Author Topic: Jabari Bird arrested  (Read 46165 times)

Re: Jabari Bird arrested
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It certainly looks bad for him.   

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2018, 09:30:47 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I wonder if Bird ever suffered a concussion.

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2018, 09:31:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Wow, talk about a rush to judgment.

Can we wait until the facts come in before cutting him?

He's been arrested and there would be probable cause to do so. In addition, not only was strangulation one of the allegations, but the female sustained injuries significant enough to be treated at a hospital. Not sure what facts do you think would could out that will exonerate him. Once more details are released via arrest form I would wager that it will make Bird look even worse.

Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing Bird coming out of this clean & it all being chalked up to some sort of a simple misunderstanding. 

Innocent until proven guilty but the stuff that's come out so far don't look promising in Bird's favor.

I mean, I suppose best-case scenario would be something like Bird has a previously-diagnosed mental health condition and either there was a change in his medication or something interacted with his medication in a negative way. Assuming the other person isn't hurt too badly (and I have no information on which to base that assumption) I could see the team giving him some time to focus on getting right with his doctor and letting him come back in a few weeks with the equivalent of a doctor's note if that were the case, particularly given the league's recent focus on mental health.

Lol no one is going to accept a bad reaction to medication as an excuse for putting a woman in the hospital.

Forget basketball, Jailbari will be lucky to keep his freedom..

People routinely commit more severe acts of violence without legal ramifications.  The mental health court system intervenes and requires a patient be compliant with community mental health teatment; when they aren't, they're involuntarily committed to a state inpatient psychiatric hospital.

The mental health defense is going to be a tough sell without any history of it. Fairly certain if Bird had any issues the team would have been privy to it (hipaa be [dang]ed) and wouldn't have signed him. You just don't take that risk for a bench warmer.

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely that Bird is psychotic and no one has noticed, I was just responding to the poster above.  There are some interesting scenarios that make for good arguments. Hard to parse psychopathology from criminal behavior, and then draw a subjective line for punishment somewhere
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He's been arrested and there would be probable cause to do so. In addition, not only was strangulation one of the allegations, but the female sustained injuries significant enough to be treated at a hospital. Not sure what facts do you think would could out that will exonerate him. Once more details are released via arrest form I would wager that it will make Bird look even worse.
so everyone who’s ever been arrested was guilty of a crime ? That’s not true

Nobody said that. What they said is, from the facts that we do know so far, it doesn't look good at all for Jabari.
why was Jason kidd allowed to keep playing after he beat his wife and the DUI?

Because he was Jason Kidd.  Not the 14th/15th player on a roster.
isnt that a double standard ? Teams and fans look the other way at crimes if one criminal bounces a ball better than another criminal.

It also was another age and another time. Jason would not get away with that at this time.

Yeah right. If Jason Kidd was cut 29 teams would line up to sign him.

If Jayson Tatum did this would we cut him?  Get real bro.

Just my opinion. There is little tolerance for guys that assault women. Have you not noticed?

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
He's gone. Outta here.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing Bird coming out of this clean & it all being chalked up to some sort of a simple misunderstanding. 

Innocent until proven guilty but the stuff that's come out so far don't look promising in Bird's favor.

I mean, I suppose best-case scenario would be something like Bird has a previously-diagnosed mental health condition and either there was a change in his medication or something interacted with his medication in a negative way. Assuming the other person isn't hurt too badly (and I have no information on which to base that assumption) I could see the team giving him some time to focus on getting right with his doctor and letting him come back in a few weeks with the equivalent of a doctor's note if that were the case, particularly given the league's recent focus on mental health.

Lol no one is going to accept a bad reaction to medication as an excuse for putting a woman in the hospital.

People routinely commit more severe acts of violence without legal ramifications.  The mental health court system intervenes and requires a patient be compliant with community mental health teatment; when they aren't, they're involuntarily committed to a state inpatient psychiatric hospital.

The mental health defense is going to be a tough sell without any history of it. Fairly certain if Bird had any issues the team would have been privy to it (hipaa be [dang]ed) and wouldn't have signed him. You just don't take that risk for a bench warmer.

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely that Bird is psychotic and no one has noticed, I was just responding to the poster above.  There are some interesting scenarios that make for good arguments. Hard to parse psychopathology from criminal behavior, and then draw a subjective line for punishment somewhere

There generally has to be some distance from reality for someone to use the "Hey I'm crazy" excuse barring some frontal lobe injury. Bird was on knocking on the door of the NBA. He's going to get prosecuted and jailed..

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2018, 11:14:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

There generally has to be some distance from reality for someone to use the "Hey I'm crazy" excuse barring some frontal lobe injury. Bird was on knocking on the door of the NBA. He's going to get prosecuted and jailed..

Yeah, he would need to be very clearly decompensated in most states, but for an oddball like California or Ohio.  Again, I don't believe this is the case, but it wouldn't be uncommon for him to have his first psychotic episode at age 24.  So it's possible.  And if that's the case, no big deal -- we can start a new "get well soon" thread for Jabari.

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2018, 11:24:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

its very possible he is psychotic. Or has mental issues. A nonexistent  history doesn’t mean anything. Remember keyon doolings issue? Or Delonte west? Royce white. Kevin loves Mental health problems in nba players are real, and a lot of times these people hide it for fear

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2018, 11:34:32 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

its very possible he is psychotic. Or has mental issues. A nonexistent  history doesn’t mean anything. Remember keyon doolings issue? Or Delonte west? Royce white. Kevin loves Mental health problems in nba players are real, and a lot of times these people hide it for fear

Kevin Love means non-violent stuff like depression. That's the cause celebre. Putting women in hospital beds by beating the ish out of them is not going to be on any NBA Cares commercials. He's catching three major charges..

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

It is possible that he has serious mental illness, like psychosis -- I just looked and he actually just turned 24 in July, where it could be his first major episode. 

I think most would argue one has mental health issues to strangle/kidnap someone, right? Or am I wrong there? I remember trying to keep quiet about Aaron Hernandez's mental health even after his suicide because most people understandably found his behavior stomach churning.  But to be fair, he was also a very sick person.   

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2018, 11:40:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

It is possible that he has serious mental illness, like psychosis -- I just looked and he actually just turned 24 in July, where it could be his first major episode. 

I think most would argue one has mental health issues to strangle/kidnap someone, right? Or am I wrong there? I remember trying to keep quiet about Aaron Hernandez's mental health even after his suicide because most people understandably found his behavior stomach churning.  But to be fair, he was also a very sick person.

That's a philosophical question more than anything. One could argue that criminAlity is mental illness but from the perspective of societal health it really doesn't matter. Unless some form of extreme distance from reality is established, responsibility for ones crimes is a first principle

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

That's a philosophical question more than anything. One could argue that criminAlity is mental illness but from the perspective of societal health it really doesn't matter. Unless some form of extreme distance from reality is established, responsibility for ones crimes is a first principle

TP, agree that safety and well-being of the masses should come before any one individual.  Without getting too wrapped up in psychobabble (unless you want to), how do we define the boundaries of "extreme distance from reality?"

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2018, 04:56:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

so everyone who’s ever been arrested was guilty of a crime ? That’s not true

Nobody said that. What they said is, from the facts that we do know so far, it doesn't look good at all for Jabari.
why was Jason kidd allowed to keep playing after he beat his wife and the DUI?

Because he was Jason Kidd.  Not the 14th/15th player on a roster.
isnt that a double standard ? Teams and fans look the other way at crimes if one criminal bounces a ball better than another criminal.

It also was another age and another time. Jason would not get away with that at this time.

Yeah right. If Jason Kidd was cut 29 teams would line up to sign him.

If Jayson Tatum did this would we cut him?  Get real bro.

Just my opinion. There is little tolerance for guys that assault women. Have you not noticed?

Yes that is of course true. But they haven’t changed to the point where fans of a team would clamor to cut their star after such an alleged incident.

And if that is the case, how far have we really come?

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2018, 06:31:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The rates for violence for mental illness is actually the about same rate as for people without mental illness. 4% to 3.7% so it is very close.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686644/

It is a myth that most people with mental illness are violent.   I have worked in the field for over 25 years and I have been attacked only once.  I worked inpatient, outpatient, etc.

The news of course, does not make it seem this way and Lawyers mine this as a defense.

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The rates for violence for mental illness is actually the about same rate as for people without mental illness. 4% to 3.7% so it is very close.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686644/

It is a myth that most people with mental illness are violent.   I have worked in the field for over 25 years and I have been attacked only once.  I worked inpatient, outpatient, etc.

The news of course, does not make it seem this way and Lawyers mine this as a defense.
Finally, some sense when it comes to using mental illness as an excuse for what Bird may have done. Mental illness does not equate to violence. Or innocence. It's not an excuse, except in some very rare cases.

Also, you can have mental illness and still break the law knowingly. You can have mental illness and break the law through a crime of passion. You can have mental illness and just be stupid and break the law.