn’t say anything, lol. You can only start over who is around you.

He certainly starts over Korver / Osman, MKG, PJ Tucker, Kyle Anderson, Jerami Grant, and Moe Harkless/Evan Turner. Maybe not Isaac, because the trio of Isaac/Gordon/Bamba is special defensively
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
You drastically underestimate Morris. Not really surprising though, but he has multiple seasons of 14/5 as a starter on a dysfunctional Detroit team with an offence that didn’t help his game
right a dysfunctional team in which his competition for starting was the first two seasons of Stanley Johnson and Jon Leuer one year and Anthony Tolliver the other.  Aron Baynes was also on the bench for both those teams, the same Baynes that started over Morris last year in Boston. 

Morris started only because he had no real competition for minutes.  That is why he would only start on teams that have no real competition for wing minutes.  Morris is a bench player, plain and simple.

He certainly starts over Korver / Osman, MKG, PJ Tucker, Kyle Anderson, Jerami Grant, and Moe Harkless/Evan Turner. Maybe not Isaac, because the trio of Isaac/Gordon/Bamba is special defensively
He won't start over Hood in Cleveland.  Not even a contest.  Hood is much better than he is.  He absolutely wouldn't start over MKG, Charlotte loves what he brings defensively.  Maybe Anderson in Memphis, but they seemingly like him and want to get him the minutes and experience.  Grant is a much better fit in that OKC lineup than Morris is.  Harkless is a much better shooter and thus he probably still starts next to Lillard and McCollum especially with Aminu being able to take the tougher defensive assignment.

Morris is a very nice bench player, but his elevation on this blog is astonishing.  He is incredibly inconsistent and while he does a lot of things at at least an average level, he doesn't have an elite skill.  Most teams want someone who has an elite skill as the 5th best starter type player.  Those players are far more valuable in the starting lineup while someone who is more balanced, makes a lot more sense on the bench. 

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 11:34:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He won't start over Hood in Cleveland.  Not even a contest.  Hood is much better than he is.  He absolutely wouldn't start over MKG, Charlotte loves what he brings defensively.  Maybe Anderson in Memphis, but they seemingly like him and want to get him the minutes and experience.  Grant is a much better fit in that OKC lineup than Morris is.  Harkless is a much better shooter and thus he probably still starts next to Lillard and McCollum especially with Aminu being able to take the tougher defensive assignment.

Morris is a very nice bench player, but his elevation on this blog is astonishing.  He is incredibly inconsistent and while he does a lot of things at at least an average level, he doesn't have an elite skill.  Most teams want someone who has an elite skill as the 5th best starter type player.  Those players are far more valuable in the starting lineup while someone who is more balanced, makes a lot more sense on the bench.

I think he would given how Hood performed for the Cavs. He’s a better defender than Hood and in Charlotte he can give them more of an offensive punch. This blog is elevating Morris and Roizier for a good reason, they stepped up when the best players were hurt and deserve recognition.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 07:23:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He wouldn't start over PJ Tucker.  D'Antoni loves him and his style is much better for the Rockets.  Actually Morris and Anthony would be horrible to even have on the same roster regardless of who starts.
And as Moranis said, Memphis is investing a lot in Anderson and the starting job is his to lose.

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think he would given how Hood performed for the Cavs. He’s a better defender than Hood and in Charlotte he can give them more of an offensive punch. This blog is elevating Morris and Roizier for a good reason, they stepped up when the best players were hurt and deserve recognition.
Hood is much better than Morris.  It isn't close.  Hood was a late season addition and went to a team with Lebron James playing his position.  Hard to find a role with that little time and in that scenario, especially when your coach is Ty Lue.  James isn't there now and Hood will clearly be the Cavs starting SF.  He will likely be the Cavs 2nd offensive option behind Love this year.  I think people forget that Hood was averaging 18 a game for the Jazz before that trade.  He is a very good player.  Lue's inability to properly utilize him, isn't Hood's fault. 

He won't start ahead of MKG.  He is a worse defender and doesn't provide near the "offensive punch" you are making it out to be.  His career 1.15 points per shot is pretty darn bad (he was only 1.2 last year for Boston).  As a comparison, MKG for his career is at 1.21 points per shot (he was at his career average last year). 

Morris is a very nice bench player, but that is what he is.  He isn't some hidden gem starter that only isn't starting because Boston has so much depth.  I mean if he was as good as the people in this thread would have you believe, he would have been starting last year instead of Baynes, but he wasn't, and he wasn't for a reason.  In case you were wondering, the reason is quite simply he isn't that good.

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Morris sucks.

He just throws up shots until something goes in, and he disappeared against Cleveland in the playoffs.

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Morris sucks.

He just throws up shots until something goes in, and he disappeared against Cleveland in the playoffs.

Nope- he doesn't suck. He's just not Lebron James.

I think Morris could prob start on a handful of non-playoff teams. I think he's valuable as a big man coming off the bench to score 10 pts when Horford, Tatum, etc. are riding the pine.

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Morris sucks.

Yeah, that explains why his efficiency is so bad! .... wait, it isn’t ::) I guess one bad series is enough to determine the worth of a player after all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 11:08:18 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Morris sucks.

Yeah, that explains why his efficiency is so bad! .... wait, it isn’t ::) I guess one bad series is enough to determine the worth of a player after all

Sorry, I never have liked his game.....come in, fire up a bunch of shots and a few go in....

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Morris sucks.

Sorry, I never have liked his game.....come in, fire up a bunch of shots and a few go in....

You do realize that he's probably our 8th or 9th best player.

How many teams have a better player in the 8/9 slot?

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
He could start on some bottom feeder teams, but I think that he's established himself as a replacement-level starter and solid (if not slightly above average) offensive-oriented backup with the occasional favorable defensive matchup.