Author Topic: Jabari Bird arrested  (Read 46115 times)

Re: Jabari Bird arrested
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Assault, stangle, kidnap.

Talk about a trifecta. Either dude has some serious mental problems or he was completely whacked out on something.

Sad because he had a glorious opportunity here. Will certainly be interesting to see the details of this.
Assault could be any sort of physical contact including pushing or grabbing.  They can charge kidnapping if she accused him of preventing her from leaving.   Strangulation is the unusual  charge and hard to think of a reasonable explanation that would minimize it.

To put it lightly, I don't think the police put you on a psychiatric hold for pushing someone away from the door and then standing in front of it and refusing to move.

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Next..... waive him if all this Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is true... i think every team should have some clauses when these things happen.. why pay a guy like that?

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Assault, stangle, kidnap.

Talk about a trifecta. Either dude has some serious mental problems or he was completely whacked out on something.

Sad because he had a glorious opportunity here. Will certainly be interesting to see the details of this.
Assault could be any sort of physical contact including pushing or grabbing.  They can charge kidnapping if she accused him of preventing her from leaving.   Strangulation is the unusual  charge and hard to think of a reasonable explanation that would minimize it.

To put it lightly, I don't think the police put you on a psychiatric hold for pushing someone away from the door and then standing in front of it and refusing to move.
I'm guessing that they were aware that Bird is a member of the Celtics so he'd have been cut some slack - at least in terms of the initial charges - pending further investigation.  I'd say it doesn't look too good for him at this point.

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Any ramifications on the salary cap for dumping him?

The first year of his contract is guaranteed, so unless we trade him, we’re stuck paying him and will have his salary count against the cap / luxury tax.
is it possible the celtics offer bird a buyout slightly larger than the salary so as to remove the overage to the salary cap?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The first year of his contract is guaranteed, so unless we trade him, we’re stuck paying him and will have his salary count against the cap / luxury tax.

He could have been part of a package to get under the tax that returned a future pick or something.

Now they'll have to send out his salary in cash plus a second to get rid of him.
I'd be surprised if any team would trade for him.  The PR would be really bad.
Not really. The C's would send him out, a million dollars and a 2nd round pick. The team receiving him would announce that they are immediately releasing him, so he would never be a part of the team. It would be more a transfer of money than a trade for a player.

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We never should have given him the roster spot in the first place. Scrubs shouldn’t be bringing the team bad publicity.
are you saying that somehow the celtics management should have foreseen this? otherwise, i am not sure of your opening statement.

next, if the charges by the police are accurate, bird is in big trouble, as he should be.

but it is still early and the reports are not set in place. i wont rush to judgement and will wait to see more.

i hope the charges are not accurate. but if they are, jail time for bird might result.

too bad. i really thought he had a chance to do well with the celtics. and now he may have frittered away his biggest chance in his life.

They are two different statements.

1. We shouldn't have signed him.  He's a fringe player, added to other fringe players we already had.  We should have given him a take-it-or-leave-it two-way deal, and rostered a potential rotation player.

2. Scrubs should be smart enough to know they're hanging on in the NBA by a thread, and should take steps to ensure they don't put themselves in compromising situations.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I would not be surprised but when/if the C's confirm this - he's gone.

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

is it possible the celtics offer bird a buyout slightly larger than the salary so as to remove the overage to the salary cap?

No.  Whatever we pay him goes on our salary cap.  The only way we avoid some sort of cap hit would be if he agreed to a buyout of $0, which is exceedingly unlikely.

nick's scenario is the most likely:  we ship him to a another team with enough money to cover his salary and then some, and then they cut him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Waiting to hear the full story until I pass judgment.   

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
People have to realize this is all allegations at the moment. He could have been set up. Or maybe he felt his life was in danger or something. No one knows the details.

It’s unfortunate that this situation has  occurred however.

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
People have to realize this is all allegations at the moment. He could have been set up. Or maybe he felt his life was in danger or something. No one knows the details.

We know that the police believe they have probable cause for assault, kidnapping and strangulation.  We know he's in custody, hospitalized, and being evaluated.  We know his alleged victim was hospitalized for injuries.

While he's innocent until proven guilty, the very preliminary details aren't spectacular for him.

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We don't know what really happened....so until we do,  I'm going to be  :-X

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 01:16:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It doesn’t look good and I suspect he’ll be cut.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
If true (and it doesn’t look good for him), can we void his contract? Is there a moral terpitude or criminal behavior clause built in?

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Wow, talk about a rush to judgment.

Can we wait until the facts come in before cutting him?