Author Topic: 2016 Celtics Redraft  (Read 1234 times)

2016 Celtics Redraft
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Disclaimer Danny is the man that should never be questioned with that said let's second-guess his 2016 draft picks. we had five picks in the top 35 that year number 3 number 16 number 23 number 31 and number 35.

Jaylen #3
Yabusele #16
Zizic#23

With the benefit of hindsight he is who I probably would have selected with the top five picks but I'd like somebody to go back to 2016 and see how many available roster spots we had TP if you do that work. This is strictly best player available with no regard for the actual roster.

Jaylen #3
Caris Levert #16 Boom or bust
Dejounte Murray #23
Tyler Ulis #31
Malcolm Brogdon #35

Here is the inside information I have about the Celtics thought process in this draft. They supposedly really loved Malcolm Brogdon, but they felt it would definitely take minutes away from Jaylen Brown and stunt his development, which is true and look how great Jalen's turning out however this draft would have certainly given us more guard depth.

Re: 2016 Celtics Redraft
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, there is a good chance one or two of the players you would have drafted would have gone to Cleveland in the Kyrie deal. Also, the Celtics needed to stash two players because of lack of roster spots, so I don't see them taking players that would have come on the team right away. I mean, I hated the Yabu pick but Ainge took a chance on a freak athlete that needed to stay overseas that first year, so I guess Yabu was acceptable.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Well, there is a good chance one or two of the players you would have drafted would have gone to Cleveland in the Kyrie deal. Also, the Celtics needed to stash two players because of lack of roster spots, so I don't see them taking players that would have come on the team right away. I mean, I hated the Yabu pick but Ainge took a chance on a freak athlete that needed to stay overseas that first year, so I guess Yabu was acceptable.

What could we have done then with extra players? I think we had 12 guaranteed contracts.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Getting that protected Clippers pick for Pick #31 and 35 in that draft is looking like a really savvy move given the reality of the roster crunch we had at the time combined with the lack of any true difference maker players to be picked in that general range.  It's very possible we traded #31 and #35 for pick #15 - 20 in the '19 or '20 draft.

I'd do that deal again in a heartbeat.