Author Topic: Celtics have a chance to be the greatest team ever  (Read 5449 times)

Re: Celtics have a chance to be the greatest team ever
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Should we start the championship parade on Boylston St or Causeway St?

Also, should we go for the sweep in the Finals or purposely lose one so we can win it all at home?

;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Hyperbolic optimism from fans >>>>> hyperbolic pessimism.  If that's my hill to die on then so be it. This stuff is supposed to be fun, and I'm glad enthusiasm is so high, and thrilled that the team I root for is so good that people can make this sort of extreme prediction.

love it! if you're not crowning them as a fan then you're pessimistic... ::) 

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 11:53:57 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
I think some fans are getting ahead of themselves. WAY ahead of themselves.

Be excited for this season. I'M excited for this season. But nothing is a given in sports. And these guys have to get through a whole season without any major injuries, which is a tall task in itself.
This...enjoy the process.  A lot of things have to go right to win a title and you need some luck, especially with injuries.  Maybe they get there, maybe they don't but look forward to great basketball and some classic games hopefully. 

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 12:51:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hyperbolic optimism from fans >>>>> hyperbolic pessimism.  If that's my hill to die on then so be it. This stuff is supposed to be fun, and I'm glad enthusiasm is so high, and thrilled that the team I root for is so good that people can make this sort of extreme prediction.

How on Earth did you read that this way?  Unrealistic optimism is saying greatest team ever. Unrealistic pessimism would be like "we're complacent and overrated and our guys won't get along, we'll be 4th and lose in the first round".  We have a lot more of the first one right now, we've had a lot more of the second one in the past, and I'm just saying I greatly prefer the optimism.

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Be excited for this season. I'M excited for this season. But nothing is a given in sports. And these guys have to get through a whole season without any major injuries, which is a tall task in itself.
La la la la la la la la la la la la ... i’m not listening!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

La la la la la la la la la la la la ... i’m not listening!
Nonsense, there is no such thing as injuries :)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

How on Earth did you read that this way?  Unrealistic optimism is saying greatest team ever. Unrealistic pessimism would be like "we're complacent and overrated and our guys won't get along, we'll be 4th and lose in the first round".  We have a lot more of the first one right now, we've had a lot more of the second one in the past, and I'm just saying I greatly prefer the optimism.

great! so we agree with my original point that C's fans tend to blow things out of proportion.

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Not C's fan... Every fan. At least realise it though and try to keep it under control

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The Celtics already are the best team (‘86), dynasty (Russell) and franchise (17 rings) ever.
This was a team that blew people out of the water any time they wanted, lost one game at home and basically just had the refs roll a ball out the rest of the season and watch the other team soil themselves. They admitted that if they really wanted to they would've won over 70 games. That was one team I'll never forget. They toyed with teams and turned it on if/when needed.
Parish, Bird, McHale, DJ, Ainge, Walton, Sichting, Wedman...you can't make this sh!t up. Let's not forget there were some tough teams in their conference (Philly, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Detroit were all good) that year as well.

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
The Celtics already are the best team (‘86), dynasty (Russell) and franchise (17 rings) ever.
This was a team that blew people out of the water any time they wanted, lost one game at home and basically just had the refs roll a ball out the rest of the season and watch the other team soil themselves. They admitted that if they really wanted to they would've won over 70 games. That was one team I'll never forget. They toyed with teams and turned it on if/when needed.
Parish, Bird, McHale, DJ, Ainge, Walton, Sichting, Wedman...you can't make this sh!t up. Let's not forget there were some tough teams in their conference (Philly, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Detroit were all good) that year as well.

Okay, if we win this year we are the second greatest team ever.

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

What an absolutely great era of basketball.

We could be heading toward another.  I (for one) hope that LAL isn't part of it.   I don't care about the rivalry, I want no part of Lakers threatening to take the most championships throne.

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2018, 06:33:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What an absolutely great era of basketball.

We could be heading toward another.  I (for one) hope that LAL isn't part of it.   I don't care about the rivalry, I want no part of Lakers threatening to take the most championships throne.
I could quite happily not see the Lakers make the finals for a decade or two! After our dynasty (and maybe another run ;))
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »

Offline EthanHarris

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
This year's team should be special, but what is nearly unprecedented is that the team is so loaded for improvement after this year. Only Horford and Baynes are on the back nine. The rest of the team is distributed very evenly from age 28 (Hayward) back to 20, and the team has 3 high quality draft picks besides their own coming.

Barring some bad luck, this is going to keep getting better as far as the eye can see.

I hope this year team will be the one we were supposed to see last year before Hayward and later on Kyrie got injured..
kyrie Irving is one of the best NBA players!

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2018, 06:51:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This year's team should be special, but what is nearly unprecedented is that the team is so loaded for improvement after this year. Only Horford and Baynes are on the back nine. The rest of the team is distributed very evenly from age 28 (Hayward) back to 20, and the team has 3 high quality draft picks besides their own coming.

Barring some bad luck, this is going to keep getting better as far as the eye can see.

I hope this year team will be the one we were supposed to see last year before Hayward and later on Kyrie got injured..
If anything this team has a considerably higher ceiling than last years, due to the assumed growth of our youngsters and the year Kyrie had to gel with us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)